Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

scornwell
Apprentice

captain_phaser wrote: 

If you'd like to rollback firmware without auto-updating, download the previous firmware files for the router and satellite, then add a domain block for downloads.netgear.com and save to your config. Then proceed to do a manual update.

From my experience, once you've manually rolled back the firmware it won't auto-update. 

Message 151 of 810
KGrue
Guide

I am still getting disconnects on my iPad 10.5 Pro, same as I had on previous firmwares on my old iPad Air 2. 

They are only for a few seconds but enough to notice!

So, for me v1.12.0.18 hasn't improved matters at all.

Message 152 of 810
lordmagister
Aspirant

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

1.12.0.18 has totally trashed my satellite from what was a working perfectly fine setup. The satellite no longer activates its WiFi radios, shows up as a client on "unknown" on the router and is basically not passing any traffic back to the router.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 153 of 810
Stkasm
Apprentice

@KGrue wrote:

I am still getting disconnects on my iPad 10.5 Pro, same as I had on previous firmwares on my old iPad Air 2. 

They are only for a few seconds but enough to notice!

So, for me v1.12.0.18 hasn't improved matters at all.

Are you sure it's not roaming? We have three iOS devices of different generations - iPad air, iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s, they do not have any problems working with wifi. Nothing changed after 1.2.0.18 update

Message 154 of 810
sg1838
Aspirant

I had such high hopes for this router, but am seriously starting to regret my decision to purchase this.  Since it has been installed, I have seen intermittent network / Internet dropouts, and I just experienced one again a few seconds ago.  Like others, it generally only lasts a few seconds, but as many of you know, a few seconds is enough to drop that Skype call or get you booted from your online game.  We're fairly heavy users, with 25+ devices in the house, including a couple of teenagers that are constantly streaming videos and gaming, and as of a couple of months ago we decided to become cord-cutters, and now use Playstation Vue, Hulu, and Amazon TV heavily.

My router was automatically updated to 1.12.0.18 firmware, and I did experience the issue that many of you have seen where the satellite didn't reconnect to the main unit.  This is what drove me to the forum in the first place, and to see if there was potentially a new firmware version that I could install.  Who would have guessed that the firmware update was what caused the problem in the first place.  That issue is fixed now (a complete reboot of the entire system, and most of my network devices), but I am VERY disappointed to see that the intermittent dropouts have NOT been fixed.  To make matters worse, Netgear's response to try to fix this issue appears to be disabling a WHOLE BUNCH of useful features, such as schedules (are you kidding me...this has been one of the MOST BASIC features available for routers for YEARS!)

I didn't spend $400 for this.  I spent the money to get me speed, coverage for my entire home, and most important, network stability.  The speed is there, but I honestly don't believe that the coverage is any better than my R7000 Nighthawk (I have that running in AP mode, and can connect to it anywhere that I can connect to the Orbi), and the stability of the Orbi is terrible.

One of the suggestions I saw was to completely factory reset the Orbi if you are still having problems after the firmware upgrade.  I am willing to do that, but I don't want to do that if I'm just wasting my time.  So, can anybody tell me if I can TRULY expect any improvement if I factory reset my unit?  Is it a 1 in 10 shot, or a 1 in 1,000,000 shot?

I'm just so disappointed.  Is it time to switch to Asus or Airport Extreme, or do I seriously start looking at commercial routers?  So far, just about every consumer router I have purchased from Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, Trendnet, and TP-Link have been crap (my old Linksys WRT54G was the best router I ever owned, but from what I've read online the new versions of this router aren't that good).  I can say this:  I would have a VERY hard time handing over hundreds of more dollars to Netgear after this experience.

Sorry for the length of the message...I guess I just needed to vent my frustrations.  I am interested to hear your feedback though regarding the factory reset of my Orbi.

Thanks,

Jason

Message 155 of 810
a2fontaines
Tutor

did the reset... did not help

got to previous firmware... still not perfect lolSmiley Surprised

Message 156 of 810
la79
Apprentice

Yeah, I did a formal reset of my system after the update also and it did nothing problems were still there.

Message 157 of 810
tolive
Guide

I tried to reset several times, by pressing the reset button, and by factory reset command in the router admin page,  unfortunately, it doesn't fix the intermittent Internet disconnection issue.

At this time, I have to put my old ASUS RT-AC68U router back as the primary router for my home, and connect the RBK50 to my ASUS router setting it as a test environment...

Message 158 of 810
Replevin
Star

I'm new to this message board although I've had this router for the past several months.  Here's my observation:

1.  Someone pushed-out a automatic firmware update that broke, at a minimum, the link between the satellite and the router (for many users);

2.  This occurred late last week.  It is now Tuesday and the broken firmware is still on the website and still auto-updating (and breaking) many satellites.

So putting aside whether someone actually tested this firmware before it was released, it is beyond me why Netgear would persist with an auto-updating firmware version when there are so many reports of problems.  I don't think it is a stretch to suggest that the best practice would be to remove the firmware and investigate.

