Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

Stkasm
Apprentice

@captain_phaser So, I had a similiar problem before, back when I had only one router and one satelite. What you can do is drop TX power for 2.4Ghz to like 25% on Orbi, which will level it up with 5Ghz band. Clients should stop switching to it.

Message 26 of 810
st_shaw
Master

Unless I'm overlooking something, it looks like you can no longer adjust the radio power in this version.

Also, I'm still seeing the bug on the home screen where the number of connected sats shows 0 momentarily. Happens much less frequently now though.

Message 27 of 810
cue003
Apprentice

Hmmm.

"Fixes the issue where the 2.4 GHz backhaul setting is disabled if the fronthaul MU-MIMO and TxBF is disabled."

I thought the backhaul was 5 GHz??? Where does 2.4 backhaul come from?
Message 28 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You can see the 2.4 backhaul if you use a wifi analyzer.  It appears to only appear when the sats aren't connected via 5ghz.

Message 29 of 810
st_shaw
Master

@Stkasm wrote:

What you can do is drop TX power for 2.4Ghz to like 25% on Orbi, which will level it up with 5Ghz band. Clients should stop switching to it.

Have you tried that on the new firmware?

Message 30 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

I also can't find the radio power options in the settings. Over the past few updates it seems the ability to manually upgrade/downgrade firmware (without Orbi autoupdating), control radio power output, and enable or disable either 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands has been removed. Again, I say it's great to leave these changes as default settings, just leave them configurable in the advanced settings for people who have more specific issues.

Message 31 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

@Stkasm wrote:

What you can do is drop TX power for 2.4Ghz to like 25% on Orbi, which will level it up with 5Ghz band. Clients should stop switching to it.

Have you tried that on the new firmware?

I did not. When I left for work this morning, my system was still running 1.11. I plan to update it this evening.

Message 32 of 810
martyfp
Luminary

Early days but iPhones have so far been pretty solid. Will see over next few days.

One note, our surround sound system has suddenly started connecting on 5GHz instead of 2.4. Never seen if do that on the Orbi.
Message 33 of 810
nizmoz
Apprentice

Took netgear almost a year to release the fix for the disconnects if this actually fixes them.  I would have expected better from such a large company.

Message 34 of 810
Doug-48051
Luminary

I have been transferring 100GB video files to watch for drops.... 7 hrs and all is good.

7-11-5pm.PNG

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 35 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

@captain_phaser 

I still don't see the logic to take away the option to disable 2.4GHz those who want both on can, those who don't have the option.  In my environment speeds and range were fine using only 5GHz radio. I have absolutely no need for 2.4Ghz.  Now even take away the ability to lower the radio power on top of taking away the option to disable? we all have different needs and environments one shoe does not fit all.

Message 36 of 810
JAYSONE
Star

Can anyone help me!?!

My orbi system was previously auto updated to V1.12.0.20. Today it is now on this version and now I have the following issues.

The satellites are NOT showing up under "Attached Devices" as satellites...they do however, show up under connected devices. Logging into their respective status pages by way of their listed ip, I see that both of my satellites are updated to this latest version and the wireless AP are listed as OFF, 2.4ghz & 5ghz are listed as disabled.

My router is acting fine and the satellites are connected to it...how do I enable the wifi on the satellites so my devices can connect to them?

Please advise, this is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance.

Message 37 of 810
marshymallow
Apprentice

It happened to me initially after the FW update. Power off and On the Sat and wait awhile. The main router should set things right thereafter.
Message 38 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

thanks for the update doug, I currently have mine set up in AP mode. 

Message 39 of 810
Doug-48051
Luminary

13 hours.. stable through-put

7-11-11pm.PNG

Message 40 of 810
MrHudson
Star

I was hopeful this update would show me the following under attached devices:

1. Which band (2.4 or 5.0GHz) a wireless device is attached to. How about just replace the term Wireless in that column with 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz?)

2. which unit (base or satellite) an attached  device is linked with

Does anyone know how I can determine from the router interface what band a given devices is using at any given point in time?

Message 41 of 810
cue003
Apprentice

The Orbi seems to behave differently for those that have experienced issues when running in AP vs Router mode. Router mode seemed to give people more problems than AP. It would be nice to see as more people comment on this thread what node their system/configuration is running in.
Message 42 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Message 43 of 810
JAYSONE
Star

Marshymallow,

Did as you suggested and actually unplugged both my orbi setup still the same at the moment...how long did it take for things to sort itself out?

I am in router mode and have two satellites. FWIW

Message 44 of 810
martyfp
Luminary

note : you can enable the feature to display the band that each attached devices is connected though. Follow the instructions here :

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/hidden-features/td-p/1149584

It does not tell you which unit it is attached to though,

Message 45 of 810
marshymallow
Apprentice

@JAYSONE wrote:

Marshymallow,

Did as you suggested and actually unplugged both my orbi setup still the same at the moment...how long did it take for things to sort itself out?

I am in router mode and have two satellites. FWIW

Actually all I did was Power Off then On the sat unit.

There will be white blinking light on the Sat for maybe a minute or so followed by contant blue.

I will then check router admin again and then i see the sat proper.

If it's unsuccessful for you, just do a router reset and setup the whole system again.

Message 46 of 810
dowop
Tutor

Link will not work for me.

I can see the satelite on the router log in & the adress was changed. Tried logging into the satellie with new address & no joy.

Message 47 of 810
tolive
Guide

I can feel your pain. My daughter starts to tether her cell phone and simply uses her (unlimited) mobile data for her MacBook Air too since I bought the new toy 2 weeks ago.

Message 48 of 810

yeah that's what I was thinking, downloads.netgear.com is the download URL it appears from their download link on their website. Talking to support right now about it.

Message 49 of 810
tolive
Guide

The problem is, is there any previous firmware version that does not have the Wi-Fi disconnecting issue? 

Message 50 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7