Reply
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Can you guys point me to the nvram reset process? Also do we need to reset the nvram on the satellites?
Message 676 of 810
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


scornwell wrote: 

To be clear, the issue @nxc is having happens every single time you upgrade to 1.2 or 2.X from an earlier version. It's a defect in the update process that should be obvious if they were testing correctly and it's an issue that I raised with them well over a month ago. It also requires a NVRAM reset, not just a factory reset to resolve.


My updates to v1.2 and v2.x were fine, no problems, no need for any settings changes, so it doesn't happen for every update...it is apparently happening to enough people, though, that we're reading about it a lot *smile*. I don't agree about memory corruption as a result of the flashing process, that happens and will continue to happen, as I said, with the consumer-level hardware, my Orbi included. Just because you pay $400 for your router, that doesn't mean that you're getting enterprise level hardware, in this case that means that you're getting more consumer level hardware. You get 2 solid units in the basic Orbi package, which accounts for a good part of the higher price. The fact that when the Orbi works right it provides great wireless, and it has worked well for me nearly all the time I've had it, also makes it worth a little more than the cost of parts to me *smile*.

 

Anyways, I don't like to argue, I think that we're just going to have to disagree on this one. I don't excuse firmware bugs, by the way, I do excuse problems that happen because the hardware isn't targeted to the enterprise, since I'm not paying an enterprise price for it. I was specifically talking about resetting to factory defaults after a flash, not giving Netgear a pass for firmware bugs by any means. And yes, all router manufacturers should be testing as well as they can manage, and any problems that happen once should not happen again, since regression testing is one of the most important parts of mfr. testing.

 

 

I feel that I should add that the Orbi has worked well for me nearly the whole time I've had it, since late last year. I don't do exotic stuff with my router and wireless, but reliability, performance, and wireless coverage are important to me. The Orbi has delivered that for me, I'm sorry that others have had such difficult experiences. Yes, there was functionality that I miss removed from V1.12, but the basics of performance and reliability were still there for me. Again, I'm sorry that too many people had real problems with v1.12.

Message 677 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

OK.  I tried to update using the beta version.  Everything seemed to upload OK; however, I'm still showing V1.12.0.18 for both the router and sats.  What am I doing wrong?

 

Message 678 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@RogerSC That's because you're not using VLAN tagging and don't have a gigabit internet connection to test against. It does happen for every update, under the right circumstances. It's a consistently reproducible software defect. 

 

If the issue was memory corruption, the Orbi wouldn't have specific, reproducible issues, it likely wouldn't function at all.

 

I've been developing software for over 20 years, including controllers for aerial and submersible drones and other embedded systems. Memory doesn't just randomly corrupt in the way you're suggesting and there are ways of ensuring software updates are applied as intended.

This has nothing to do with enterprise vs consumer hardware, it's a software quality assurance issue and it shouldn't happen.

Message 679 of 810
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@scornwell wrote:

@RogerSC That's because you're not using VLAN tagging and don't have a gigabit internet connection to test against. It does happen for every update, under the right circumstances. It's a consistently reproducible software defect. 

 

If the issue was memory corruption, the Orbi wouldn't have specific, reproducible issues, it likely wouldn't function at all.

 

I've been developing software for over 20 years, including controllers for aerial and submersible drones and other embedded systems. Memory doesn't just randomly corrupt in the way you're suggesting and there are ways of ensuring software updates are applied as intended.

This has nothing to do with enterprise vs consumer hardware, it's a software quality assurance issue and it shouldn't happen.


I agree with your point about how I use a router, that's why I mentioned that I don't do anything exotic. 

 

By the way, I've worked for 45 years with computer software development and hardware, mostly on the enterprise end in OS design work and release engineering. HP, EMC, Intel, etc. I can't agree with you on your "memory corruption is only a software issue" point, that isn't my experience with flashing routers. So it goes.

 

No more from me on this one.

Message 680 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Oof, you know the conversation has ended when people start comparing how long they’ve been in a relevant field. Let’s bring it down a notch, fellas. Clearly, some people are having problems and others are not. Clearly, some people are having mostly positive experiences. Both are possible, these are not usually exclusive. I never mentioned the word enterprise, but I won’t get into my own counter argument. Let’s get back on track, shall we?
Message 681 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Please - somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong.  I'm typing this quickly, because I don't know when this Orbi is going to drop my connection again.  I tried to update my satellites and then my router to the beta.  Obviously, it didn't take, because it is still showing V1.12.0.18 on all devices.  I've done a reset on all three devices, but have not done the NVRAM erase settings since before trying the update.  Since trying to update, I'm in the same boat.  Satellites dropping in and out, connections to WiFi devices holding for 30 seconds to a minute or two and then dropping.  I disconnected the satellites again, and that seems to make it more stable.  If I can't resolve this tonight, then I have to go router shopping tomorrow. 

