Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

martyfp
Luminary

I fall into that camp - 1.12.0.18 is working just great for me whereas 1.11.0.20 was a really hit and miss.

Although, I am using full router mode with 1.12x whereas I was using AP mode with 1.11x.

Message 301 of 810
Basura3d
Guide

Was so happy that I could go back to 1.11.00.20 but today I started getting a lot of disconnects and saw that the stupid router auto updated itself bacck to 1.12.00.18. This seems super advanced for a no techy dude that just wants a functioning firmware and a simple checkbox if you want to auto update. My wife keeps asking me why I'm in a bad mood and then, is it the wifi again?
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 302 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Since I haven't seen this posted on this thread, I thought that I'd post it. Here are the telnet/ssh commands that are working for me on my Orbi to keep it from auto-reflashing the latest firmware release. This has been working for me for several days now, keeping me on the previous to the latest version of the firmware (V1.11.0.20), and was given to me by an inside source:

shell> config set auto_update=0 OR config set auto_check_for_upgrade=0
shell> config commit

The "shell>" above represents the command line shell prompt from the telnet or ssh session. The key thing to notice about this is that you're using "config set" and "config commit" commands instead of "nvram set" and "nvram commit" commands.

Please try this, it works.

Message 303 of 810
mkenny28
Apprentice

Well now my Surface Pro is having the same issues as my Surface Book and S8 Plus. It seems like this firmware is degrading daily. 10 minutes ago my entire network was locked up and unusable so I had to reboot the router and then manually reboot all the satellites. 

Message 304 of 810
raven_au
Virtuoso

@cyberprashant wrote:

@raven_au wrote:

I too have started having a wireless connection problems with 1.12.0.18.

The problem though is that Netgear probably can't do anything to fix it and are likley waiting on Qualcomm for wireless driver updates.

Doubt, since its rock stable on this FW 1.11.0.20 after downgrade (see page 5 and comments elsewhere here) not sure this is a Qualcomm driver issue??  

Yes, it's difficult to know for sure.

But consider this.

I didn't think I was having wireless disconnect problems on 1.11.0.20.

But I was seeing some devices wake up disconnected and need to re-connect and I got to thinking that might be the problem some have reported with devices like cameras (that sleep until motion activated perhaps) . So that may explain why only some and only certain devices were showing a problem with 1.11.0.20. For me this also appears to be related to wireless signal strength becuase on one device were I had this problem putting a satelite right next to it resolved the problem.

Then 1.12.0.18 resolved the disconnect during sleep but caused a wireless disconnect while operatiing for one of my other devices that had no problem previously.

Also, given that the Velop has the same disconnect during sleep problem with it's current firmware that people bitterly complaining about, I can't help but think it's quite likely a wireless driver update problem, both somewhere before 1.11.0.20 and again for 1.12.0.18.

Ian

Message 305 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

one thing I'm starting to notice even on 1.11.0.20 - placement of the satellites is important.   If the satellite is hiding behind large pieces of furniture on the ground on the other side of the house, yeah you're also going to get drops - I repositioned one satellite and got better speeds too. 

Netgear: why can't the router page give us a signal strength or the satellite page too a signal strength?  Just looking for the magenta color is not detailed enough.  

Message 306 of 810

I did this and my router and satellite still updated v1.12.0.18.  NetGear support is not helpful.  I want a stable system.

Message 307 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Tigerman4LSU wrote:

I did this and my router and satellite still updated v1.12.0.18.  NetGear support is not helpful.  I want a stable system.

Did what? If you used the "config" commands that I posted above, my experience has been that my Orbi stays on whatever firmware version I flash. Very surprised if that's the case, hasn't happened to me. If you used the "nvram" commands, then yes, your Orbi will auto-flash the latest.

Did have a problem when I re-installed my desktop computer. Forgot to turn off power management on my network interfaces, and had problems until I remembered to do that. While that wasn't related to the Orbi, it had me thinking that the Orbi was causing disconnects until I took care of business. Now everything is nice and stable again.

Thanks.

Message 308 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@la79 wrote:
After updating to this firmware I noticed that all my devices are now listed as "wired" in the Orbi App and the Network Map in theGenie App. Even though they are wireless devices.

They are showing as wireless when I login in locally to the router as they should be. This happening to anyone else?

For what it is worth, the new iPhone Orbi app (released 7-27) now correctly identifies which devices are wired and which are not.  The V1.12.0.18 is still working fine with my system (RBK53), I have about 30 clients connected, with beamforming and MU-MIMO turned on.

Message 309 of 810
rexet
Guide

My Orbi was performing great until it started to loose connection. Now that I'm reading this thread I understand that issues started with the new firmware upgrade.

Please Netgear:

- fix this issue

- let us choose between manual and automatic update

Message 310 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Despite being the most active thread on this forum, with 310 posts over 20 days, Netgear continue to ignore us. 

Amateur-hour software development practices combined with piss-poor customer support is how you kill a product. All it would take is some open and honest communication, but appearently that's too hard.

