Reply
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Ucchi wrote:

I don't want to speculate but can't help it; it seems to me like Netgear's quiet Insistance on everyone getting updated to 1.12.0.18 is probably that they're hiding a big boo-boo from us.

 

 


Speculating is just what you are doing. The auto-updates have been there since Orbi was released. There is no reason to believe there is anything special about forcing update to 1.12.0.18 more than any other release.

 

And regardless, 1.12.0.18 has made the whole Orbi system useless for many of us - satellites completely drop off, when they were stable with previous releases. Can't get much worse than that.

Message 426 of 810
cowilliams
Initiate

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

I updated my RBR50 router to 1.12.0.18 and my RBS50 satellite is no longer showing up as a satellite.  It's connected (has the solid blue light) but does not show up on the router web page or the Orbi app on iPhone.  I've tried factory reset, no luck.  I've tried a hard reset (30-30-30), no luck.  I've tried reconnecting through the router web page, no luck.  

 

Does anyone know what to do to fix this?  The only support topic I see is where a person had to return the satellite under warranty.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 427 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Re: V1.12.0.18 is out

I'm hoping it's a technical glitch that's causing my posts to be moderated and rejected. So I'll try one more time. 


@DarrenM or @ChristineT

After a month of this, I think the general consensus here is that we don't feel like we're being listened to and the response is totally inadequate, so who can we escalate this to? 

Message 428 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Ucchi wrote:

I don't want to speculate but can't help it; it seems to me like Netgear's quiet Insistance on everyone getting updated to 1.12.0.18 is probably that they're hiding a big boo-boo from us.


Don't know if you saw this, but the last time I reset and reconfigured my router, I noticed a window in passing that I needed to agree to...something to the effect of "you agree that Netgear is entitled to flash firmware on your Orbi without your permission" or something to that effect. Don't remember the exact wording, but it was an agreement that would allow Netgear to auto-update my Orbi...so I doubt that this was related to a single boo-boo, but more a general policy that they'll see that we're always on the latest firmware. Of course, if there are any boo-boos (heaven forfend) in the latest firmware, you'll be stuck with them is the (very likely unintended) side effect.

Message 429 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I do not understand why everyone "has" to have the same Firmware???  SERIOUSLY does every human "has" to wear the same shoe?? Everyone's environments are different everybody has different scenarios everyone's networking needs are different, people have specific requirements for their situation for their networks...along with forcing the pollution and unnecessary interference by not allowing radio power adjustment or turning off radio not needed as per individual needs and requirements... these are very basic networking concepts being flagrantly ignored by the experts at Engineering is baffling!! Can someone explain why we are now being forced to blast radio at full strength in all directions introducing and contributing to interference already in our neighborhood is this considered smart? I have no way to adjust power on radios any more this is smart? Sorry just running out of patience with Netgear after a year of optimistically waiting... Things with Firmware are regressing instead of forward progress.

Message 430 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@JMU1998 It makes support cheaper and easier and means Netgear can push out imprtant fixes with some confidence that they'll actually get applied. It's not a bad idea in itself, but there needs to be an option to opt out. 

Message 431 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Speaking of updates ... 1.12.0.20 was released for the Orbi AC2200 systems.  Nothing listed beyond 1.12.0.18 for the AC3000 systems.  Hmmmm ...

Message 432 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@DarrellRiffe wrote:

Speaking of updates ... 1.12.0.20 was released for the Orbi AC2200 systems.  Nothing listed beyond 1.12.0.18 for the AC3000 systems.  Hmmmm ...


It hasn't hit my Orbis yet. Mine should update automatically.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 433 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@JMU1998 wrote:

I do not understand why everyone "has" to have the same Firmware???  SERIOUSLY does every human "has" to wear the same shoe?? Everyone's environments are different everybody has different scenarios everyone's networking needs are different, people have specific requirements for their situation for their networks...along with forcing the pollution and unnecessary interference by not allowing radio power adjustment or turning off radio not needed as per individual needs and requirements... these are very basic networking concepts being flagrantly ignored by the experts at Engineering is baffling!! Can someone explain why we are now being forced to blast radio at full strength in all directions introducing and contributing to interference already in our neighborhood is this considered smart? I have no way to adjust power on radios any more this is smart? Sorry just running out of patience with Netgear after a year of optimistically waiting... Things with Firmware are regressing instead of forward progress.