Message 682 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@RogerSC wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

@RogerSC That's because you're not using VLAN tagging and don't have a gigabit internet connection to test against. It does happen for every update, under the right circumstances. It's a consistently reproducible software defect. 

 

If the issue was memory corruption, the Orbi wouldn't have specific, reproducible issues, it likely wouldn't function at all.

 

I've been developing software for over 20 years, including controllers for aerial and submersible drones and other embedded systems. Memory doesn't just randomly corrupt in the way you're suggesting and there are ways of ensuring software updates are applied as intended.

This has nothing to do with enterprise vs consumer hardware, it's a software quality assurance issue and it shouldn't happen.


I agree with your point about how I use a router, that's why I mentioned that I don't do anything exotic. 

 

By the way, I've worked for 45 years with computer software development and hardware, mostly on the enterprise end in OS design work and release engineering. HP, EMC, Intel, etc. I can't agree with you on your "memory corruption is only a software issue" point, that isn't my experience with flashing routers. So it goes.

 

No more from me on this one.


I never said memory corruption is only a software issue, so please don't present it as a quote. What I'm saying is memory corruption doesn't manifest like this and, if reproducible by applying a software change, can be avoided by changing that process. And even if corruption was happening, there are plenty of means of determining whether a software update has applied correctly and if not, alerting the user or rolling back. I've written, tested and pushed these sorts of updates many hundreds of times. 

VLAN tagging really isn't exotic, it's common for fibre and cable connections.

 

Anyway, it's not my intention to turn this into an argument, I think we agree that it's not acceptable that users have to telnet to their routers to get them back into a working state after an update, and that this whole crazy process has been taking way too long. 

Message 683 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@DarrellRiffe wrote:

Please - somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong. 


It's pretty difficult to know what you've done wrong without knowing what youv'e actually done or what you did it to.

 

What hardware are you using and what process did you follow for the update?

Message 684 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@scornwell wrote:

@DarrellRiffe wrote:

Please - somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong. 


It's pretty difficult to know what you've done wrong without knowing what youv'e actually done or what you did it to.

 

What hardware are you using and what process did you follow for the update?


I have the RBK53 -1 RBR50 router and 2 RBS50 satellites.  I downloaded the beta firmware V2.0.0.64, unzipped it, unzipped the two folders (one for the router and one for the satellites).  I plugged in the satellites, found their IP addresses and went to the firmware update.  Loaded the beta firmware (RBS50-V2.0.0.64.img) into the update file section and then hit update - this for both satellites.  Then, I went to 192-168.1.1 (my router) and manually upladed the RBR50-v2.0.0.64.img.  After doing so, all showed V1.12.0.18.  I had trouble connecting the sats, so did factory reset on all three.  Still showed V1.12.0.18, but the sats keep dropping, and WiFi signal comes and goes.  Disconnected the sats, and things are stable with just the router.

Message 685 of 810
Highlighted

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Purchased RBK50 set a few days ago and hardware is auto-updated to V1.12.0.18, router connected to BT Smarthub and all parameters are at default settings . Speed has improved but sadly all my iOS devices (6 ipads and iphones in my family) keep dropping wifi on video streaming every few minutes. Thought it was signal strength and bought and other R30 as satellite but couldn't install it at all after 2 hrs of trial. Simply return everything and go back to my slower but reliable set of three AirPort Extremes. 

Voting on my feet to tell this company that no matter how excellent the hardware is and how positive those reviews are, the company simply shouldn't warp the hardware with inferior software and use us as guinea pigs to help them testing "official" but in fact beta version. 

Message 686 of 810
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I have updated to the beta firmware and I am still having issues on my iphones, ipad is somewhat OK. Signal in my back yard is still strong, but the internet is complete garbage. Inside my house running smooth 200-300mb/s.

 

I have tried everything at this point, not sure if any firmware is going to fix my connection drops in my backyard. Which is litterally 20ft from my router. My damn modem/router worked better. Didn't give that kind of speed but at least I can browse the web in my backyard. I will probably try to sell my orbi on some local classifieds.

Message 687 of 810
Highlighted
Star

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Thank You guys for providing the link to get the newest firmware. Something support was not able  to do  since it came  out.

 

Many of us sufferred  beyond  imagination from the bad implemantation  of this product. So hopes were high that the recent sotware 2.x somewhat solves the always changing signal levels (and drops) of  the satilites.  

