Reply

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

ArtLee
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


rexet wrote: 

Rergarding thanking Netgear support team... if it is that simple why don't they come here to explain the procedure if it could help many users?


Seems like they have done that.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 351 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@rexet wrote:

All you had to do is reset both router and satellites to get things back to normal?

I will try this as soon as I am home.

 

Rergarding thanking Netgear support team... if it is that simple why don't they come here to explain the procedure if it could help many users?


No, most definitely not, that was the first thing I tried and did not work.

 

Only firmware rollback fixed it for me and many others.

 

Message 352 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@davidbick wrote:

I'm also experiencing the satellite problem with 1.12 -- it appears as a connected device rather than a satellite and both wifi channels are disabled. I manually downgraded to the 1.11 firmware to reconnect it, but after a few days the auto update brought me back to 1.12, breaking the satellite again.

 

Support got me to manually re-flash 1.12, but to no effect. I'm awaiting a call for the next steps, so I'll post again if that turns up anything new. I'm not willing to spend time playing with the nvram settings, so I think I'll end up returning the unit if there isn't a fix soon 😞


I would definitely return it if I were in your shoes and still had time to do so with my retailer.

 

Rolling back to the 1.11 firmware would likely fix your problem, but a few days later, the router and satellites will upgrade themselves back to the broken 1.12, and you will be in the same situation.

 

Really, after all these regressions reported by so many, Netgear should either have pulled the 1.12 firmware by now, or reissued the 1.11 as 1.13 to fix people's issues with 1.12 .

 

Of course, there is simply no excuse for automatically forcing the firmware update on users in the first place.

 

 

Message 353 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@madbrain wrote:

Really, after all these regressions reported by so many, Netgear should either have pulled the 1.12 firmware by now, or reissued the 1.11 as 1.13 to fix people's issues with 1.12 .

 

Of course, there is simply no excuse for automatically forcing the firmware update on users in the first place.


I'd hate to see 1.12 not be there since it is working perfectly for me. And, I assume it must work for others. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 354 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@madbrain wrote:

@davidbick wrote:

 

Really, after all these regressions reported by so many, Netgear should either have pulled the 1.12 firmware by now, or reissued the 1.11 as 1.13 to fix people's issues with 1.12 

 

1.11 was a disaster for some and 1.12 fixed that disasterous release for many of us.

Message 355 of 810
ChuckP
Aspirant

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I can confirm that performing an "Erase" under Advanced -> Administration -> Backup Settings does in fact correct the issue with 1.12.0.18.

 

I purchased the router + sat combo from BestBuy 1 week ago, upon startup I ran into issues with 1.12.0.18 once it updated. I have confirmed power cycling does not cause the sat. to permanently disconnect any longer.

 

My guess would be that something between 11 and 12 causes an authentication issues between the Router and Sat.

Message 356 of 810
ajshurts
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I've had to put my Orbi into Acess Point mode to get it to work properly on this firmware.  There are all kinds of routing issues.  At first I thought it was because I was doublr-nat'd, but after bridging my modem and disabling all firewalls/routing on my cable modem, I experienced all the same issues and was only able to browse successfully after downgrading.

 

Only after re-enabling all the routing on the cable modem and placing the Orbi in AP mode did it start to work properly.  I am okay with the performance.  I am typing this from a desktop PC that is hard-wired into a satellite. My understanding is it still uses the back channel to communicate so I am not losing much:

Pinging orbilogin.com [192.168.0.5] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.5:
Packets: Sent = 8, Received = 8, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 2ms

I am getting my advertsised internet speeds up and down and pinging 17ms to the speedtest server.  This is not an ideal setup for me, I would prefer to use the Orbi's routing capabilities, but they are simply not working with this firmware.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 357 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

You might not see the client side problems, but if you are set into AP mode and read the logs from your firewall; then you may notice that every hour there are still IP conflicts when the sats go through their ip release renewal process(which should be daily as set by the dhcp server).
If you have that setup and still have client drop outs, then you should see DHCP Problems in your firewall/dhcp server log around the same time as the IP conflicts.
When the Orbis are in Router mode. This information is masked by the Orbi router so it is much harder to find. After logging into the orbi, you can change the page to debug.htm and pull some useful information from there. But it isn't very readable.

Message 358 of 810
Glenee
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

This is insane. We have asked nicely for a simple auto update choice selection key. On or Off.

What we get is if you would Flasu the router, got back to software 10000, reset the modem, go into the service menu and type a bunch of info, who the hell are they making these things for the general public or your local IT branch. I for one get no pleasure , not any,  messing with my router after work. I want to buy one, set it up and go on about my day. The Apple routers I had were just like that, set"em and forget em". They were no as good at coverage but they worked fine from Day one. Thats what I thought I bought here. I was never more wrong in my life. Hey Netgear you want to give me a refund for this thing, I will take it. I will even show the reciept, box it up, ship it back, I will do everything in my power to make this right. You are not going to respond to our concerns or you would have. Don't try to compete in todays world, you just are not up to the real game.

