Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Interesting.  I have both the Orbi and Genie apps on my iPhone.  After the 1.12.0.18 update, the Orbi app does incorrectly show everything as wired; however, the Genie app correctly shows what is wired and what is WiFi.

Message 76 of 810
TheEther
Guru

@OrbiPhilip, the Tx B/s value for WLAN Backhaul is bogus.  In computer programming, 4294967295 represents the largest value of 32 bit unsigned integer.  It can also represent the value -1 for a 32 bit signed integer.  There is clearly a bug in the firmware.

Message 77 of 810
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We are investigating. Stay tuned
Message 78 of 810
madmaxx_71
Star

I lost IGMPv3 support (no more IPTV) after update to v1.12.0.18. Anyone else having the same problem?
Message 79 of 810
dsc_dewain
Guide

**UPDATE RESOLVED **

Turns out when I hit the status page on the satellite, the firmware update never took affect originally.

The satellite was still on v1.11.0.20

I manually updated the firmware, now I see it as an attached device, and also on the firmware update page.

With V1.12.0.18 My satellite doesn't show up anymore in the attached devices, etc. I've powered it off and stuff, but doesn't show up.  Anyone else having this issue?

Message 80 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

@AmitR which issue is being investigated? So we all know? Genie app issue where everything is showing wired and 100% signal? Or bogus backhaul Tx/Rx data rates?

Message 81 of 810
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Yes, I've been having the same issue with 1.12.0.18.

Something about it doesn't seem to agree with any model of Orbi satellite, and causes a variety of symptoms like:

• Orbi satellites showing up as WiFi clients instead of satellites under "Attached Devices".
  • Orbi satellites not having their non-backhaul WiFi switched on once fully booted.
  • Very slow ping between Orbi satellites and the router, and between connected devices and the net.
  • Firmware update checker returning "Update failed" status on the satellite (possibly a symptom of the ping issue).
Message 82 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

Can we also get a confirmation from Netgear that functionality  lost in 1.12.0.18 like disabling radio, scheduling, tweaking 2.4Gz TX power will be added back? It's a regression that can't be found anywhere in the release notes

Message 83 of 810
jeraboom
Star

My router is running 1.12.0.18 and I'm not seeing my satellites listed as connected. Also, When I go to Firmware Update, only the router is listed - the satellites do not show up there either (so I can't tell what firmware version they are running). They are not showing up as a "connected device" either on the "Attached Devices" screen.

That said, at this moment I'm connected to one of the satellites via Ethernet cable, so it does actually seem to be connected - just not showing up on the admin screen.

I have done a factory reset on both sateliites and rebooted the router, but that didn't seem to fix anything. 

Message 84 of 810
DUSTOFF2
Guide

Here is what I can say, all connectuons are showing wired adter update. Prior to update I was getting full or close to my 175 meg down and 23 to 25 meg up. After update that has,been cut to about 80 to 90 meg if going of the sattelite. The up always remains the same at 23 to 25 meg.
I unplugged the Sat so it just go bandwidth from router. The router is in basement and Sat is on main floor. The speed I got was around 60 to 65 meg down and 23 up. When I go downstairs,with speed test I get the 175. Something not going on well with the sat.....they both have updated firware... if this is not corrected soon they going back I want my 175 back from sattelite
Message 85 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

I have it  in AP mode, web ui is showing Wired / Wireless correctly. I also tested both satellites, I can get 400-500Mbps from each of them.

Message 86 of 810
DUSTOFF2
Guide

I should also mention the the satellite does turn blue and have tried it in multiple locations now trying to get my speed back... clearely the router is putting out max wireless internet speed but satellite is somehow crippled with this update.....Netgear what is going on. Backhaul I understand,has also been affected with this update
Message 87 of 810

Couple of comments.

I cannot disable the 2.4 GHz Radio.  This sucks because my MacBook Pro has better performance when connected to the 5 GHz.

If I enable the 2.4 GHz Guest Network to connect my Sonos speakers and Nest, will I be able to connect them if my devices connect through 5 GHz network?

george

Message 88 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

@Tigerman4LSU wrote:

Couple of comments.