So far this is not the case, even with this firmware the orbis are not ready for primetime

For some people the firmware have solved some problems, for other's like me still  not. And then  beware to reboot and nobody knows what happens then.

 

To be fair,  so far the firmware  is only beta. Maybe at some point in the future netgear with their desastrous  support and development manages  to make their expensive product fly. I look elsewere. I have scruples to sell  the 4 unites knwing that they are crap.

 

After 4 weeks  i give up wasting time ...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 688 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I'm with you on this. I haven't even installed the beta firmware after getting a copy of it from a link that was posted earlier because I have been disappointed so many times with past updates. I give up and I will post my Orbi on Ebay. I can't believe that we have to suffer at the cost of losing $400 for a broken product and no chance of a refund.

 

This just reaffirms my case I said months ago that the problem isn't the firmware it's the hardware. In order to get the product stabilized they are going to have to disable so many features and functions that you are going to be left with a severely over priced router + access point and not a even close to what you paid for.

Message 689 of 810
Highlighted

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


I really feel awful about all the problems you folks have had.  I wasn't very bright and didn't start reading the posts on here until after I ordered my Orbi.  Then sat in fear of what would happen after I installed it.  Then it updated to the 1.12.0.18 firmware and the fear started all over again.

 

I am 3 weeks into using the Orbi and it has not even burped.  It has been rock solid and my coverage is much improved from my old router.

 

Every day when I get home from work, the first thing I do is check to see if the wifi is still on.  Always on, and according to the stats it has run continuosly except for when it rebooted itself after installing the firmware update.

 

This is the first Netgear router I have had that has lived up to it's billing.  So far that is! I still have that nagging doubt that something will happen.  I can only hope that the future firmware updates don't change that. 


 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 690 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I, too, check my Orbi system every day. It has been solid. But, I keep thinking it will fall over completely. I feel for all of you with so many different problems. If I start getting those issues, I don't know what I'd do. I'd be tempted to move back to my slower Airport Extreme/Express combination. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 691 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I am also rock stable with good speeds. My satellites both are stable and I max out my 350 mb internet connection on a wired laptop to a satelite. After the Samsung update, my phone has had no connection issues. I run the orbi in access point mode, however. I have two neighbors but they are k seperate channels and my 5ghz channel is completely away from any kind of interferance outside the orbi radios. Wish I could help
Message 692 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@spinkick wrote:
 After the Samsung update, my phone has had no connection issues.

 


So, are you thinking that Samsung has or had a problem?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 693 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

Samsung absolutely had a problem, the s8 had issues with any mesh style wifi system, not just orbi. Massive threads on other support sites too. I do IT for a living and clients were dieing
Message 694 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion


@spinkick wrote:
Samsung absolutely had a problem, the s8 had issues with any mesh style wifi system, not just orbi. Massive threads on other support sites too. I do IT for a living and clients were dieing

Thanks, I saw the posts here, but hadn't seen anything else. Glad they fixed that. I'd sure like it if Netgear gets things fixed. I assume it's complicated because not everyone has the same problem or even has a problem. 

 

And there's this: 

Netgear Launches Orbi Pro Wi-Fi System Kit for SMBs

 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 695 of 810
Highlighted

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

3rd day on the beta firmware 0 drops everything working fast and finally fine... If it continues like this I'll never update again and will stay with this beta firmware for the rest of my Orbi days lol don't trust new firmware anymore specially if you cannot prevent auto updates. Crazy how long Netgear is taking to release the new firmware but happy to be stable with the beta.
Message 696 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I have this sneaking feeling they are waiting on chipset manufacturers for the radios in these things to release updates that they then build into the firmware. All these companies do is take the new chipset tech and package it into a product.
Message 697 of 810
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

 

Well, if they are releasing the Orbi Pro at least we know what Netgear are focused on !

 

Much the same as last time when the RBK30 and RBK40 were released - all efforts were focused on their release  to the detriment of the old RBK50.

 

 

Message 698 of 810
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

I believe I have found my iPhone issue out. With the new firmware you can see what devices are connected to 2.4g and 5g networks. While I'm inside the house iPhones are running nicely on the 5g network. Soon as I step outside in the backyard they get pushed to the 2.4g network, and the disconnects and the extremely slow speeds kick in. I wish there was a way to disable 2.4g on the iPhone. 

Message 699 of 810
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

A couple things that I would try would be turned down 2.4 transmission to like 50%or try a different Channel on your 2.4 and you something like 1 or 6 or 13
Message 700 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements