Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

ppilot212
Star

Even with the newest firmware, I am still having problems with the backhaul stability. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I tried out Google Wifi in the same exact location  and had no issues streaaming.  If I wasn't past my return window, I would have returned these a long time ago.

Message 226 of 810
mkenny28
Apprentice

I have a ton of devices on my network and they all seem to be function as they are supposed to EXCEPT for my Sprint S8 Plus. After the firmware update my S8 Plus drops off of my network for 20-30 seconds at a time (with an exclamation point next to WiFi icon) before it reconnects. This happens 100% of the time when I move between router/satellites. Internet appears to be fine but then a page or app will stop loading. Only way to get back on the internet is to wait or toggle WiFi (but toggling will often result in another disconnect).  A bunch of other S8 users over on the Samsung forums are having the same exact issue with Orbi.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 227 of 810
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Might as well ask this here...

I've got a RBR/RBS50 setup, and 1.12.0.18 is somehow still automatically downloading itself and installing to my router and satellites even though I went in and disabled automatic updating in the NVRAM.  

Does anyone have an alternative way to shut off automatic updating?  I kind of need my system functional, and 1.12.0.18 cripples my system so badly that none of my satellites work as access points, and my WiFi speeds drop by at least 50%.

Message 228 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

Mine is holding on the downgrade - just checked still at 1.11.0.20  I followed instructions on page 5 of this thread precisely.   Be sure to do this fairly quickly after downgrading...the router is a slick upgrader if you wait too long.  Also avoid clicking the check the firmware upgrade available button or anything while making the downgrade. 

Message 229 of 810
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Hi cyberprashant,

I made the same NVRAM modifications given back on page 5... it prevented my Orbi from doing an automatic update back to v1.12.0.18 for about five days (from the evening of 18th to today) but that ended at about 3:10am this morning when it inexplicably auto-updated while I was asleep.  It didn't get prompted to do it, and nobody's touched the Firmware Update button, it just launched and ran the update all on its own.

Netgear really needs to include an option to turn Automatic Updates off on this thing like every other manufacturer has been doing for aeons.

Message 230 of 810

Went I set mine I did note that one of the NVRAM settings is different on mine from what was in the instructiions. I think it was the orbi_auto_upgrade one which was actually listed as orbi_auto_upg when I listed the settings with the nvram show command. View your settings before you change them and make sur eyou are changing the correct ones.

Message 231 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

I'm still holding steady on 1.11.0.20. I added the domain block as soon as I could after manually updating. Check to see that you have the radio button set to "Always" for keyword blocking, and that the domain is downloads.netgear.com. After this I did the telnet config. There's an auto check for upgrade variable on the satellites as well that I set to 0. Remember to type nvram commit after setting all the variables to save the changes. You can also type nvram show | grep auto to list the variables again and confirm their new values. Here's the variables I set:

Router

• orbi_auto_upgrade=0
  • orbi_auto_upg=0
  • auto_update=0
  • auto_check_for_upgrade=0

Sat

• auto_check_for_upgrade=0

Still no acknowledgment on these issues from Netgear has me weary of keeping the Orbi. Downgrading without automatic updates is a key troubleshooting step so I am puzzled as to why there is no simple way to block these updates.

I love the Orbi's specs and what it should be able to do on paper, but the lack of communication here on the forums, instability of the firmware, and the limit of 90 days "complimentary" support with only a 1 year warranty are starting to put me off.

Message 232 of 810
Johnyboy
Guide

This whole thing actually blows my mind.  Never in my life have I seen a piece of hardware that auto updates the firmware itself without the user's consent??   How is it possible to pay a premium for this supposed "game changing" piece of hardware that has now been out for 8 months now and has had so many versions of firmware released trying to resolve this issue and still no solution today.  Netgear should be treating these as a recall and reimbursing everyone their money for this POS not even factoring the several hours of my time and frustration for my entire family!  !  The whole 90 days of support is the funniest part of it all!  Are you guys serious??  90 days?? One year is standard and if anything it should be evn longer than that considering this is suppoded to be a premium high end Netgear product. My wife was so pissed at me as it was that I spent this much money on this thing and I bought it four months ago and haven't had it run stable for more than 2-3 weeks.  Well, I actually did get approx a month out of the last beta firmware (v1.11.0.8) and it seemed solid but BOOM then the auto update to the newest firmware broke it for the fourth time.  Never again will I touch a Netgear product.  Lesson learned.

