Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Seattleite
Guide

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

Just to add to the signal (and hopefully not the noise) - 

I do not have beam-forming nor mu-mimo enabled, and yet I have also lost connectivity to my 2 satellites. They show up as connected devices, but not as satellites. I'll admit I haven't been actively checking out firmware revisions, but would anyone like to guess when an updated and fixed firmware might be released? I can wait a day or two, but if it's going to be weeks, I think I'll have to revert to a previous firmware and disable the auto-updates...

Thanks in advance....

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 126 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@Seattleite wrote:

Just to add to the signal (and hopefully not the noise) - 

I do not have beam-forming nor mu-mimo enabled, and yet I have also lost connectivity to my 2 satellites. They show up as connected devices, but not as satellites. I'll admit I haven't been actively checking out firmware revisions, but would anyone like to guess when an updated and fixed firmware might be released? I can wait a day or two, but if it's going to be weeks, I think I'll have to revert to a previous firmware and disable the auto-updates...

Thanks in advance....

Can you log in to the two satellites? If so, can you tell if other devices are connected to the satellites. If you log in to the router, you should be able to see the IP address for each satellite. Then try logging in to each one via that IP address with the same credentials for the router.

Message 127 of 810
Seattleite
Guide

I just logged in to both satellites. From the status page image, it appears that both the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz are (Disabled), with Wireless AP off,  and none too surprisingly, no devices are connected to either of them. They are both running with firmware V1.12.0.18.

Message 128 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@Seattleite wrote:

I just logged in to both satellites. From the status page image, it appears that both the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz are (Disabled), with Wireless AP off,  and none too surprisingly, no devices are connected to either of them. They are both running with firmware V1.12.0.18.

And, your modem/router is back in Bridge mode? 

I'm not an expert, but have -some- experience and I'd suggest modem/router be left in bridge mode, with wifi turned off. With two routers with wifi signals, things can work against each other, both routing-wise and radio-wise.

Message 129 of 810
Seattleite
Guide

My modem is just a modem! There's no wifi router in there.... 

Message 130 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@Seattleite wrote:

Okay. All Orbis on same fw version? No duplicate IP addresses visible in router login? I'm really puzzled, if you have rebooted the Orbis. Now, beyond my expertise. I'll watch this thread. 

Message 131 of 810
Seattleite
Guide

Yup, they're all on V1.12.0.18. It looks like there are other Orbi users with the same loss of satellites. When I get home, I'll do a manual update of the firmware just in case it was corrupted somehow....

Thanks for the tip on logging into the satellites directly!

Message 132 of 810
dpdurst
Luminary

Mine ran about a day and then the following day in the afternoon the Sat dropped and was no longer connected. I could get to it via the IP, and had 2 devices connected to it but it didn't show up in the Router page at all.

Reset both router and satellite and then resync both back up and its been fine so far.

Message 133 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@dpdurst wrote:

Mine ran about a day and then the following day in the afternoon the Sat dropped and was no longer connected. I could get to it via the IP, and had 2 devices connected to it but it didn't show up in the Router page at all.

Reset both router and satellite and then resync both back up and its been fine so far.

I had a bubble like that on the first day, then everything settled down by itself before I had a chance to restart everything. I hate networking. For me personally, it's the worst part of our computer age. 

Message 134 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

@Seattleite wrote:

I don't know why that made me laugh.

Message 135 of 810
la79
Apprentice

You know with all the problems everyone is having I wish Netgear would at least acknowledge the issues. Some type of update as to what they are doing to fix the problems or when we can expect a new firmware to be released.

Message 136 of 810
tpgall
Guide

I upgraded to 1.12.0.18 over the weekend. It went 3 days then I lost my internet connection twice today.  It is back to the way it was where it WIFI will be up but I don't have an internet connection.  I tried disabling DOS protection with no affect. Come guys, Netgear has been in the business long enough to have a better quality product than this.  Is this a true Netgear product or have you licensed it from someone else?  Not up to my quality expectations.  Are you paying off the Orbi reviewers?

Message 137 of 810
Hydro130
Luminary

My experience so far with 12.0.18 has been great - no disconnects, and all devices are connecting well on 5ghz whenever they should (none getting stuck on 2.4), and the satellitle is picking up the devices I expect it should (versus those getting stuck on the router or something like that).

As with previous versions of the firmware, I continue to get ~120% of my provisioned internet speed everywhere in my house (and front/back yards) on 5Ghz.

The only nagging problem I was having prior to this latest firmware was disconnects on iOS wifi-calling, and those issues now seem to be resolved - no dropped calls with this latest f/w.

