Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

JMU1998
Luminary

@bsemerick yea the Netgear Genie app is still broken, if you look at the Network Map you will see link rate as N/A and all devices with 100% signal strength and as wired it is bogus needs to be fixed and NO one at Netgear cares or is bothered nor can we do anything about it but complain and Engineering choses to conveniently ignore as if it does not exist and they are reading this and laughing at me that is how much this great company has slid unfortunately it really is sad.

Message 526 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is absolutely correct... for me, out of 90 devices, the following experience this exact behavior at the exact same times:

Samsung S8+

Samsung S7e

Samsung S7

Amazon Echo

Amazon Dot (2 of them)

Amazon Tap

Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Microsoft Surface Pro (2017)

Chromecast 2nd Generation

Chromecast 1st Generation (3 of them)

I have another 75 or so devices that do not exhibit this problem.  Obviously when the unit completely crashes and reboots 7-8 times per day, they all disconnect and wait for it to boot back up.

Below is  chart of an inbound ping that I use to monitor the stability of my network.  Each of the "gaps" represents a total router crash.

Message 527 of 810
bsemerick
Guide

holy whoa.  90 devices?  Are you running a business?

Message 528 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@bsemerick wrote:

That also struck me, expecting a lot of a consumer-level router. At some point, resource exhaustion becomes an issue...

Message 529 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, just our home. Ram and CPU utilization were never an issue for my asus ac68 and ac88 routers either. A dash button isn't exactly resource intensive on a router. Nor are most of the devices I have.
Message 530 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

@RogerSC wrote:

@bsemerick wrote:

That also struck me, expecting a lot of a consumer-level router. At some point, resource exhaustion becomes an issue...

I have 38 static IP DHCP reservations in my router (R7000) at home. Not running a business, just have a lot of devices. 3 printers, 2 home theater PCs, 2 desktop PCs, 3 laptops, a solar meter, 1 chromecast, 1 Fire TV stick, Dish hopper, ooma huv VOIP, Rainforest eagle smartmeter gateway,  one tablet, three smartphones, two electric car chargers, one networked AV receiver, one Kindle fire, two single board computers (Raspberry Pi and Odroid X4), one Smart TV, one cell phone booster.

Many of these, like printers and laptops, have the option of either wireless or wired, and I have set reservations for both. But I have been progressively switching everything I could to wired as much as possible, using AV2 powerline ethernet while my Orbi has been out of commission. Have found that to be much more reliable than Wifi.

The devices that are still Wifi-only don't really have a critical need for speed except for one HTPC located very far from my router to do network backups. The backups are way too slow over powerline. They really require Wifi AC speed.

Message 531 of 810
chuncomunco
Initiate

I've had my system since 7/19 and I would get iOS/OSX device disconnects multiple times per day. I use my Apple TV to stream daily and it disconnects every few minutes.

I've tried the following:

- reset device to factory default

- played around with MU-MIMO and Beamforming settings, still disconnects

- downgrade to older firmware, updates back to 1.12.0.18

- forced all the update values to 0 and save to nvram in debug mode, doesn't help

- blocked downloads.netgear.com, doesn't help

- i've asked Tech support for new firmware update ETA, they don't know, just say sometime in the future

I love the power and speed of the RBK50, but the constant iOS/OSX device disconnects is a deal breaker. I've been getting complaints at home day in and day out to switch out the device and had it.

I returned the unit a few days ago and picked up a Linksys Velop instead. It's not as powerful as the Orbi, but at least the connection is stable.

If Netgear decides to update a firmware to fix the iOS/OSX device disconnects, I might consider switching back to the Orbi.

Netgear, you have 40 days to do so as that's what I have on my device return window.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 532 of 810
bwherry
Star

@chuncomunco I'm interested to hear more about your experience with the Linksys Velop... When you say "It's not as the Orbi" do you mean that the wifi signal isn't as strong or doesn't reach as far? Or something else?

I fear I may have to give the Linksys Velop a try as well...