Message 233 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@Johnyboy wrote:

This whole thing actually blows my mind.  Never in my life have I seen a piece of hardware that auto updates the firmware itself without the user's consent??   

Do you have a modem? Mine gets updated automatically without any consent or notification. In my case, I own an Arris cable modem (not leased) and Comcast updates when they get updates from Arris. I also think, meaning I don't have experience, that Android phones auto update unless default settings are changed by the user. But, my cable modem is the only device other than my Orbi units that update without approval.

Message 234 of 810
DUSTOFF2
Guide

Guys I have my router blocking this as my orbi is plugged into my router. Am I to understand even if the router has this set to block firmware site it will still update due to vram settings
Message 235 of 810
sunnyyan
Initiate

I have the 3 pack Orbi AC3000 from Costco. Several connection drops per day before and after the latest firmware V1.12.018. I thought it was my Comcast service issue for a few weeks then I missed the return deadline to Costco. Now, I'm stuck with a $500 system worse than wireless routers I had less than 1/3 of cost.  I'm tired and fed up by this and false sense of hope the next firmware will solve this issue.

Message 236 of 810
Johnyboy
Guide

@sunnyyan wrote:

I have the 3 pack Orbi AC3000 from Costco. Several connection drops per day before and after the latest firmware V1.12.018. I thought it was my Comcast service issue for a few weeks then I missed the return deadline to Costco. Now, I'm stuck with a $500 system worse than wireless routers I had less than 1/3 of cost.  I'm tired and fed up by this and false sense of hope the next firmware will solve this issue.

No kidding!  The most hilarious part of this gong show is the beta firmware always seems to be fine and run stable and then they do an official release, change the version number and god knows what else and then that's exactly when the disconnect issues resurface.  Wished I would have went with the Linksys Velop or Google wifi...

Message 237 of 810
Johnyboy
Guide

@ArtLee wrote:

@Johnyboy wrote:

This whole thing actually blows my mind.  Never in my life have I seen a piece of hardware that auto updates the firmware itself without the user's consent??   

Do you have a modem? Mine gets updated automatically without any consent or notification. In my case, I own an Arris cable modem (not leased) and Comcast updates when they get updates from Arris. I also think, meaning I don't have experience, that Android phones auto update unless default settings are changed by the user. But, my cable modem is the only device other than my Orbi units that update without approval.

My modem doesn't auto update and I realize Android devices auto update just like W10 does now but an OS and firmware aren't the same thing.

Message 238 of 810
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@sunnyyan wrote:

Costco is usually very generous with their return policy. I'm sure if you explained what is going on with your device they would accept the return for you.

Message 239 of 810
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Ah, that might be it... I missed that orbi_auto_upg parameter and didn't do anything to the Orbi satellite.  I'll have to give that a whack tonight.

Still, the Orbi RBK50 is rapidly wearing out its welcome in my home.  I'm flabbergasted that the Netgear support staff are still pushing the v1.12.0.18 update via automatic updates, given how many different issues it seems to cause.  In most companies, releasing an automatic update to your cutting-edge product that breaks its main feature is grounds for summary dismissal... and urgent repair.  Netgear seems to be taking its sweet time publishing a fix.  This will be my ninth time manually reverting to an older firmware build in order to make the mesh network actually function.

If a fix isn't provided by the end of the month, I'm out... I'll chuck my Orbi in the ewaste and go back to a traditional router and access points until D-Link gets their Covr system finished later this year.

Message 240 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@MacrossMike wrote:

Ah, that might be it... I missed that orbi_auto_upg parameter and didn't do anything to the Orbi satellite.  I'll have to give that a whack tonight.

