Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Sangwich
Star

Don't really mean to sound like an ass but I'm just speaking as a software engineer. Why do you force updates when you guys release updates without proper testing? I see you guys are trying to make it convenient for people that lacks knowledge but this is a pretty attractive hardware on paper that attracts other type of users.

I'm starting to think my 5Ghz band is still off even with the factory reset. Now I have to deal with downgrading just to turn it back on. I can't connect to 5Ghz even when I'm right in front of the satellite and the router. None of my devices are connected to 5Ghz. 

Message 201 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@ChuckP wrote:

Went to create a thread and noticed this beast...

Just purchased the RBK50 set. Router seems to work fine and the satellite works great when first paired, but as soon as the satellite gets powered cycled it no longer works properly until the whole system is factory reset. The strange thing is, that the satellite's ring does show it is connected (solid blue ring) and detects when it drops connection from the router (pulsing magenta ring), however if you plug into the satellite it doesn't assign IPs, and the Orbi status page shows no connected satellite.

Anyone having sucess downgrading the firmware? If so, does it just auto-update and break itself again?

I've been on 1.11.0.20 with no auto-updates yet. The simplest thing to do is to add a domain block to downloads.netgear.com in Advanced > Security > Block Sites. Set Keyword Blocking to Always and apply the setting as soon as you've manually updated. If you're comfortable with telnet, there's a guide on page 5 of this thread to also manually set the config auto update variables. I have both of these steps in place, but I think the first step should be sufficient.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 202 of 810

Success!!!

Just downgraded to v1.11.00.20.  Turned off the 2.4 GHz radio on the Orbi system.  Plugged in an old Airport Express and put all of my 2.4 GHz devices on it.  Everything still works and I am getting 500 megs a second up and down over wifi on my MacBook Pro.

George

Message 203 of 810
timch
Luminary

I've noted all the advice to downgrade but I'm not convinced that is a universally good idea. I was having disconnecting problems with my iOS devices and unreliable connections from my satellite but Netgear helpfully sent me the beta firmware. This corrected all my problems and I have now upgraded to the 12.0.18 firmware. I have been running the stock firmware since it was released and it has been very reliable. I'm therefore not sure why others seem to be having such difficulties since their experience seems diametrically opposed to mine.
Message 204 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@timch wrote:
I've noted all the advice to downgrade but I'm not convinced that is a universally good idea. I was having disconnecting problems with my iOS devices and unreliable connections from my satellite but Netgear helpfully sent me the beta firmware. This corrected all my problems and I have now upgraded to the 12.0.18 firmware. I have been running the stock firmware since it was released and it has been very reliable. I'm therefore not sure why others seem to be having such difficulties since their experience seems diametrically opposed to mine.

I'm in the same situation.  I've had reliable service on fw 12.x for all my devices, including 2 iPhones, 3 iPads, a MacBook Air and a new MacBook Pro, plus an Apple TV, 2 printers, a BluRay player and an Onlyo receiver. But, I have left all settings at default cept DNS.  

Message 205 of 810
ajshurts
Apprentice

Like many others, this firmware completely crippled my network.  I have had to disable auto updates and roll back to the 1.11.0.20 release which is at least stable.  For me, it seems like the routing table gets screwed up.  I am double-natted from my cable modem so perhaps that is the problem.  From my PC, if I connect to a VPN, the internet will work fine, but when disconnected, only a handful of sites work (google, reddit and a couple others).  When I say work, I use the term lightly.  Load times are horrendous.

Message 206 of 810

Artlee,

What kind of speeds are you getting with the Orbi?  What radio is your MacBook Pro connected to?  Do you see it dropping to the 2.4 GHz radio?

George

Message 207 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@ArtLee wrote:

@timch wrote:

I'm in the same situation.  I've had reliable service on fw 12.x for all my devices, including 2 iPhones, 3 iPads, a MacBook Air and a new MacBook Pro, plus an Apple TV, 2 printers, a BluRay player and an Onlyo receiver. But, I have left all settings at default cept DNS.  

It seems that for some 1.12.0.18 fixed issues with 1.11.0.20, but for others it made the issues much worse. It really is odd to see such a split of stability and instability, but that appears to be the case right now. For myself, I'm using 1.11.0.20 because I prefer keeping the 2.4Ghz band off, and the latest update has removed that function with no explanation why. Oddly enough, the 2.4Ghz backhaul remains on even with the client band disabled.

Message 208 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

Noticing amazon echoes dropping off the network with this version momentarily losing connections
Message 209 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

Solved dropping amazon echo problem by having them connect to guest orbi network. Hoping not to have to downgrade.
Message 210 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@timch wrote:

The reason some are experiencing issues and others are not is that every setup is different. Different configurations to set up our internet connections, different numbers and types of devices, different levels of traffic, different levels of WiFi congestion etc etc.

No one is suggesting you downgrade your firmware if you're not experiencing major issues. 

Message 211 of 810
ajshurts
Apprentice

Double NAT is not the issue.  I bridged my cable modem and the firmware still has routing issues.  Back on 1.11.0.20 again.

Message 212 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

Blocking downloads.netgear.com wasnt enough i still got updated. Gonna try telnet method
Message 213 of 810
Johnyboy
Guide

Had stable beta firmware (1.11.0.20) for a month and then Orbi and satellite auto updated three days ago and now disconnects resurfaced.  I performed a factory reset hoping i coud downgrade back to beta firmware however it defaulted back to newest firmware.  Blows my mind that Netgear has not resolved this and even worse ive never in my life seen a puece of hardware auto update to the newest firmware automatically!!  Netgear you should be ashamed!  Have had this Orbi system for four months now and have had nothing but issues with it.  Wish i could return it but im stuck with it.  Will never purchase another Netgear product again as this has been nothing but a major headache fir me and my family for months now!