Brian

Message 533 of 810
Sevi2
Tutor

I had speed drop to 20 MPS after the recent firmware "update", and no reboot helped.

So, i went into my laptop wireless card settings, and changed the preference to 5Ghz network, and BAM! Back to 100MPS speed.

Message 534 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

So, I got my replacement RBR50 router today, since the previous one was bricked during a failed firmware rollback.

I'm running it all on the latest firmware and giving it another try and see how long it takes for the satellites to drop off.

I have set the main SSID to OrbiSucks . I chose a password that does not include spaces, or any other weird characters. Then I disabled SSID broadcast.

I setup the SSID that all my devices are already setup for as "Guest network", with its weird SSID name and secure passphrase, spaces and all.

I moved my Canon Pro 100 printer back to one of the ports on Orbi satellite #1 instead of the powerline ethernet.

I got a bunch of PINGs going from one of my local single board computers (Odroid XU4) to the Orbi router  (setup as AP), each of the 2 satellites, the printer which hangs off one satellite, and my 2 electric car chargers. Let's see how long this will all last... Previous experience previously with 1.2.0.18 were mostly about 48-72 hours until one or both satellites dropped.

Message 535 of 810
gbjackson
Apprentice

Netgear support sent me a beta firmware version earlier today (labeled 2.0.0.62-debug).  Installed it, and after a recommended factory reset and some initial weirdness, the satellite and router are talking, with the satellite showing up on the browser interface as a connected satellite, not just a connected device.  Logging into the satellite's IP shows that the radios are enabled, and that there are devices connected.  Watching now for drops with connected iDevices, as that was also a problem.  I haven't dug into the beta to see what else is different, other than noticing that the "attached devices" screen shows a little more information than the 1.12 version did.

Crossing my fingers and toes, knocking wood, and everything else I can think of.  I love the system when it works, and hoping that this new version restores functionality.

Message 536 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

@gbjackson wrote:

Netgear support sent me a beta firmware version earlier today (labeled 2.0.0.62-debug).  Installed it, and after a recommended factory reset and some initial weirdness, the satellite and router are talking, with the satellite showing up on the browser interface as a connected satellite, not just a connected device.  Logging into the satellite's IP shows that the radios are enabled, and that there are devices connected.  Watching now for drops with connected iDevices, as that was also a problem.  I haven't dug into the beta to see what else is different, other than noticing that the "attached devices" screen shows a little more information than the 1.12 version did.

Crossing my fingers and toes, knocking wood, and everything else I can think of.  I love the system when it works, and hoping that this new version restores functionality.

Does this beta add the ability to stop automatic firmware updates ?

Message 537 of 810
chuncomunco
Initiate

Sure. 

The thing I noticed with the Linksys Velop is that it loses speed and distance significantly when it has to penetrate the signal through thick walls. My house is a mid 60's Ranch and has quite a few walls that have concrete filled sections.

With the Orbi, it was powerful enough to penetrate the walls in my house and still provide excellent speed and distance. 

I hope that beta testing goes well, if official firmware is released with positive results, i'll consider switching back.

Message 538 of 810
Killou92
Tutor

How is the beta firmware? can you share it somewhere?

Thanks

Message 539 of 810
NobodyHere
Initiate

I opened a support ticket this past Saturday due to satellites disappearing and many of the other issues reported here. The tech escalated to level 2 support, and they told him they are aware of the issues and will be releasing a firmware update this week. I told them I was returning this to Costco in a week if they didn't. He was adamant that a fix was imminent. I see there is one person here with beta firmware, so that is encouraging. 

I'm sure they don't care if I return it, but the response changed gave a sliver of light.