I'm flabbergasted that the Netgear support staff are still pushing the v1.12.0.18 update via automatic updates, given how many different issues it seems to cause.  

I can't speak for the company, but not everyone has problems with the latest update. Far as I can tell, I'm not having any issues. But, I just have a basic router+satellite system and have no special devices, I guess. The issues I see here make me wonder just how widespread problems are. And, how many people have tried Orbi and simply returned them rather than fool around with things like blocking updates. 

Message 241 of 810
Flash008
Luminary

Hello everyone, it’s me again.

I have not posted here in a few weeks because I wanted my life back. Too much time dealing with Orbi issues.

I am, however, happy to report that I have been using ASUS Lyra for a few days. I am officially Amazon poster #1 for the Lyra review. Go check it out of you want.

Lyra is far more stable. 4 days on Lyra and NO DROPPED CONNECTIONS FOR ANY DEVICE.

I am honest with my review, and reported that Lyra is much slower than Orbi. But I hope ASUS will work on that problem soon.

I still have my Orbi. I am not sure of its future. I cannot run both Lyra and Orbi at the same time due to redundant frequencies. Chances are Orbi will hit EBay or Craigslist once Lyra has proven itself.

Every feature, every complaint, we have all shared on this forum concerning Orbi is addressed with Lyra.

I wish Lyra was as fast as Orbi, but for most of you it will be good enough.

I am running Orbi’s latest firmware, and though it is better than previous releases. It still missing the mark. Dropped connections, I cannot move around my home while on WIFI calls or Facetime chats, etc.

6+ Months of problems. 10+ firmware updates. Almost an entire year on the market and Orbi cannot do what ASUS Lyra is doing on DAY ONE.

What a SHAME!!!

Message 242 of 810
massaquah
Aspirant

Hello Flash008,

I am also considering buying a Lyra but since there are few to no detailed reviews available yet I would be glad if you could answer some (at least for me) key questions.

1. Does the Lyra allow different SSIDs (via expert settings or telnet "hack", like Orbi does)?

2. Does Lyra support more channels on 5 GHZ frequency than 36, 40, 44 and 48? (DFS channels starting with 52?)

3. What is the maximum throughput you get when standing in close proximity to the Lyra base station and a node?

Message 243 of 810
Flash008
Luminary

Massaquah,

I did leave a detailed review on Amazon. Its the only review at this time.

To answer your questions;

1. ASUS has never supported vLANs and multi-ssid out-of-the-box. However, Lyra runs the same OS as other ASUS routers. This leaves me to believe that using the popular telnet/ssh command line (which Lyra supports) will give you the abilty to have vLAN and multi-ssid abilty.

2. Lyra supports all channels available with 5GHz. Orbi does too. But, Lyra gives you access to all channels with both 5Ghz radios. Orbi locks you out of the second 5Ghz radio which is why you only get the 4 channels. This, however, is a cool, but bad thing for Lyra. If you are using a dedicated backhaul you do not want that second 5Ghz radio being used by clients. This will cause performance issues with other nodes. So thumbs up to Netgear for restricting this access knowing it could cause performance problems, and thumbs up to ASUS for giving you the choice.

3. Speed is where it may be a deal breaker for you and others. Standing 3-5 feet from the main Lyra node (each Lyra can be the main, but only one can handle the internet and physical LAN connection), I am only getting 250Mbps. This is with all features disabled (firewall, QoS, ASUS AI, etc). Lyra nodes are getting 100-150. But I need to experiment a little. I beleive Lyra nodes must be closer together, unlike Orbi which can perform well being far apart. Lyra also does not currently allow AP Mode, forcing me to use it as a router. ASUS has committed to AP mode very soon. I question if this is causing a performance hit. For most who have less than 300Mbps internet Lyra will work fine. For those who are nerds and require 500Mbps speeds for file transfers, 4K video from a Plex or Kodi server this may be a problem. Personally I run my hardcore clients on Ethernet which require 1000Mbps speeds.