I manually loaded the firmware when it came out and did a factory reset as part of that update process - I do that with every major firmware release.

I'm not a Netgear fanboi or paid reviewer - I'm a happy Orbi user overall, but I'm not without some gripes too...  The app is a worthless joke, and I'm diappointed that the ability to control Tx power for the 2.4 network was taken away.  That needs to come back.  

But for basic reliable internet coverage that just plain works, my Orbi is rockin' it these days.

Message 138 of 810
BStinger
Tutor

@JMU1998 wrote:

Now I have a 2.4GHz radio on for which I have zero use contributing to the interference in an already congested neighborhood and NO way to turn it off or turn the signal down!! How nice to have a 2.4GHz radio with no assigned SSID running for which I have no use brilliant design! Why Netgear why did you take away the ability to turn off or reduced power on 2.4GHz? 

I agree completely!  I also have no use for the 2.4GHz radio.

Why is Netgear taking away features??  Leave the advanced options in the system for advanced users!!

Message 139 of 810
BStinger
Tutor

@Stkasm wrote:

Can we also get a confirmation from Netgear that functionality  lost in 1.12.0.18 like disabling radio, scheduling, tweaking 2.4Gz TX power will be added back? It's a regression that can't be found anywhere in the release notes

Netgear please respond for all that you are going to put back the features for all of the advanced users.

Message 140 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same - Everything is working very well. interesting, especially in light of reading all of the comments about everything going south on this FW update for so many other users out there.  I'm not going to say that the update was without headaches.  For some reason, i had trouble updating the firmware on the satellites - could not get it done wirelessly, as the app just would not take the update file.  I've read that one should update the satellites before updating the router, so I tried to do so several times, without success - the satellites just would not take the firmware file (I tried using the app and then tried updating by connecting to the IP addresses).  So, I went against what I had read, and just had did the update through the router page - updated the router, but lost the satellites.  After resetting the satellites, tried again to update through the app and then IP addresses - no dice.  Finally, I decided to connect directly to the satellites with an Ethernet cable and guess what? - the satellites firmware update went through without any hassle.  Still, the satellites were showing up as "connected", but not as "satellites".  So, I manually reset everything (yep, a paperclip in the little hole by the power inlet, until the amber light was flashing) , and then low and behold, everything connected.  Since then, everything has been working perfectly.  I'll count myself as being blessed by whatever network god there is out there.  As a side note, I have now enabled beam-forming and MU-MIMO.  Through-put is excellent on everything, and I have about 30 devices.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that possibly, others may mine some sort of gem from my experience.  No - I'm not an IT expert by any means, so don't try to slay me with whatever criticism.  I'm just a regular guy trying to get things working in my home.

Message 141 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@Hydro130 wrote:

My experience so far with 12.0.18 has been great - no disconnects, and all devices are connecting well on 5ghz whenever they should (none getting stuck on 2.4), and the satellitle is picking up the devices I expect it should (versus those getting stuck on the router or something like that).

As with previous versions of the firmware, I continue to get ~120% of my provisioned internet speed everywhere in my house (and front/back yards) on 5Ghz.

The only nagging problem I was having prior to this latest firmware was disconnects on iOS wifi-calling, and those issues now seem to be resolved - no dropped calls with this latest f/w.

I manually loaded the firmware when it came out and did a factory reset as part of that update process - I do that with every major firmware release.

I'm not a Netgear fanboi or paid reviewer - I'm a happy Orbi user overall, but I'm not without some gripes too...  The app is a worthless joke, and I'm diappointed that the ability to control Tx power for the 2.4 network was taken away.  That needs to come back.  

But for basic reliable internet coverage that just plain works, my Orbi is rockin' it these days.

That's great, but what is your provisioned speed?

There's no denying the firware is buggy as hell, just take a look at the broken QOS page. The Orbi may cover a couple of dead spots, but it's nowhere near as reliable as my three year old Asus RT-N66U at a fifth of the price. 

Message 142 of 810
Hydro130
Luminary

@scornwell wrote:

@Hydro130 wrote:

That's great, but what is your provisioned speed?

There's no denying the firware is buggy as hell, just take a look at the broken QOS page. The Orbi may cover a couple of dead spots, but it's nowhere near as reliable as my three year old Asus RT-N66U at a fifth of the price. 

I just have 100/10 service form Comcast, and I consistently get ~120/12 .  With single-unit routers I've used in the past (incl Asus 88 and 5300), that same broad level of coverage I now get at max speeds was not possbile.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues - it's certainly not my position that frustrating connection-inhibiting issues don't exist for some people, but I am saying that those issues definitely aren't affect ALL Orbi users.