Message 540 of 810
Tim-in-CA
Star

Just picked up an Orbi system to replace a very unreliable TP-Link Deco M5 system.  Like what I have read through this very long thread, the Deco system suffered from instability after forced FW updates.  Argued with Amazon and they are taking it back after the 30 day return period.  I set up the Orbi system with two satellites (this time purchased from Costco - so returning any time in the future will be a breeze) and found that the current FW is old V1.3.0.26.  It appears that from the multitude of issues that users are having with V1.12.0.18 that I should wait to update until the next version comes out?  Any feedback?  I've only had it one evening and the only issue I have observed is very ocassional dropouts from Amazon Echo Dot streaming a Tunein station (TP-Link would drop out very frequently).  Other devices seem to speedtest at or near my ISP max (100Mbit).  I too have MANY devices connected approx 40.  I'm hoping that Orbi works out as the speed and reach in my house 3000sq ft is great (so far!)

Message 541 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@Tim-in-CA Orbi's hardware is great and if Netgear can sort out their software issues it should serve you well. If the rumours about a 2.x software version coming out imminently are true, I'd wait and see before making a call. If there are issues with that release in the first few days, I'd take it back immediately because you'll likely be waiting months for a fix.

For what it's worth, when my Orbi was actually working I'd get 800Mbps+ wired throughput at the router and 300Mbps+ throughput at the sattelite via WiFi, with a few dozen devices connected.

Message 542 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

@gbjackson did this new Beta Firmware bring back the ability to adjust radio power or turn off radio? 

Message 543 of 810
gbjackson
Apprentice

Don't know - haven't dug into it to that extent, and not entirely sure where I'd look for that particular capability.

24 hours in, router and satellite are talking, no drops watching Hulu, other streaming apps on iPad.

Don't see anything allowing any greater control over firmware updating.

Message 544 of 810
BeiBar
Initiate

Where can we get this beta software? Could you upload it to Dropbox or another sharing platform?
Message 545 of 810
alberts
Star

From german technical support I just got a very frustrating  message, i hope it's just because netgear suppor is badly organized:

" Zudem die BETA-Firmware wird momentan nicht erscheinen da, erst eine neue Firmware herausgestellt worden ist, welche das Problem behoben hat"

A new beta realse software will not be published, because just recently a new firmware has been published that solved  the problem !!

(they talk about the defective 1.12.0.18).  

Customers are still treated like fools. So has anybody the new firmware or not ?

These days "fake news" are  allover, maybe there is not even  a new beta software !!

Frustrated by all about that disappointments

albert

Message 546 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

@gbjackson wrote:

What else can you comment on this BETA Firmware? Do you own a Samsung S8/S8+ and if so did that resolve the connection issues? I have emailed my Level 2 support guy to request this same firmware. Thanks

Message 547 of 810
martyfp
Luminary

A new beta realse software will not be published, because just recently a new firmware has been published that solved  the problem !!

If the new firmware is about to released then the beta program will close and they will stop sending out the beta code.     could that be the correct interpretation?

Message 548 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@martyfp wrote:

If the new firmware is about to released then the beta program will close and they will stop sending out the beta code.     could that be the correct interpretation?

Yes, if it was a Beta program for a major release. I think that what's happening this time around is that some users that have reported problems are getting Beta test firmware. Not sure how those users are selected, generally, though, if you've reported an issue, and worked with support in supplying the information that they've requested, you're likely to get Beta firmware to see if it resolves the particular problems that you reported. Usually, in that case, each user that receives Beta firmware will be asked not to share it, so unless someone violates that agreement, it will not get shared. I've been through this several times with Netgear, and this process has been used to verify fixes for inclusion in the next release or a later release depending on how many users are affected by the problem and how serious the problem is.

I'm hoping that this is leading to a new firmware version soon, assuming that the Beta test firmware does resolve the problems that users are having. 

Message 549 of 810
Alexsolution
Initiate

Rif.: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

With this last firmware I can't set portforwarding and DMZ zone. I try everything but don't work!

The other future work perfectly for me, I have a lot of device connected and I need to reboot the network only once a month.

Question: If I do a factory reset, I lost the connection between RBR50 and satellite, or only configuration parameter are rest?

Message 550 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7