I cannot disable the 2.4 GHz Radio.  This sucks because my MacBook Pro has better performance when connected to the 5 GHz.

If I enable the 2.4 GHz Guest Network to connect my Sonos speakers and Nest, will I be able to connect them if my devices connect through 5 GHz network?

george

Do not connect Sonos to your guest network, please. Use regular WiFi network. And yes, 5G and 2.4G devices can see even other

Message 89 of 810
MrHudson
Star

Relative to ability to turn off a wireless band, wouldn't it be even more ideal to be able to click on the MAC address in the Attached Devices list and give the preferred or priority order for connectivity (e.g., automatic, prefer 2.4, prefer 5.8, or do not connect wirelessly)? In that way, you could let some device automatically steer while others were automatically steered to the preferred band?

I also note in my Windows machines that I can set a band preference in the Wi-Fi network card properties. Maybe this is an option to help you in the Mac world also?

In my case I have some Ring Pro doorbells with lower RSSI's when beamforming is enabled. I am not sure if the lower RSSI I get on them while beamforming is enabled is about a truly worse conenction or if it has steered to 5GHz so naturally the signal will be weaker but bandwidth potentially better. That is what drove my earlier hopes that they would display which band is connected in the Attached Devices list.

Message 90 of 810
MrHudson
Star

I was working in the attached devices table today and clicked on one of the named devices to change the name. My finding was that there were some new controls with in this dialogue. I do not recall ever before seeing fields about the manufacture or the combo box that allows you to change the type of device it is. I wonder what the functionality of this is. Does it perhaps allow certain ports more open or is it trying to steer certain functionality towards that device maybe even QOS  priorities? 

Message 91 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Is anyone else noticing a huge decrease in connection speed with the update? Not over wifi, but wired throughput to the internet. I have an 900Mbps connection, which reliably gave be speed tests of 750-850Mbps prior to updating to 1.12.0.18. since then both my upstream and downstream speeds have halved. 

I've only owned the Orbi for a couple of weeks and I have to say, for the price I'm really disappointed. The broken QOS settings, MU-MIMO issues, implicit beamforming issues and general inconsistent and poor quality of the web admin tools is what I'd expect out of a budget router, not a premium priced product. And that said, there are plenty of budget routers out there with a far better and more polished software experience. 

It really doesn't seem like Netgear are putting much resource into this product and unless they start to show a real commitment to this product soon, I'll be looking at cutting my losses and selling the Orbi on.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 92 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

Not really. Though with some speed tests, I see brief stoppages. However, DSL reports shows this... and I have Comcast 100/5 service.

Message 93 of 810
Landerx
Apprentice

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

How can I get that Update Failed message to go away? I updated to the latest firmware.

Status
RouterRBR50RBR50V1.12.0.18No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50RBS50V1.12.0.18Update failed
Message 94 of 810
la79
Apprentice

Have you tried factory resetting the entire orbi? Perhaps that will clear it out.
Message 95 of 810
Landerx
Apprentice

I did try factory resetting. That did not work.

Message 96 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

I had the same thing happen. What I did was first downloaded 1.12.0.18 firmware and updated both router and satellite manually even though it was already the same version. It still said update failed on the satellite, so I turned both units off, and then turned the router on, followed by the satellite. I Manually pressed sync on the router 1st and then the satellite and after they synced, the error was gone. I think the power cycle followed by the re-sync did the trick, but you could try the whole procedure I did if that doesn't work.

Message 97 of 810
Landerx
Apprentice

I tried that too. No luck. Still that same message on the sattelite.

Message 98 of 810
Thorborg
Guide

My connection suddenly got unstable a couple of days ago and now I see it came when my reouter updatede to the new firmware.
How do I go back the previous version that worked for me?

Message 99 of 810
madmaxx_71
Star

Unfortunately, the v1.12.0.18 update killed multicast/IGMPv3 support. Everything worked fine with the previous version (v1.11.0.20). I tried downgrading the firmware which worked smoothly, only to find that the firmware is updated automatically again and thus killing my IPTV again. What can I do to at least stop auto-updating? Please help. Thanks

Alex

Message 100 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7