Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

RogerSC
Virtuoso

Rif.: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@Alexsolution wrote:

With this last firmware I can't set portforwarding and DMZ zone. I try everything but don't work!

The other future work perfectly for me, I have a lot of device connected and I need to reboot the network only once a month.

Question: If I do a factory reset, I lost the connection between RBR50 and satellite, or only configuration parameter are rest?

Yes, you will lose the connection between the router and satellite(s) when you factory reset them, as well as setting the configuration settings back to factory defaults. You'll find that you need to start reconfiguring from the very beginning, like when you first got the Orbi. This includes bringing up the router and satellite(s), and waiting until the router finds and gets in contact with the satellite(s). It isn't difficult, the router firmware guides you through the whole process, but it does take a few minutes. For this part, I find it is very handy to have the desktop that I'm using for configuring and admin'ing the router directly plugged into a LAN port on the router (I use the Orbi in AP mode).

Message 551 of 810
Alexsolution
Initiate

Rif.: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I reset the Orbi RBR50 router that is setting in router mode. I try to setup portforwarding before every other setting (like wifi setup, dynamic dns setup,...). Now I can not even set a port. And if I put a server IP in DMZ, even here I can not reach any port.

I think there's a problem with this firmware!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 552 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@nxc wrote:

So, I seem to have fixed my issues on the latest firmware (1.12). After going back and forth a number of times and playing with various NVRAM settings, I decided to start from scratch. Here's exactly what I did:

1. Enable telnet and sign into the router.
  2. nvram erase
  3. nvram commit
  4. reboot

Items 2-4 above are commands to enter into the console. Once it's rebooted, sign into the admin panel and then restore firmware defaults.

After doing this, running latest firmware, my WiFi and wired speeds are super fast. I'm getting over 900Mbps wired on Speedtest, and my iPhone 7 Plus is regularly exceeding 300Mbps down and goes over 400Mbps up.

I strongly suspect that corrupt NVRAM settings are the source of these problems. Whether it's bad defaults or perhaps corruption when upgrading, the end result is pain. I also think the QoS implementation is the main source of the problem. As others have noted, re-running the Speed Test seems to help things, but I think the key to a working 1.12 installation is to NEVER RUN THE SPEED TEST. The instant you run it the router saves the results and the problems set in. If you reset to defaults and never touch the speedtest settings you may find it improves things.

As always, YMMV. Hope this helps somebody.

So it's been five days, and everything has been rock solid. Again, your mileage may vary, but updating to v1.12, wiping NVRAM settings via telnet and subsequently performing a factory reset, and never using the built-in Speedtest seems to have fixed my issues. My satellite doesn't appear to have dropped connections, the satellite is currently handling about 1/3 of the devices on my network, and my speed test results (from the website -- NOT THE ADMIN) are fantastic:

IMG_0137.PNG

This is approaching the effective limit of what you can expect from a modern iOS device. I'm very happy with the results. Orbi is finally living up to its reviewer reputation.

Message 553 of 810
gbjackson
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

@martyfp wrote:

A new beta realse software will not be published, because just recently a new firmware has been published that solved  the problem !!

If the new firmware is about to released then the beta program will close and they will stop sending out the beta code.     could that be the correct interpretation?

Yes, if it was a Beta program for a major release. I think that what's happening this time around is that some users that have reported problems are getting Beta test firmware. Not sure how those users are selected, generally, though, if you've reported an issue, and worked with support in supplying the information that they've requested, you're likely to get Beta firmware to see if it resolves the particular problems that you reported. Usually, in that case, each user that receives Beta firmware will be asked not to share it, so unless someone violates that agreement, it will not get shared. I've been through this several times with Netgear, and this process has been used to verify fixes for inclusion in the next release or a later release depending on how many users are affected by the problem and how serious the problem is.

I'm hoping that this is leading to a new firmware version soon, assuming that the Beta test firmware does resolve the problems that users are having. 

This is essentially correct.  RMA'd one satellite, then could't get the replacement to work, got nowhere with tech support, so wrote a 1 star Amazon review indicating that while I really wanted to like the product, the 1.12 firmware pretty clearly broke it.  NetGear got in touch, asked for a bunch of logs (which are hard to find, as they are not accessible through the basic router or satellite interface), lists of connected devices, network info, third party software (inSSIDer) screen shots, etc...  Uploaded all of that to them, and a few days later they sent me a demo version 2.0.0.62 of the firmware to try.  I'm reluctant to share it, as (i) they know who I am, and (ii) I don't want to be responsible for further screwing up anyone else's system.  I have told them that the firmware appears to be working for me (it's now been stable for 3 or 4 days), and asked them for an ETA on a more general release.  I have also asked whether a new version would include the ability to disable automatic updates.  Netgear support said last night that the ability to disable auto updates would be included in a version of the 2.0 firmware, although it wasn't clear if it was going to be in the first roll out.

To answer someone else's question, I do not have a Samsung device of any sort on my network, so cannot speak to whether the new firmware makes a difference there.  All of devices that I do have connected (both wired and wirelessly), however, are working - even the device the controls the temperature of my barbecue grill.