Overall, I like Lyra. Everything I wanted Orbi to be, Lyra delivered. The cost seems to be slower WIFI speeds. Perhaps ASUS will fix this in the near future, understanding that today was Lyra's official launch day-1. Knowing ASUS as I do, they are quick with firmware updates and they update often. Plus I am sure ASUS knows Lyra is competing with several MESH and multi-node WIFI systems, so they want it to be successful.

My biggest, and loved, Lyra feature is........IT WORKS!!!! I can finally use my WIFI without thinking about it. And when the day comes where I need advanced features, or want to see details about a client device (real-time speed, RSSI, connection rate, etc)...I login to Lyra web GUI and its all there. And yes, I can see the real-time backhaul connection speeds which is great when trying to pick Lyra node locations. I also love the Lyra APP. It makes Orbi's app look like a joke. When you add Lyra nodes, the app tells you "in real-time" if the location for the node is good or not. No more waiting for an Orbi light to change colors and leaving us to guess if its in a good location, to not. The app offers extensive real-time data concerning what is happening on your WIFI.

I assume in 30-60 days Merlin will have his custom Lyra code released and it will make Lyra AWESOME!!! Remember, ASUS is committed to open source, so all ASUS routers can run third-party code. Merlin being the most popular.

Hope this helps.

Message 244 of 810
massaquah
Aspirant

Hi Flash,

thank you for the quick answer.

Regarding the channels on 5 ghz band I don't think you are entirely correct about the allocation of the channel to the different radios.

From whatI can tell, the "client" radio supports the following channels:

ath1      48 channels in total; available frequencies :
      Channel 36 : 5.18 GHz
      Channel 40 : 5.2 GHz
      Channel 44 : 5.22 GHz
      Channel 48 : 5.24 GHz
      Channel 52 : 5.26 GHz
      Channel 56 : 5.28 GHz
      Channel 60 : 5.3 GHz
      Channel 64 : 5.32 GHz
      Current Frequency:5.24 GHz (Channel 48)

The backhaul radio unit uses these channels:

ath2      126 channels in total; available frequencies :
      Channel 100 : 5.5 GHz
      Channel 104 : 5.52 GHz
      Channel 108 : 5.54 GHz
      Channel 112 : 5.56 GHz
      Channel 116 : 5.58 GHz
      Channel 120 : 5.6 GHz
      Channel 124 : 5.62 GHz
      Channel 128 : 5.64 GHz
      Channel 132 : 5.66 GHz
      Channel 136 : 5.68 GHz
      Channel 140 : 5.7 GHz
      Channel 149 : 5.745 GHz
      Channel 153 : 5.765 GHz
      Channel 157 : 5.785 GHz
      Channel 161 : 5.805 GHz
      Channel 165 : 5.825 GHz
      Current Frequency:5.54 GHz (Channel 108)

But via the Orbi web interface you are restricted to 36, 40, 44, 48.

These channels are very crowded in my area so I had hoped that Lyra lets me use channels 52, 56, 60, 64 (DFS).

Message 245 of 810
Flash008
Luminary

ASUS Lyra locks out the wireless settings. Hence, I cannot tell you want channels it supports. I would understand ASUS and Netgear, and others using the non-DFS bands, as the DFS bands are very restricted per FCC rules.

I do know Lyra supports MU-MIMO and is Wave-2 ready.

It is important to know that Orbi uses a 4x4 5Ghz radio for its backhaul. Lyra uses a 2x2. Hence, it’s not what band you are using, but how many antennas you have that can bond those channels.

Your client device will show DFS channels. Should you travel to another country those channels would be usable.

I think your request for the DFS channels is less a Netgear and ASUS choice, but more of a "I don't want to get in trouble with the government".