Just take what we get, and when we say you get it. That's all you will get from Netgear.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 359 of 810
ajshurts
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Traz_13 wrote:

You might not see the client side problems, but if you are set into AP mode and read the logs from your firewall; then you may notice that every hour there are still IP conflicts when the sats go through their ip release renewal process(which should be daily as set by the dhcp server).
If you have that setup and still have client drop outs, then you should see DHCP Problems in your firewall/dhcp server log around the same time as the IP conflicts.
When the Orbis are in Router mode. This information is masked by the Orbi router so it is much harder to find. After logging into the orbi, you can change the page to debug.htm and pull some useful information from there. But it isn't very readable.


Thank you for the heads up.  I went ahead and assigned static IPs to my RBR and both RBSes.  Hopefully this mitigates the issue.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 360 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

That was my first step. My sats still fall out of the DHCP server and go off to do their own thing during thier hourly DHCP release renew process. Which you can not change. My DHCP server assigns for 1 day.

Read my other post here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/td-p/1338235

Message 361 of 810
ghernb
Tutor

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Has anyone tried setting a DHCP reservation for the satellite?  Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Message 362 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I did, check the link im my previous post. I set them on my firewall after going into AP mode, thos didnt resolve anything.
Message 363 of 810
dpdurst
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@ghernb

 

I have one on mine and its been working fine through several upgrades

Message 364 of 810
st_shaw
Master

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Traz_13 wrote:

That was my first step. My sats still fall out of the DHCP server and go off to do their own thing during thier hourly DHCP release renew process. Which you can not change. My DHCP server assigns for 1 day.

Read my other post here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/td-p/1338235


Then try changing your DHCP server lease time to less than 1 hour--maybe 30 minutes.

 

Message 365 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

This might work for some, but I don' think that undermining the rules of your network for your AP devices is a very good approach. For this to be a required solution, it shows a major flaw in the sattelite firmware behaviour. This has potential to cause disconnections from applications to games and does not really make sense for most personal or small networks.

Message 366 of 810
st_shaw
Master

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Traz_13 wrote:

This might work for some, but I don' think that undermining the rules of your network for your AP devices is a very good approach. For this to be a required solution, it shows a major flaw in the sattelite firmware behaviour. This has potential to cause disconnections from applications to games and does not really make sense for most personal or small networks.


The question is whether this would solve your problem. Trying it would be informative.

 

I've not yet seen anyone else describe the behavior you describe, and my Orbi has worked fine in AP mode with three different routers, so this would not be a "required solution" for all users. Plus you can always change it back.

 

 

Message 367 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

IP conflicts are not ok behaviour no matter how you look at it. But here is the basic debug log from the Orbi router showing that it is storing conflicting IP/mac addresses for an Orbi Sat after the factory reset.

192.168.128.251 0x1 0x2 b0:b9:8a:64:f7:08 * br0
192.168.128.1 0x1 0x0 00:00:00:00:00:00 * eth0
192.168.128.18 0x1 0x2 08:66:98:ef:bc:27 * br0
192.168.128.67 0x1 0x2 38:aa:3c:d8:ce:42 * br0
192.168.128.37 0x1 0x2 dc:a9:04:88:45:18 * br0
192.168.128.83 0x1 0x2 70:f0:87:a8:54:63 * br0
192.168.128.53 0x1 0x2 34:d2:70:c4:43:e0 * br0
192.168.128.8 0x1 0x2 14:b3:1f:0a:50:d2 * br0
192.168.128.76 0x1 0x2 a0:99:9b:2f:a2:7d * br0
192.168.128.31 0x1 0x2 20:ab:37:57:80:72 * br0
192.168.128.5 0x1 0x2 14:b3:1f:0a:40:da * br0
192.168.128.24 0x1 0x2 8c:f5:a3:2d:83:b2 * br0
192.168.128.73 0x1 0x2 00:3e:e1:bd:fa:90 * br0
192.168.128.43 0x1 0x2 d4:61:9d:00:93:70 * br0
192.168.128.21 0x1 0x2 00:04:4b:79:71:59 * br0
192.168.128.14 0x1 0x2 ac:1f:6b:05:56:7e * br0
192.168.128.33 0x1 0x2 08:66:98:d9:0b:ed * br0
192.168.128.82 0x1 0x2 74:c6:3b:ed:9f:7f * br0
192.168.128.52 0x1 0x2 34:d2:70:a8:90:35 * br0
192.168.128.11 0x1 0x2 14:b3:1f:10:76:2f * br0
192.168.128.30 0x1 0x2 a0:8c:fd:53:98:ab * br0
192.168.128.79 0x1 0x2 d0:e1:40:92:22:b6 * br0
192.168.1.250 0x1 0x2 b0:b9:8a:64:f7:08 * br0

Message 368 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Pulled this from a debug log on one of the sats

1173 root 244 S /usr/bin/detcable 2 RBS50
1393 root 256 S udhcpc -b -i br0 -h RBS50 -r 192.168.1.250 -N 0.0.0.0
1438 root 296 S /usr/sbin/net-scan
1452 root 268 S /usr/sbin/lld2d br0
1575 root 376 S /usr/sbin/uhttpd -h /www.satellite -r RBS50 -x /cgi-bin -t 60 -p 0.0.0.0:80 -C /etc/uhttpd.crt -K /etc/uhttpd.key -s 0.0.0.0:443

Message 369 of 810
davidbick
Tutor

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@mdmillhorn wrote:

Since that post NetGear Support contacted me and had me Reset my router and both satellites.   