Message 554 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

Yes, if it was a Beta program for a major release. I think that what's happening this time around is that some users that have reported problems are getting Beta test firmware. Not sure how those users are selected, generally, though, if you've reported an issue, and worked with support in supplying the information that they've requested, you're likely to get Beta firmware to see if it resolves the particular problems that you reported. Usually, in that case, each user that receives Beta firmware will be asked not to share it, so unless someone violates that agreement, it will not get shared. I've been through this several times with Netgear, and this process has been used to verify fixes for inclusion in the next release or a later release depending on how many users are affected by the problem and how serious the problem is.

I'm hoping that this is leading to a new firmware version soon, assuming that the Beta test firmware does resolve the problems that users are having. 

This is essentially correct.  RMA'd one satellite, then could't get the replacement to work, got nowhere with tech support, so wrote a 1 star Amazon review indicating that while I really wanted to like the product, the 1.12 firmware pretty clearly broke it.  NetGear got in touch, asked for a bunch of logs (which are hard to find, as they are not accessible through the basic router or satellite interface), lists of connected devices, network info, third party software (inSSIDer) screen shots, etc...  Uploaded all of that to them, and a few days later they sent me a demo version 2.0.0.62 of the firmware to try.  I'm reluctant to share it, as (i) they know who I am, and (ii) I don't want to be responsible for further screwing up anyone else's system.  I have told them that the firmware appears to be working for me (it's now been stable for 3 or 4 days), and asked them for an ETA on a more general release.  I have also asked whether a new version would include the ability to disable automatic updates.  Netgear support said last night that the ability to disable auto updates would be included in a version of the 2.0 firmware, although it wasn't clear if it was going to be in the first roll out.

To answer someone else's question, I do not have a Samsung device of any sort on my network, so cannot speak to whether the new firmware makes a difference there.  All of devices that I do have connected (both wired and wirelessly), however, are working - even the device the controls the temperature of my barbecue grill.

I was able to install the Beta firmware last night Beta 2.0.0.62-debug - Did not fix the Wifi issue on my S8 from what I could tell but was only able to try it for less than 10 minutes last night and started to drop connection within 5 minutes so I went back to my Guest network until I have more time to test.. Starting to think this is more of a Samsung/Android thing after googling around..

Message 555 of 810
JMU1998
Luminary

@Dustin278 does the Beta allow you to adjust the radio power? 

Message 556 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@nxc wrote:

@nxc wrote:

So, I seem to have fixed my issues on the latest firmware (1.12). After going back and forth a number of times and playing with various NVRAM settings, I decided to start from scratch. Here's exactly what I did:

2. nvram erase
  3. nvram commit
  4. reboot

Items 2-4 above are commands to enter into the console. Once it's rebooted, sign into the admin panel and then restore firmware defaults.

After doing this, running latest firmware, my WiFi and wired speeds are super fast. I'm getting over 900Mbps wired on Speedtest, and my iPhone 7 Plus is regularly exceeding 300Mbps down and goes over 400Mbps up.

I strongly suspect that corrupt NVRAM settings are the source of these problems. Whether it's bad defaults or perhaps corruption when upgrading, the end result is pain. I also think the QoS implementation is the main source of the problem. As others have noted, re-running the Speed Test seems to help things, but I think the key to a working 1.12 installation is to NEVER RUN THE SPEED TEST. The instant you run it the router saves the results and the problems set in. If you reset to defaults and never touch the speedtest settings you may find it improves things.

So it's been five days, and everything has been rock solid. Again, your mileage may vary, but updating to v1.12, wiping NVRAM settings via telnet and subsequently performing a factory reset, and never using the built-in Speedtest seems to have fixed my issues. My satellite doesn't appear to have dropped connections, the satellite is currently handling about 1/3 of the devices on my network, and my speed test results (from the website -- NOT THE ADMIN) are fantastic:

Well what do you know, this seems to have worked for me too. NVRAM reset, follow by factory reset. Reconfigured everything manually and it's working fine so far. Before I could only get 70-80Mbps wired to the router, now I'm gettting 800Mbps+.  I'll do some testing later to see if I can narrow the cause of the issue down, starting with the speed test which has some broken QOS settings hidden behind it.

Message 557 of 810
martyfp
Luminary

I agree with the theory about the speed test impacting QoS.
Message 558 of 810
martyfp
Luminary

(Sorry hit post by mistake)

I think that there is a dynamic QoS service on the router that only kicks in once the speedtest is run. (That would be in line with other net gear routers I think. )

Trouble is that the dynamic QoS seems very aggressive and/or not working properly so I also don't run the speed test for exactly that reason.

Message 559 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@martyfp wrote:
(Sorry hit post by mistake)

I think that there is a dynamic QoS service on the router that only kicks in once the speedtest is run. (That would be in line with other net gear routers I think. )

Trouble is that the dynamic QoS seems very aggressive and/or not working properly so I also don't run the speed test for exactly that reason.