People on this message board are generally sophisticated users and this is a consumer product that is advertised as appropriate for general users.  Can you imagine how many users there are who are not participating in this message board and have this problem?  And yet the firmware is still auto-updating.  Crazy stuff.  

Message 159 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Replevin wrote:

I'm new to this message board although I've had this router for the past several months.  Here's my observation:

1.  Someone pushed-out a automatic firmware update that broke, at a minimum, the link between the satellite and the router (for many users);

2.  This occurred late last week.  It is now Tuesday and the broken firmware is still on the website and still auto-updating (and breaking) many satellites.

So putting aside whether someone actually tested this firmware before it was released, it is beyond me why Netgear would persist with an auto-updating firmware version when there are so many reports of problems.  I don't think it is a stretch to suggest that the best practice would be to remove the firmware and investigate.

People on this message board are generally sophisticated users and this is a consumer product that is advertised as appropriate for general users.  Can you imagine how many users there are who are not participating in this message board and have this problem?  And yet the firmware is still auto-updating.  Crazy stuff.  

It's working fine for most users, just like it did prior to 1.11.x that broke so much.

Message 160 of 810
la79
Apprentice

@captain_phaser

So you aded that block, downgraded and no issues with it AutoUpdating it again? If so I'm going to try this tonight when I get home.

Message 161 of 810
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

If you have a RBK40 or 30 system and having issues with the latest firmware please take a look at this thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Wireless-Network-not-available-or-LED-flashing-white-on/m...

DarrenM

Message 162 of 810

Mine finally auto updated after about 5-6 of manualling updating. There goes Netgear's support claim that if you manually update it won't auto update again. Once again after this auto update to 1.12.0.18 constant disconnects. I immediately downgraded both devices again to 1.11.0.20 and then followed the steps on page 5 of this thread using telnet to set NVRAM settings to hopefully prevent it from auto updating ever again. I did note that one of the NVRAM settings is different on mine from what was in the instructiions. I think it was the orbi_auto_upgrade one which was actually listed as orbi_auto_upg when I listed the settings with the nvram show command.

Message 163 of 810
Replevin
Star

@TXGunLover wrote:

It's working fine for most users, just like it did prior to 1.11.x that broke so much.

How in the world do you know that???

Message 164 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Replevin wrote:

@TXGunLover wrote:

Simple extrapolation by reading this board (where you'll have only users having problems report), Reddit, and common sense.

Message 165 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

It is hard to understand what's going on with this system. After using our wifi all evening last night, I noticed, as I headed to bed, that the router was purple. Dunno what that means. We've been running fine for a few days now (thought that is not ringing endorsement). 

Is interesting that Netgear seems unable to stabilize this message board. Keeps changing.

Message 166 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

This message board is on fire with the number of people having issues with the firmware.

Message 167 of 810
KGrue
Guide

@Stkasm wrote:
Are you sure it's not roaming? We have three iOS devices of different generations - iPad air, iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s, they do not have any problems working with wifi. Nothing changed after 1.2.0.18 update

No, every time I have literally been sitting still using it. 

Message 168 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

@Replevin wrote:

@TXGunLover wrote:

Simple extrapolation by reading this board (where you'll have only users having problems report), Reddit, and common sense.

Common sense would tell you that you don't have enough data to make a call either way. You have no idea how many people are experiencing issues, no idea how many are not and no idea how many people own the product. You can't extrapolate anything meaningful from a tiny, slanted sample. 

I'd suggest all customers are experiencing some kind of issue, but for many they have little or no impact, or they're busy calling their ISP because they don't expect a $500 router to be so flakey.

Message 169 of 810
Seattleite
Guide

Looking at https://www.netgear.com/support/download/   V1.12.0.18 no longer appears  - does that mean it's been officially pulled?

Message 170 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@Seattleite wrote:

Looking at https://www.netgear.com/support/download/   V1.12.0.18 no longer appears  - does that mean it's been officially pulled?

Still available here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

Message 171 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@Seattleite wrote:

Good catch, looks like you could be right. Some official word from Netgear would be nice though. There's been pretty much nothing but radio silence since this release dropped.

They really need to start doing two things:

1. Start engaging with their customers here and
  2. Start putting some real effort into the software for these products. It's plainly obvious they've dedicated very little resource to this.

I wish I could dump this thing and start looking at alternatives, but I can't unload this router on anyone else in good faith. 

Message 172 of 810
Seattleite
Guide

V1.12 was uploaded on 7/11 - any guesses as to when V1.13.xx.xx will be released - hopefully bringing my satellites back into the fold?

Message 173 of 810

I don't think it was ever on that downloads page, I'll always found it here and it hasn't disappeared:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50#download

Message 174 of 810
Hydro130
Luminary

@captain_phaser wrote:

@Seattleite wrote:

Still available here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

It was not pulled for 50 - it was just pulled for 30 and 40...  I would think that any corresponding concerns would affect the 50 too, but the Netgear gods seem to disagree.

I'm one of the lucky folks who is having no issues with latest f/w on my 50, but I'm still curious to see how this all unfolds.

Message 175 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7