That's why there are so many choices of WiFi systems out there. We all don't have to use Orbis. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 434 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@scornwell wrote:

@JMU1998 It makes support cheaper and easier and means Netgear can push out imprtant fixes with some confidence that they'll actually get applied. It's not a bad idea in itself, but there needs to be an option to opt out. 


On the other hand, releasing firmware updates full of regressions is going to raise their support costs significantly. Judging by the duration of the support queue, a lot of people are rightly complaining.

Message 435 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@madbrain It's premised on the theory you won't be releasing half baked, poorly tested, bug riddled software. Netgear's quality assurance team seems to be as under resourced as their support and software teams.
Message 436 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@ArtLee I agree I don't have to use Orbi but taking away ability to adjust radio or disable not needed radio was always there until latest firmware by now my return date and free support has expired can't afford another new system left with no option but be the selfish neighbor blasting away radio signals everywhere adding unnecessary interference to my neighbourhood and environment.

Message 437 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Yes, I understand. I hope they put back in those features everybody wants. I would probably turn off 2.4Mhz signal if I could. But, I'm not in a close-in situation with neighbors. I can find another half-dozen signals, however.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 438 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I'm just going to keep posting this until one of you actually answers. 

 

@DarrenM or @ChristineT
I think the general consensus here is that we don't feel like we're being listened to and the response is totally inadequate, so who can we escalate this to?

 

Willfully ignoring this issue is only making it worse.

Message 439 of 810
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

 


@DarrellRiffe wrote:

Speaking of updates ... 1.12.0.20 was released for the Orbi AC2200 systems.  Nothing listed beyond 1.12.0.18 for the AC3000 systems.  Hmmmm ...


Anyone have any ideas of how I can dig out of the mess the newest FW 1.12.0.20 caused my RB40 system?  I spent 2 hours on it last night trying to roll back the FW to 1.11.0.20. The internet disconnects were so frequent I would end up having to start over in the GUI.  I did a full Erase from the GUI, I did a Factory Reset....loaded 1.11.0.20 and it auto updated back to the lastest Crapware.  I literally am having to use the hotspot on my phone to work since the wifi disappears several times an hour, loses internet connection and has about 1/4 the speed I was getting before.  

 

Are there some settings I am not thinking of that I should set a certain way?  I have tried changing channels (even used a Network Analyzer), turned off Guest Network, toggled Beamforming off and on, did multiple power up resets.  Nothing is working and I can't seem to get back to a clean load of 1.11.0.20.  This is nuts.  Any help would be appreciated. I am kicking myself for not returning this when I had the chance.  $300 paperweight.   

Message 440 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I'm just going to keep posting this until one of you actually answers. 

 

@DarrenM or @ChristineT
I think the general consensus here is that we don't feel like we're being listened to and the response is totally inadequate, so who can we escalate this to?

 

Willfully ignoring this issue is only making it worse. It's been a month already FFS.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 441 of 810
gbjackson
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I sent off a laundry list of logs, saved config files, and other info (including screenshots from a third party wi fi analyzer) to support yesterday following the most recent automatic firmware update/disabling of my satellite.  We'll see what happens.  The first suggestion that they had was that I change my password, because it has spaces in it.  Same password that's been used for my home wi fi for the last 6 years.