The QoS settings are broken, which is why they're hidden. The professional thing to do would have been to remove them entirely, but it's pretty clear now we're not dealing with a high quality development team.

Message 560 of 810
Killou92
Tutor

I don't see problem of sharing a beta firware thats ridiculous! Can someone upload the firmware on dropbox or something?

Thanks

Message 561 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When you receive the beta you specifically sign an agreement saying you will not distribute.
Message 562 of 810
alberts
Star

I left  my experiences with the  Orbi on the german amazon site with a 1 star review.

Their answer is pure TECHNICAL FAKE NEWS. Netgear states they have already published the 1.12.0.20 software for  the RBK/RBR !!

Thats adding insult to injury when you deal for weeks with support .

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"NETGEAR TEAM
Guten Tag AlbertS,
erst einmal entschuldigen wir uns dafür, dass Sie mit dem Orbi System solche Probleme haben.
Die aktuellste Orbi Firmware in der Version 1.12.0.20 löst die von Ihnen beschriebenen Probleme.
Viele Grüße,
Ihr Netgear Amazon Team2

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Translation:

8-22-2017

NETGEAR TEAM
Hello AlbertS,
First of all, we apologize for the trouble with the Orbi System.
The latest Orbi firmware version 1.12.0.20 solves the problems you have described.
Best regards,
Your Netgear Amazon Team

Message 563 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

@JMU1998 wrote:

@Dustin278 does the Beta allow you to adjust the radio power? 

Yes you can now adjust 2.4 and 5ghz power levels

Message 564 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I agree with you on this but it's in their terms. 

Message 565 of 810
NobodyHere
Initiate

I've gotten no response from Netgear requesting the new firmware. Had two tickets open with them, no offer of any beta or new release software. Returning to costco tday, tired of dealing with them.

Message 566 of 810
Replevin
Star

This is the Netgear strategy (as I see it).  Spend no money on software engineers.  Spend no money on support.  Spend money on people who monitor amazon.  

And there are no facts that suggest that the other poster signed some sort of agreement not to distribute the beta (perhaps he/she did, but I don't see it in the post).  Once again, general seat of the pants "feelings" don't count much in life.  

Message 567 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Having received beta firmware for the Orbi,  I can confirm you sign an agreement to not distribute.

1.12.0.20 was pushed weeks ago for the 40's not the 50's.

Message 568 of 810
bsemerick
Guide

My system updated itself to 1.12.0.18.  this is ridiculous.  I've never had a router that auto updated.

Message 569 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@bsemerick wrote:

My system updated itself to 1.12.0.18.  this is ridiculous.  I've never had a router that auto updated.

The newer "wireless systems" like mesh systems, the orbi, etc. all do this. Standalone wireless routers generally don't. In fact, when you initially configured your router, you agreed that Netgear can upgrade/update your system without your permission. If you don't believe me *smile*, reset your router and satellite, and go through the initial configuration again, you'll see it there.

Message 570 of 810
Tim-in-CA
Star

At what version did auto update begin? I'm at 1.3.0.26 and it's working well, however, I'd like to manually update to the version that enabled guest network but don't want to get sucked in to auto updates.  Also. If 1.12.0.18 is so problematic for users, why doesn't Netgear pull it from their update servers?  I work for a CE brand and we can do that if users experience FW update issues.  Netgear appears to be clueless

Message 571 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Well that lasted a few hours, then Orbi stared dropping the internet connection, now it's back to the same poor speeds. 

Time to roll back the firmware again.

Message 572 of 810
jcalex22
Star

Well, it has been six weeks since I disconnected my Orbi system waiting for a new firmware update, but after reading this latest text:

Enable telnet and sign into the router.
nvram erase
nvram commit
reboot

I decided to give it a try and so far, so good with the latest firmware release, following these instructions.

Thanks to all for providing this information. It has made a difference and now use my Orbi and wait for the next offical v.2.0 release!

Cheers!

Message 573 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@scornwell wrote:

@nxc wrote:

@nxc wrote:

2. nvram erase
  3. nvram commit
  4. reboot

Well what do you know, this seems to have worked for me too. NVRAM reset, follow by factory reset. Reconfigured everything manually and it's working fine so far. Before I could only get 70-80Mbps wired to the router, now I'm gettting 800Mbps+.  I'll do some testing later to see if I can narrow the cause of the issue down, starting with the speed test which has some broken QOS settings hidden behind it.

Can somebody explain the steps needed to perform this with a Mac?  I'm aware of the Mac Terminal application, and can use it to get to Telnet.  I just can't seem to figure out how to use Telnet to connect to the Orbi Router.  I've tried "Open 192.168.1.1" and "Open orbilogin.com...", but the connection is either refused or timed out.

Message 574 of 810
st_shaw
Master

Go to the debug page on your router to enable telnet.  http://ROUTERIP/debug.htm

From the mac terminal type "telnet ROUTERIP"

Return to the debug page and disable telnet when finished.

Message 575 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7