Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

Go to the debug page on your router to enable telnet.  http://ROUTERIP/debug.htm

From the mac terminal type "telnet ROUTERIP"

Return to the debug page and disable telnet when finished.

Perfect!  Thank you very much @st_shaw

Message 576 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

Go to the debug page on your router to enable telnet.  http://ROUTERIP/debug.htm

From the mac terminal type "telnet ROUTERIP"

Return to the debug page and disable telnet when finished.

Perfect!  Thank you very much @st_shaw

Message 577 of 810
alberts
Star

It would have been to good if the problems  could be solved just be erasing NVRAM.  

After having done  NVRAM Erase, NV Commit, Reboot, Factory reset and synchronising all satellites and the router  there are still signal drops and signal strength variations.

Install a wifi analyser on your mobile and watch what the netgear beams do.

They stillll  disappear / drop & come back.

I assume the problem is in the signal strength regulation of the satellites. Just a new firmware will solve that and we are back were we have been: HOPE for an updated firmware

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 578 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

It would be nice to know why they are having such of a hard time getting things to work right; I'm sure they are dealing with drivers from the chipset manufacters of the wireless tech they are using and trying to write software around it.

Message 579 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:

It would be nice to know why they are having such of a hard time getting things to work right; 

To use a recently-popular phrase, "It's complicated."

Message 580 of 810
raven_au
Virtuoso

@spinkick wrote:

It would be nice to know why they are having such of a hard time getting things to work right; I'm sure they are dealing with drivers from the chipset manufacters of the wireless tech they are using and trying to write software around it.

And it's very often the case that a factory reset and re-configure is needed when wireless drivers are updated.

But the nvram erase also being needed is unusual, that's an interesting observation.

As it isn't known when the wireless drivers are updated the factory reset and re-configure is probably needed on every update where things start misbehaving.

Message 581 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:

It would be nice to know anything at all.

Message 582 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@DarrenM So are you ever going to provide any update here or are we just wasting our time? Seriously, what's the point of these forums if you can't tell us anything at all, and we have to find out everything third hand? 

I've had a ticket open with your support team for a month and the only time they ever respond is when I ask what the hell is going on. 

Message 583 of 810
Sevo123
Apprentice

Wowwww!!!! I messaged Netgear on Facebook which is there support team multiple times I get a auto response in 1day max you will get a response. 1 week going into the second week not a single response. This firmware is some BS! U make us pay big money for this service? Roll out the damn correct software so everyone can enjoy the actual product. I felt like I was told Im getting the Bently I paid for but in reality its a salvage toyota! I hope Netgear is reading this so they see how losing customers feels like. Soon I will be messaging corporate hopefully some of the big head honchos can do something about this!
Message 584 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@Sevo123 wrote:
 I felt like I was told Im getting the Bently I paid for but in reality its a salvage toyota! I hope Netgear is reading this so they see how losing customers feels like. Soon I will be messaging corporate hopefully some of the big head honchos can do something about this!

I have a 20 year old Toyota that's vastly more reliable that this piece of c®@p. 

I'm also looking at other channels to raise issues. The mods here ignore any request for an escalation point, so I figure my only option is to find one on my own. I'll be sure to mention the piss poor communication and willful ignoring of questions by the mod team here, I recommend you do the same. Someone has to take some ownership for this.

Message 585 of 810
scooterman2
Tutor

Am a little over my skis - am running off a mac.  When I go to http://ROUTERIP/debug.htm, I get a 404 (file or directory not found) error.  When I got terminal, I get ot he routerip directory but get the following error - routerip: nodename nor servname provided, or not known.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks

Message 586 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@scooterman2 wrote:

Am a little over my skis - am running off a mac.  When I go to http://ROUTERIP/debug.htm, I get a 404 (file or directory not found) error.  When I got terminal, I get ot he routerip directory but get the following error - routerip: nodename nor servname provided, or not known.

Thanks

You need to replace "routerip" with the actual IP address of your router, which by default will be 192.168.1.1

Message 587 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@scooterman2 wrote:

Thanks

I have my desktop hard-wired to the Orbi router unit, which is really helpful. Then I can easily use "orbilogin.com" or "orbilogin.net" with either the Chrome browser, as in "orbilogin.com/debug.htm", or with putty like "orbilogin.com" for the router. For the satellite, I do have to look up the IP address, but that's easy to do since I'm using the Orbi as an AP...just fish it out of my main router's "Attached Devices" list. You can obviously use the Orbi router unit IP address instead of "orbilogin.com" for "ROUTERIP" above, but it is a little less convenient to have to track the Orbi's IP address.

I've also used the IP address "orbilogin.com" with mobile devices like an iPad that connect to the Orbi, but I do most of my network admin work from my desktop. I like the tools that I have on it.

Message 588 of 810
bwherry
Star

Well, my satellite stayed connected w/ the V1.12.0.18 firmware for like five days - until today. *sigh* I guess I'll try the nvram erase/commit/reboot thing that others have done. Question: does that need to be done on the satellite, too, or just the router?

Thanks,

Brian

Message 589 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

Not sure if this helps at all but I have a laptop that I used connected to one of the satelites and I dont have any issues. Anyone else?

Message 590 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@spinkick wrote:

Not sure if this helps at all but I have a laptop that I used connected to one of the satelites and I dont have any issues. Anyone else?

Yep, I have about 2 dozen devices that have no problems connecting and other handful that are in disconnecting hell.

Message 591 of 810
Tim-in-CA
Star

@Tim-in-CA wrote:

At what version did auto update begin? I'm at 1.3.0.26 and it's working well, however, I'd like to manually update to the version that enabled guest network but don't want to get sucked in to auto updates.  Also. If 1.12.0.18 is so problematic for users, why doesn't Netgear pull it from their update servers?  I work for a CE brand and we can do that if users experience FW update issues.  Netgear appears to be clueless

Bump ... any feedback to what FW version started auto updates?  I'm at 1.3.0.26 and would like to update to the first version that supports Guest Networking, but worried I'll encounter auto upadating to 1.12.0.18

Message 592 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

Firmware 1.12 does work for some people, perhaps many people. Hard to tell... I suspect most people who have no problem have no reason to check in here. My Orbi router & satellite have been working just fine for me and my relatively small collection of a dozen or so devices.

Message 593 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, it worked for me as well for a couple of weeks, until I rebooted the devices, then it was back to the same behavior as was experienced with 1.11.x.

Message 594 of 810
n4cho
Apprentice

I thought we were getting a new firmware last week.  Has Netgear responded at all about any of this?  It is growing rather annoying.  Im tempted to jump through the NVRAM clear hoops but would prefer to have the proper firmware release.  I see newer 1.12.0.20 builds available for other similar devices but not my RBR50 which I am tempted to return to Costco as I had worse coverage but fewer drops with a multi flavored router DD-WRT WDS setup.  I don't have any Netgear contacts like some folks do to ask for Beta firmware so this whole process is annoying.

#frustrating

Message 595 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@n4cho wrote:

I thought we were getting a new firmware last week.  Has Netgear responded at all about any of this?  It is growing rather annoying.  Im tempted to jump through the NVRAM clear hoops but would prefer to have the proper firmware release.  I see newer 1.12.0.20 builds available for other similar devices but not my RBR50 which I am tempted to return to Costco as I had worse coverage but fewer drops with a multi flavored router DD-WRT WDS setup.  I don't have any Netgear contacts like some folks do to ask for Beta firmware so this whole process is annoying.

#frustrating

Darren will reach out to you, here on this forum, if he wants you to use the Beta.  I would recommend returning it if you're within your return window.  It's been over a month and a half of this mess and so far, no official word on a fix.

Message 596 of 810
Tim-in-CA
Star

@TXGunLover wrote:

@n4cho wrote:

#frustrating

Darren will reach out to you, here on this forum, if he wants you to use the Beta.  I would recommend returning it if you're within your return window.  It's been over a month and a half of this mess and so far, no official word on a fix.

Fellow Costco purchaser here as well. I'm not having issues, but am reticent to update to the latest FW for fear of experiencing the myriad of issues reported here. Had mine for a week, but am at much older FW that lacks Guest Networking (and auto-updating Smiley Happy). One of the primary benefits of purchasing at Costco is that you can return it at ANY time for a full refund. Routers are not part of the 90 day return policy. Had a TP Link Deco system that I bought from Amazon and had to push them to issue a refund as Echo devices were dropping off the network. I’m in a holding pattern on FW updating the Orbi until newer, more stable FW is released.

Message 597 of 810
n4cho
Apprentice

One of the primary benefits of purchasing at Costco is that you can return it at ANY time for a full refund. Routers are not part of the 90 day return policy. 

Exactly why I purchased it there 🙂  I just wish someone at Netgear would say 'hey yeah this is a thing, ETA is x.'  

I mean I saw them close the issue for ethernet backhaul with a 'working on it next' sort of comment.  Where is that at? 

The lack of communication is annoying.

Message 598 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Tim-in-CA wrote:

@TXGunLover wrote:

@n4cho wrote:

#frustrating

Fellow Costco purchaser here as well. I'm not having issues, but am reticent to update to the latest FW for fear of experiencing the myriad of issues reported here. Had mine for a week, but am at much older FW that lacks Guest Networking (and auto-updating Smiley Happy). One of the primary benefits of purchasing at Costco is that you can return it at ANY time for a full refund. Routers are not part of the 90 day return policy. Had a TP Link Deco system that I bought from Amazon and had to push them to issue a refund as Echo devices were dropping off the network. I’m in a holding pattern on FW updating the Orbi until newer, more stable FW is released.

For what it's worth, you can usually roll back without issues if you want to try a newer firmware and run into trouble. One of the reasons I went through the debugging effort to keep running the latest version is to benefit from security fixes that have been pushed. Routers are notoriously wide targets for bad actors, and running old firmwares, however seemingly stable, should not be something we recommend without considering the associated risks. However light they may be in practice. 🙂

For what it's worth, I've been running v1.12 latest stable for ten days now, with no apparent issues. Everything is fast and stable, wired and wireless, both router and satellite.

Best of luck!

Message 599 of 810
Myeviltwin
Initiate

It has been working well for me so far with the 1.12 firmware (knock on wood) but it has only been little more than a week since I got it, so too early to tell. 

But reading through all these comments, I'm now worried that it could go down any moment, so keeping my Asus router as a backup at all times. 

Message 600 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7