At this point I couldn't reccomend Orbi to anyone.

Message 311 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@RogerSC wrote:

Since I haven't seen this posted on this thread, I thought that I'd post it. Here are the telnet/ssh commands that are working for me on my Orbi to keep it from auto-reflashing the latest firmware release. This has been working for me for several days now, keeping me on the previous to the latest version of the firmware (V1.11.0.20), and was given to me by an inside source:

shell> config set auto_update=0 OR config set auto_check_for_upgrade=0
shell> config commit

The "shell>" above represents the command line shell prompt from the telnet or ssh session. The key thing to notice about this is that you're using "config set" and "config commit" commands instead of "nvram set" and "nvram commit" commands.

Please try this, it works.

Okay, my Orbi auto-flashed today, after about a week. So this tip from Netgear is just not good enough. Sorry to mislead folks, I really thought that this had solved my problem for good and all.

Back to the drawing board.

Message 312 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

A simple check box to toggle between on/off for auto updates is needed apparently it will take an act of god for it to happen.

Message 313 of 810
mdmillhorn
Tutor

After upgrade to v1.1.12.0.18 I have lost ability to use both satelittes.

Can't re-sync.

Wireless range downgraded. 

When will firmware fix be afailable?

Message 314 of 810
ghernb
Tutor

This is utterly ridiculous.  I either need firmware that works (V1.11.0.20 does) or the ability to not automatically update.  I have run the nvram and config changes on both the router and the satellite multiple times.  

The Orbi is starting to look like a bad investment.   Time to start posting on social media about this problem.  Netgear has 61K followers on Twitter.  It would be good to @mention some of the big tech sites like TechCrunch, CNet, WireCutter.  I think then the issue will get the attention it deserves.

Message 315 of 810
ghernb
Tutor

Message 316 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@ghernb Something certainly needs to be done. Netgear are definitely aware of this thread, so they're choosing not to respond to these issues. I think I'll do the same as you. Hopfully we can get some traction if this becomes more public. 

Message 317 of 810
Replevin
Star

This was in a comment to an Amazon review:

"Hi GBJackson,

The latest firmware should not have broken the connection from the satellite to the router, and we would like to look into this with you. Can you please email us your contact information along with a link to your review to netgearteam@netgear.com, and we will be happy to help you.

Regards,
NETGEAR Team"

Are they not reading this message board???

Message 318 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@JMU1998 wrote:

A simple check box to toggle between on/off for auto updates is needed apparently it will take an act of god for it to happen.

Yes, it would be easy to put in an "Advanced Mode" or a hidden mode if they insist, maybe via the debug page they already have, that would allow turning off auto-update, and also allow the 2.4GHz. radio to be disabled. I'm fine with the current behavior being the default, but I hate to have to wait for Netgear (or any other router manufacturer) to recognize a bug and then reproduce and fix it. This for the unlikely case that they should put out a version of firmware that doesn't work well with my wireless clients. And I should be able to disable the 2.4GHz. wireless signal if I'm not using it...I don't need to make life harder for my neighbors. There are reasons why these are usually part of the web admin interface for routers, users need to have at least that degree of control available.

Message 319 of 810
gbjackson
Apprentice

Don't know - I was going on the theory that they read Amazon reviews much more closely.  I was right - they called me and I'm actually on the phone with "tier 2" now.  Tier 2 actually aknowledges the existence of an issue. 

Message 320 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@gbjackson How did you get on with support?

Message 321 of 810
cyberprashant
Luminary

after playing around with the settings the best performance for me is with 

a) fw 1.11.0.20 (downgrade using this thread starting page 5)

b) mu-mimo and beamforming ON (improves range behind walls)

c) uncheck 20/40 co-existence

d) turning off the guest network (which if enabled my android tablet shows it runs on the same channel as the main netwrk possibly causng interference)

Message 322 of 810
rexet
Guide

I just don't get it.

I would assume that a company such as Netgear has one or multiple community managers.

How much would it cost to just having a guy here to post message such as "we are aware of the issue with the latest firmware and are heavily working on fixing it, sorry for the inconvenience"? Even if you are not able to give your customer an ETA, just show that you damn care!

Message 323 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@rexet The thing that gets me is they're aware of this thread, it's been pointed out to them multiple times and they've acknowledged it exists, but they've not acknowledged any of the issues and they've chosen, for some inexplicable reason, to stick their head in the sand instead of responding.
Message 324 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@scornwell wrote:
@rexet The thing that gets me is they're aware of this thread, it's been pointed out to them multiple times and they've acknowledged it exists, but they've not acknowledged any of the issues and they've chosen, for some inexplicable reason, to stick their head in the sand instead of responding.

It's definitely a difficult situation.  For some, 1.11.x broke so much functionality, and 1.12 has fixed all of that.  For my 90 devices, the Orbi is back to working like it did prior to the disaster that was 1.11.x.

Message 325 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7