Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update

azeal
Follower

Firmware Update

Orbi RBR using Firmware  V2.3.1.60

Got email msg to upgrade

Using Orbi app on iPhone, get ERROR msg that there's a problem checking my firmware so can't proceed.

Using my iMac I manually downloaded files but suspect they are only PC files & can't open them.

Any recommendations?

Hate to pay for support for this issue but willing to do so if necessary.

Thanks

azeal@comcast.net

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Re: Firmware Update

You don't need to open the downloaded files in your Mac. The files should be in .img or .chk format.

Please follow the steps in the following article to manually upgrade your Orbi: https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The download from Netgear is a ".zip" file, correct. On Windows, we have to "extract" the ".img" file before we can upload it to the Orbi.

(Rant: What is it with Netgear and (1) these emails telliing people to upgrade, and (2) the "app" which doesn't work!)

Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

the Orbi app ALWAYS can’t reach the upgrade server then this is an indication of bad routing in the network. Please check for double routers. You can easily check this using traceroute command:

Please open a Command Prompt (Terminal) on your Mac attached to Orbi and type:

> traceroute 8.8.8.8

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT, and this can be the reason for the app not able to reach upgrade server 
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the cause of the issue,

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@azeal wrote:

Got email msg to upgrade

What did the email actually say?

You MUST upgrade?

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

All .zip, .img and .chk files are OS cross platform compatible. 

Use a web browser, like Safari or Firefox or Opera ON your Mac to connect with the RBR/RBS web pages to up date them using there web pages. Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

There are issues when using the Orbi app. 

@azeal wrote:

Orbi RBR using Firmware  V2.3.1.60

Got email msg to upgrade

Using Orbi app on iPhone, get ERROR msg that there's a problem checking my firmware so can't proceed.

Using my iMac I manually downloaded files but suspect they are only PC files & can't open them.

Any recommendations?

Hate to pay for support for this issue but willing to do so if necessary.

Thanks

azeal@comcast.net

Message 6 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @azeal

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7