@mdmillhorn Glad things are wokring again for you. Can you say amy more about the steps that Netgear had you perform? I tried the "erase settings" options last night, but without success. Did you use the reset buttons on the devices themselves? Any ordering of actions that seemed important? I've got a few days before I hit my return deadline, so I'd appreciate any other things to try.

Message 370 of 810
mkenny28
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

My S8 connection problems started again this morning so whatever my resets did were temporary. All other devices seem to still be working properly though.

Message 371 of 810
st_shaw
Master

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Traz_13 wrote:

IP conflicts are not ok behaviour no matter how you look at it. But here is the basic debug log from the Orbi router showing that it is storing conflicting IP/mac addresses for an Orbi Sat after the factory reset.

192.168.128.251 0x1 0x2 b0:b9:8a:64:f7:08 * br0
192.168.128.1 0x1 0x0 00:00:00:00:00:00 * eth0
192.168.128.18 0x1 0x2 08:66:98:ef:bc:27 * br0
192.168.128.67 0x1 0x2 38:aa:3c:d8:ce:42 * br0
192.168.128.37 0x1 0x2 dc:a9:04:88:45:18 * br0
192.168.128.83 0x1 0x2 70:f0:87:a8:54:63 * br0
192.168.128.53 0x1 0x2 34:d2:70:c4:43:e0 * br0
192.168.128.8 0x1 0x2 14:b3:1f:0a:50:d2 * br0
192.168.128.76 0x1 0x2 a0:99:9b:2f:a2:7d * br0
192.168.128.31 0x1 0x2 20:ab:37:57:80:72 * br0
192.168.128.5 0x1 0x2 14:b3:1f:0a:40:da * br0
192.168.128.24 0x1 0x2 8c:f5:a3:2d:83:b2 * br0
192.168.128.73 0x1 0x2 00:3e:e1:bd:fa:90 * br0
192.168.128.43 0x1 0x2 d4:61:9d:00:93:70 * br0
192.168.128.21 0x1 0x2 00:04:4b:79:71:59 * br0
192.168.128.14 0x1 0x2 ac:1f:6b:05:56:7e * br0
192.168.128.33 0x1 0x2 08:66:98:d9:0b:ed * br0
192.168.128.82 0x1 0x2 74:c6:3b:ed:9f:7f * br0
192.168.128.52 0x1 0x2 34:d2:70:a8:90:35 * br0
192.168.128.11 0x1 0x2 14:b3:1f:10:76:2f * br0
192.168.128.30 0x1 0x2 a0:8c:fd:53:98:ab * br0
192.168.128.79 0x1 0x2 d0:e1:40:92:22:b6 * br0
192.168.1.250 0x1 0x2 b0:b9:8a:64:f7:08 * br0


What conflict do you see here? I see two IP addresses listed for one MAC address. That is perfectly valid. What you cannot have is one IP address used by two MACS, but I don't see that here. 

Message 372 of 810
Traz_13
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Check my first post here for the IP conflicts... IP Conflicts are the default 192.168.1.250 even though the sats are statically assigned from the DHCP server to 192.168.128.251 to 192.168.128.253
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/m-p/1338289#M11452

Message 373 of 810
groves226
Initiate

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

is there going to be something done so that users can turn off auto updating?

I just had my network drop during a conference call because of an autoupdate

Message 374 of 810
CaptStevo
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

For those that have tried to block downloads.netgear.com and have seen their Orbi auto-update again (like me), I have included some other domains to block that seem to have stopped them on my unit.  They are the top 10 domains my satelite has tried to contact, in order, from most to least contacted.  Adding them to my main router's blacklist appears to have made the firmware update server unreachable.

 

  • www.netgear.com
  • updates1.netgear.com
  • ftp.updates1.netgear.com.edgesuite.net
  • 472263.ftp.download.akadns.net
  • A1599ER83NVYL8.iot.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
  • http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
  • http.fw.updates1.netgear.com.edgekey.net
  • e70.g.akamaiedge.net

 

I will report back if blocking these domains has stopped the auto-upgrade madness.  I had previously blocked downloads.netgear.com and set the appropriate nvram options, and still had my unit upgrade itself after a few days.  Hope this helps!

Message 375 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E