True commercial grade products such as Cisco, etc may give you those channels, with a disclaimer that you use them within the guidelines of the FCC. Netgear and ASUS are selling to consumers who have no idea what 5Ghz is, how it works, FCC laws, etc, etc...Hence, I don’t see any consumer grade product allowing those channels, until next year. FCC revised the rules in 2016, but any chipset created during the pre-2016 change CANNOT be modified under the new rules. Hence Netgear and ASUS would need to order new chips from Broadcom, or whomever, which would allow the DFS channels to be used without restriction.

Looks like you may be waiting until 2018 for that request, which is outside the control of Netgear and ASUS. Plus I would thing the focus is on Wave-2 and MU-MIMO which will expand the spectrum to 160Mhz, effectively doubling the current “ac” standard. Maybe then we will have those 1Gbit speeds via WIFI. And at that time the DFS channels will be the least of your concern.

Imagine that; 4 clients using wave-2 at 160Mhz spectrum and bond. 2600Mbps link connection. Each with a dedicated path to the access point (no sharing). Even if you achieve half the link speed (1300Mbps actual bandwidth)…..WOW…..Then we can have a real discussion of “Do we really need Ethernet anymore”.

Message 246 of 810
TheEther
Guru

@Flash008 wrote:

Imagine that; 4 clients using wave-2 at 160Mhz spectrum and bond. 2600Mbps link connection. Each with a dedicated path to the access point (no sharing). Even if you achieve half the link speed (1300Mbps actual bandwidth)…..WOW…..Then we can have a real discussion of “Do we really need Ethernet anymore”.

But at what distance?  I can only get a link speed of 1300 Mbps from no more than 3 feet from my R7000.

With 2.5Gbps and 5 Gbps on the way, Ethernet will have a very long and useful life.

Message 247 of 810
djc1603
Aspirant

@mkenny28 wrote:

I have a ton of devices on my network and they all seem to be function as they are supposed to EXCEPT for my Sprint S8 Plus. After the firmware update my S8 Plus drops off of my network for 20-30 seconds at a time (with an exclamation point next to WiFi icon) before it reconnects. This happens 100% of the time when I move between router/satellites. Internet appears to be fine but then a page or app will stop loading. Only way to get back on the internet is to wait or toggle WiFi (but toggling will often result in another disconnect).  A bunch of other S8 users over on the Samsung forums are having the same exact issue with Orbi.

I am having the same exact issue with my T-Mobile S8+. It started randomly disconnecting recently (the Wifi is still connected but the connection to the Internet is lost) after having worked flawlessly. I logged in and noticed the router had auto updated to 1.12.0.18. I have tried rolling it back to the previous version but like you that no longer works either. The only other issue I had with Orbi was occassionally the router would freeze up and drop the wifi signal completely which would require me to power off/on the router and it would work for a week or so before doing it again. Additionally, after several weeks, my internet speed would drop from 125 Mbps to 12-25 Mbps. The fix for this was factory resetting and then uploading my saved image to restore all of my settings/ port forwards. 

Message 248 of 810
jcalex22
Star

OH MY GOD!!! I thought I could wait out this firmware disaster, but my Orbi updated last night after I downgraded four days ago and it is completely unstable: BOTH on Wi-Fi & Ethernet. I cannot even stay connected long enough to down grade it again, so I just disconnected the damn thing and went back to my frontier router!

Thank you for sharing you just replaced the Orbi system because life is too short to waste my time and effort trying to get thing to to work on untested & released firmware. I'M DONE WTH THIS CRAP!

Message 249 of 810
Johnyboy
Guide

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that my wife and I both work from home so you can imagine how fun this ride has been for the last 5-6 months.  How it's also possible to do a factory reset and have it revert to the newest firmware blows me away in addition to the auto updating.  Honest to god, if I still had my backup router I would take this Orbi system to my back yard and smash it on my cement patio block as it would bring me a lot of joy.  Can't believe I spent $600 on this POS!  Netgear should be paying us to be beta testers for this gong show and myself and my wife (who is beyond pissed at me about this Orbi) have honestly lost 5X the cost of the Orbi unit itself in lost production, time, and endless frustration.  

Message 250 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7