Message 214 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

The only way to prevent the upgrade is to do the telnet as per pg 5 https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Blocking The domain downloads.netgear.com wasn't enough I can confirm this twice

Netgear: please pull this fw for rbk50 as well ASAP!
Message 215 of 810
noonway
Guide

Well, I was also having the disconnect problem with my GS8+ and the Orbi (RBR50/RBS50).  My router is in AP mode like many of the others having this problem.  I downgraded from the latest firmware of 1.12.0.18 to firmware 1.11.0.20 at the recommendation of everyone on the Netgear thread.  After power cycling both the router and the satellite, I still experienced the disconnect problem with my GS8+.  Nothing else on my network was experiencing this.  So, I looked further into my wireless settings on the GS8+ and here is what I did:

1. Smart Network Switch was already on but on "Normal" mode.  I switched this to Aggressive switching.

2. Hotspot 2.0 was on.  I turned this off.

3. Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep was set to  "While charging" so I switched this to "Always"

After that, I unplugged the satellite and then forced a reboot on the router and then plugged the satellite back in.  The phone connected and didn't disconnect after 10 minutes.  So I upgraded the firmware on the router and satellite back to 1.12.0.18 and it's been 45 minutes and I have yet to have a disconnect with my GS8+.  Download speeds are completely as expected.  Not really sure if I did anything major here but that's what I did and I'm having zero issues now.  Hopefully this will help someone.

Message 216 of 810
obadea
Initiate

I had the same issue and downgraded the Firmware to 1.11.02 and that took care of the problem.  I called netgear support today, waited for 50+ minutes, finally someone came on, who was very difficult to understand.  The only solutions she suggested is to factory reset the Orbi system, when it's actually a Netgear problem.  I can't believe how bad the support of this orgranization is!!!  Only 90 days for support?  That is crazy!!

Message 217 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

Is everyone having issues in AP mode? My orbi is behind a gateway router and a cable modem in front pf the gateway. Just theorzing what went wrong. Im stable once downgraded
Message 218 of 810
obadea
Initiate

Yes, I am in AP mode and static IP for the Orbi Router.

Message 219 of 810
SAE
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have has issues the last week with my internet.  I thought it was suddenlink, but it soulds like it could be the new firmware update.  I unplug my modem and then my Orbi and that seems to fix it.  But I have to do this almost once a day, which is becoming a pain.  Anyone else having the same issue and have you found a fix?

Thank you,

Message 220 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@timch wrote:

Yes, it does work well for some - Obviously though, as evidenced by the issues identified in this forum, it isn't working well for everybody.  As far as my system, the V.1.12.0.18 FW update seems to be functioning very well, although the actual update process was a bit harrowing - I'll not go into that right now, leave it with saying that I was very relieved when everything finally updated.  Perhaps the problem has to do with the actual Orbi units involved - I have the RBK50 (RBR50 Router and two RBS50 satellites, purchased from Costco).  However, while my experience with my RBK50 system may have gone well, it seems that some are having problems with this system as well.  Obviously, everybody's configuration is different, and addressing all of the configuration possibilities these days can be difficult - especially given the multitude of devices that we're all installing these days.  I have a household with a ton of different ideas things connecting, including several MacBook Pros, an iMac, several iPhones and iPads, Windows computers, as well as more "Smarthome" devices than I'd like to admit.  As I noted, things in my household are working well at the moment; however, I know that some of these "Smarthome" devices can and do drop off from time to time.  A disaster - No.  A frustration - Yes.

But for now, I'm happy with the throughput, range and overall connectivity in my household.  I'm getting 10% better transfer rates (up and down) than my provider advertises (and that didn't ever happen with my Apple Airport Extreme/Timecapsule setup).  So, I'll hold tight with the latest firmware for now.  I do wish that I would see more response from Netgear on this forum, though.  The Silence from the company is a bit disheartning.

Message 221 of 810
yunhao
Tutor

for My case, at first none of firmware is working (internet drop issue)  drop all time

so I ask for Beta firmware that help me to fix the internet drop issue

On Beta firmware 1.11.0.8 ->1.12.0.12 working..    last Beta 1.12.0.16 not working so I switch back to 1.12.0.12

My setting for Orbi as AP, not Router.. and 2.4G in Ch1 50%  5G in Ch48 100%, disable Both MU-MIMO and Beanforming

Setting never change afterward (wifi Power function was disappear at 1.12.x.x afterward)

then finial I get update to 1.12.0.18 and it still working

setting are the same

Hope this can help someone here

Message 222 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

for those with a stable 1.12.0.18 RBK 50x system - try rebooting (power cycling) - the router.  I had to unplug mine and replug it in and problems started (prior to that I was probably on 1.12.0.18 for a bit with no issues whatsoever (costco RBK53)

Message 223 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

Do we know if the ability to adjust the radio power will be available again?

Message 224 of 810
fcwest
Star

This is more of a rant than anything towards solving this problem...

I find it crazy I have to pay for extended support for a product that auto-updates itself and then breaks because of that auto-update. Seems like support should be included if I don't have the ability to turn-off these bug filled auto-updates.

Message 225 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7