Message 143 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

With this many people still having issues with the Orbi products, I find it odd that we don't seem to be getting much communication from Netgear. The Orbi costs $350-$500+ for the 2 or 3 pack. It's not a sub $100 entry level router. While there are some users on here who are downright angry, I think the fact is that most of us just want the Orbi to work. It is a powerful product with great potential.

In addition, it's odd that such a high priced product is limited to 90 days of "complimentary" tech support. I've only had my kit for less than 2 weeks but I'm not sure I'd like to keep it with only a 1 year warranty and only 70ish days of support left. Luckily I have a 90 day return period for any reason, but I'm still hoping for the Orbi to get better.

It'd be great if the following could be directly addressed:

• Removal of option to disable/enable 2.4Ghz/5Ghz bands
  • Removal of turning off either band via schedule
  • Removal of adjusting power output of both bands
  • Removal of debug feature allowing users to see which specific band a device is connected to

The Orbi could also use the following improvements other than the obvious stability issues:

• An actual option to disable automatic updates
  • Attached Devices shows that devices are attached via wired/2.4G/5G connection and either router, sat1, sat2...etc
  • Ability to create separate SSIDs
  • Ethernet Backhaul (Seems to be coming August/Sept) according to rumors
  • USB shared storage
  • By device QoS
  • Other "advanced" features 

The Orbi was released late August 2016 and the main key features I've seen added are a guest network and shared USB printer. In exchange, we've lost functionality. If I were a prospective buyer viewing these forums right now I'd be wary of making a purchase. 

Also, if the firmware team is truly still tied up with stability updates, perhaps expanding the team is needed. The Orbi is now almost 1 year old and is yet to be a stable device for many.

I've seen some argue that these "advanced" features aren't part of the Orbi's target market, but there are quite a few users on the forums calling for these configuration options. Adding these features would increase the Orbi's marketability as it would be more of "an Orbi for all." This way those that prefer minimal user interaction and those that prefer fine tuning their system would be satisfied.

@DarrenM @AmitR Any chance we could get a response? Thank you.

Message 144 of 810

Curious what debug feature lets you see the band clients connect to in prior firmware version?

Message 145 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Hydro130 wrote: 

I just have 100/10 service form Comcast, and I consistently get ~120/12 .  With single-unit routers I've used in the past (incl Asus 88 and 5300), that same broad level of coverage I now get at max speeds was not possbile.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues - it's certainly not my position that frustrating connection-inhibiting issues don't exist for some people, but I am saying that those issues definitely aren't affect ALL Orbi users.

I didn't mean to imply you were denying other's issues, just treying to get some context. If the throughput issue is a limit to 400Mbps, it's  not going to affect anyone who doesn't test at that speed. You may well be having the same issue as me, but not know it.

My WiFi speed has now dropped to 30Mbps from any connected device, for seemingly no reason. The Orbi hardware seems fine and when it's working it's great, but the software is crap and we're being used as beta testers because Netgear are doing a poor job of internal testing. This is unacceptible for a premium priced router.

Message 146 of 810
mdroyle
Aspirant

Upgrade has fixed BT YouView so happiness. But... function to turn off wifi between certain times seems to have disappeared so not good as v useful function when you have teenagers. Anyone else noticed this? Have raised a ticket as would like it reinstated. 

Message 147 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@esiebert7625 wrote:

Curious what debug feature lets you see the band clients connect to in prior firmware version?

@esiebert7625 From this thread it looks this was a feature available prior to firmware 1.3.0.12 back in October 2016! You could see what band and unit (router/satellite) devices were connected to in the main router config page. There is a telnet bypass, but it only restores the specific band, not which unit a device is connected to.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Connected-Devices-displaying-differently-since-update-to-V1-3-...  

Message 148 of 810
CDELL801
Aspirant

looked around and unable to find the answer to this.. but in Firmware V1.12.0.18 the radio power is now missing, does that means its now on auto? locked to what i had set it to? 100%? anyone have any ideas?

Message 149 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@CDELL801 wrote:

looked around and unable to find the answer to this.. but in Firmware V1.12.0.18 the radio power is now missing, does that means its now on auto? locked to what i had set it to? 100%? anyone have any ideas?

The ability to set the power levels for both bands has indeed been removed. The reasoning has yet to be stated by Netgear. See my earlier post for other issues that need to be addressed: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/m-p/1325589#M10542 

If you'd like to rollback firmware without auto-updating, download the previous firmware files for the router and satellite, then add a domain block for downloads.netgear.com and save to your config. Then proceed to do a manual update.

Message 150 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7