Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

scornwell
Apprentice

My understanding is it's a couple of weeks away, so sometime in September seems likely, but don't quote me on that. 

Message 651 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@jleecloak1 wrote:

next month........

is only a couple of days away *smile*.

Message 652 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

@jleecloak1 wrote:

next month........

It'll still be next month 30 days from now.

Message 653 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@scornwell wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@jleecloak1 wrote:

next month........

Guess my glass is half full and yours is half empty *smile*.

Message 654 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@jleecloak1 wrote:

next month........

My glass is full of Scotch.

Message 655 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

If you look hard enough from a post this am someone posted one of the newest firmwares that is probably in beta: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Updated-to-V1-12-0-18-now-Satellite-will-not-sync-quot-Wireles...
Message 656 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@scornwell wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

@RogerSC wrote:

@jleecloak1 wrote:

next month........

My glass is full of Scotch.

Cheers!

Message 657 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Dustin278 wrote:
If you look hard enough from a post this am someone posted one of the newest firmwares that is probably in beta: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Updated-to-V1-12-0-18-now-Satellite-will-not-sync-quot-Wireles...

Still there...

Message 658 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

Same one I got last night from level 2 support and fixed my problems..

Message 659 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

@Dustin278 wrote:

So ... what model of Orbi system do you have?  I have the RBK53 (RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites), and I so want to try this.  Right now, I'm keeping things limping along by just running the router with no satellites - not exactly what I paid for.  But I'm reluctant to try the firmware without knowing what Orbi systems it has successfully fixed.

Message 660 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

It's for RBR50 and RBS50.

Message 661 of 810
fcwest
Star

Can anyone provide a walk-thru of how to manually update the firmware on the satellites if they can't be seen by the router?

Message 662 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

@DarrellRiffe wrote:

@Dustin278 wrote:

So ... what model of Orbi system do you have?  I have the RBK53 (RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites), and I so want to try this.  Right now, I'm keeping things limping along by just running the router with no satellites - not exactly what I paid for.  But I'm reluctant to try the firmware without knowing what Orbi systems it has successfully fixed.

I also have the RBK53 - make sure you update the satellites first and then the router! There are multiple ways to update but here is the way I did it.

1)Find ip address for each satellite and login - one of mine was 192.168.1.5 and the other was 192.168.1.3 - yours will be different I am sure but those were mine - then I loaded the RBS50 for the satellites then it took about 3 minutes each to finish

2)updated the router via 192.168.1.1 and used the file RBR50

Message 663 of 810
Mlny2
Initiate

Got disconnected again so guess what? I'm hooking up Google wifi for now and then try again when net gear gets their act together.
Message 664 of 810
PhysicalEd
Star

Maybe they're actually testing it this time?

Message 665 of 810
rexet
Guide

Thank you for the link to the v2 beta firmware. I have updated both the router and the satelites this morning. Let's see how they behave now.

Message 666 of 810
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Did you get disconnected using the beta firmware?

Message 667 of 810
Dustin278
Apprentice

@jleecloak1 wrote:

Did you get disconnected using the beta firmware?

I have been up and running for almost 48 hours with no problems - My S8 was disconnecting but after the latest Verizon update is running perfect

Message 668 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@rexet wrote:

Thank you for the link to the v2 beta firmware. I have updated both the router and the satelites this morning. Let's see how they behave now.

Despite having a rock solid v1.12 installation, I went against protocol and went ahead and installed the beta. I immediately ran into issues. Downstream bandwidth dropped from 900+ Mbps to 100.

Based on prior experience, I immediately enabled telnet, did the NVRAM wipe, and then did a factory reset and proceeded to reconfigure everything, yet again. Now everything is working fine, just like before.

I don't know what Netgear's engineers are smoking, but it sure looks like the upgrade process is broken. So unhappy right now. Even though my network is working fine, I now can effectively assume that every update I want to install just to get security fixes is going to involve a full wipe and reconfigure.

NETGEAR: GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!! 😡😡😡

Message 669 of 810
fcwest
Star

I installed the beta about 14 hours ago. I'm happy to say it retained my configuration and things are going well. Downstream speeds are back to where they were before. No dropouts either. Router reports seeing both satellites now.

I did peform a factory reset to the satellites prior to installing the beta. That was the best option so that I could more easily find the satellites' IP addresses and connect to them directly via ethernet to install the beta firmware.

After installing the beta on the satellites, I performed a re-sync between the router and satellites. All is good so far!

Message 670 of 810
n4cho
Apprentice

The link to the beta firmware requires a login?  I would relaly like to install this - is the login something I should know?  Can I get into the BETA program some other way?

Message 671 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@nxc wrote:

@rexet wrote:

Despite having a rock solid v1.12 installation, I went against protocol and went ahead and installed the beta. I immediately ran into issues. Downstream bandwidth dropped from 900+ Mbps to 100.

Based on prior experience, I immediately enabled telnet, did the NVRAM wipe, and then did a factory reset and proceeded to reconfigure everything, yet again. Now everything is working fine, just like before.

I don't know what Netgear's engineers are smoking, but it sure looks like the upgrade process is broken. So unhappy right now. Even though my network is working fine, I now can effectively assume that every update I want to install just to get security fixes is going to involve a full wipe and reconfigure.

NETGEAR: GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!! 😡😡😡

Hmmm...I replied to this posting already, my reply seems to have disappeared. So I'll try again *smile*.

Sometimes when a router is flashed, memory corruption can result. What the user sees is problematic behavior, and if they were to get in touch with Netgear support, one of the first things that's suggested is to reset to factory defaults, and re-enter the user's configuration. It is common practice with consumer routers that if problems arise after a firmware update flash, manual or automatic, that the router is reset and reconfigured. While Netgear would like this not to happen, I'm sure, it really does happen and there's not much that Netgear can do about it. Kind of a random occurance for the level of hardware that consumers are willing and able to pay for.

So your experience, while not fun, is part of the normal course of long term hardware use. I really hope that your router will be fine from here on out, but I've had to reset my Orbi units here once or twice as well due to problematic behavior, and that's just life. Most times when I do a factory default reset, it's because that's the most expedient way to fix a serious problem. And things are usually good for quite a while after that. I really hope that's the case for you.

Message 672 of 810
MarkC1024
Luminary

I've been solid on 1.12.0.18 as well, and also decided to try the beta.  Working fine without any speed loss (200 down).  I do make it a point that once the router and satellites are up on the new firmware, take everything down and then bring them back up starting with the router.  Haven't had to do a reset or nvram wipe - yet.

Message 673 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

Hmmm...I replied to this posting already, my reply seems to have disappeared. So I'll try again *smile*.

Sometimes when a router is flashed, memory corruption can result. What the user sees is problematic behavior, and if they were to get in touch with Netgear support, one of the first things that's suggested is to reset to factory defaults, and re-enter the user's configuration. It is common practice with consumer routers that if problems arise after a firmware update flash, manual or automatic, that the router is reset and reconfigured. While Netgear would like this not to happen, I'm sure, it really does happen and there's not much that Netgear can do about it. Kind of a random occurance for the level of hardware that consumers are willing and able to pay for.

So your experience, while not fun, is part of the normal course of long term hardware use. I really hope that your router will be fine from here on out, but I've had to reset my Orbi units here once or twice as well due to problematic behavior, and that's just life. Most times when I do a factory default reset, it's because that's the most expedient way to fix a serious problem. And things are usually good for quite a while after that. I really hope that's the case for you.

In most instances I'd agree with you. But having used many brands of router, and many routers period, including Netgear routers, I can confidently say this is the most trouble I've ever had with a router product. My previous Asus router didn't have any issues beyond not quite covering my home. The D-Link that preceded it was great for the couple years I had it. The Linksys before that was decent, too. None of them had the major stability issues that the Orbi seems to have. Even DD-WRT was more stable during the years I ran it.

Dunno. I just have higher expectations from a $400 product. I'm more or less happy with it, despite my complaints, because when it works it is faster and smoother than anything I've used before. That doesn't mean Netgear gets a free pass for releasing a buggy product, or for its complete silence publicly about the issues the hardware faces.

Message 674 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

There is no reason for memory to become "corrupted" during a software update, nor is there any reason for settings to get broken or changed, beyond poor programming practices and/or quality assurance. If changes are big enough that old settings are incompatible then the update should reset settings, not just leave the router half-working The reason we continue to see this so much in consumer routers is the bar has already been set pretty damn low, and we've come to accept that it's normal.

To be clear, the issue @nxc is having happens every single time you upgrade to 1.2 or 2.X from an earlier version. It's a defect in the update process that should be obvious if they were testing correctly and it's an issue that I raised with them well over a month ago. It also requires a NVRAM reset, not just a factory reset to resolve.

Message 675 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7