Message 442 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Red herring. Most of us don't have spaces in the wifi password.
Message 443 of 810
Atld
Initiate

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Bought this a week ago, enjoyed the speed and coverage in the house, then it updated to the newest firmware and now lots of issues. I installed the previous version and it worked for an hour then auto update installed V1.12.0.18 and problems came back, wifi dropping, satellites loosing contact and general slowness. Has anyone heard of a coming update or how we can keep the old firmware and not auto update? Turned the old router back on for now, based on this forum seems like an issue that has been going on for too long so it will be returned this week. Can anyone recommend a comparable option?
Message 444 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Well, may have solved one problem. I don't think that all access methods to netgear.downloads.com was completely blocked by the Netgear router that I'm using as my wired-only router with the Orbi in AP mode. However, I just tried openDNS (free to use), and that does fully block netgear.downloads.com. This will hopefully be more effective in blocking the Orbi from finding newer firmware.

Message 445 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@TXGunLover wrote:
Red herring. Most of us don't have spaces in the wifi password.

And this is allowed by the Wifi standard. A Wifi password is actually supposed to be a passphrase, not a password.

I have over 15 Wifi devices that all support spaces in my password.  If Netgear can't support that, they shouldn't claim Wifi standards compliance.

I don't think this has anything to do with the issues with the latest firmware, though. Passphrase with a space in it worked fine with the previous firmware.

 

Message 446 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I'm just going to keep posting this until one of you actually answers.

@DarrenM or @ChristineT
I think the general consensus here is that we don't feel like we're being listened to and the response is totally inadequate, so who can we escalate this to?

We know you're there. We know you're ignoring us. When is this embarassment of incompetence and customer service going to end? Is an update too much to ask? 

Message 447 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@Atld wrote:
Bought this a week ago, enjoyed the speed and coverage in the house, then it updated to the newest firmware and now lots of issues. I installed the previous version and it worked for an hour then auto update installed V1.12.0.18 and problems came back, wifi dropping, satellites loosing contact and general slowness. Has anyone heard of a coming update or how we can keep the old firmware and not auto update? Turned the old router back on for now, based on this forum seems like an issue that has been going on for too long so it will be returned this week. Can anyone recommend a comparable option?

If I were in your shoes, I would return the Orbi to the retailer while you still can. Other users have been asking for the ability to disable upgrades to the latest firmware for many months, to no avail. Eventually, if retailers get too many returns, they will just stop carrying the Orbi. Maybe, at that point, Netgear will get the message and add the option.

Message 448 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@RogerSC wrote:

Well, may have solved one problem. I don't think that all access methods to netgear.downloads.com was completely blocked by the Netgear router that I'm using as my wired-only router with the Orbi in AP mode. However, I just tried openDNS (free to use), and that does fully block netgear.downloads.com. This will hopefully be more effective in blocking the Orbi from finding newer firmware.


I'm not surprised blocking "netgear.downloads.com'" didn't work, if that's really what you blocked.

 

Good to know that OpenDNS worked, but relying on a third party free service that might go away at any time seems like an entirely unreasonable requirement to solve this update problem, IMO.

 

Maybe I'll try that when the replacement for my bricked Orbi router comes back, though. Be sure to let us know how many days it lasts without updating.

 

Message 449 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@madbrain wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

Well, may have solved one problem. I don't think that all access methods to netgear.downloads.com was completely blocked by the Netgear router that I'm using as my wired-only router with the Orbi in AP mode. However, I just tried openDNS (free to use), and that does fully block netgear.downloads.com. This will hopefully be more effective in blocking the Orbi from finding newer firmware.


I'm not surprised blocking "netgear.downloads.com'" didn't work, if that's really what you blocked.

 

Good to know that OpenDNS worked, but relying on a third party free service that might go away at any time seems like an entirely unreasonable requirement to solve this update problem, IMO.

 

Maybe I'll try that when the replacement for my bricked Orbi router comes back, though. Be sure to let us know how many days it lasts without updating.

 


Yeah, openDNS is like me, older than the hills...can't remember when it wasn't around, and now its been bought by Cisco. The "free-ness" of it may go away, but just using openDNS and blocking a site or two has always been free. If you want to do something more interesting, like parental controls, etc., then you'll pay. 

 

At any rate, if openDNS goes away, then it does. I'll find another way to do what I want to do in that case :-). But its here now, and free to use for simple things.

Message 450 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements