Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

I've temporarily resolved my dropout problem by simply turning off both satellites.  Stable, but I don't get the coverage that I need in my house. When I first installed the RBK53, it was fantastic.  Two firmware updates later (including the beta), and I basically have three expensive paperweights.  So tomorrow, I'm getting a new router.  I haven't yet decided which one, but I'm researching tonight. I do know that it will not have the Netgear brand on it.

Adios!

Message 701 of 810
MrHudson
Star

Hello, I am struggling to find the beta download link. Can someone share it again?

Message 702 of 810
ikjadoon
Star

So I take it that returning my Orbi to Best Buy four weeks ago was a good move? My old router is showing its range and I was tempted by Orbi once more, after seeing the update land decently well.

I can't take the stress and frustration of dropped connections; there's too much work to be done to bother with this day-in and day-out. Adios, once again, Orbi.

Message 703 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Unfortunately I can now confirm the latest beta firmware (V2.0.0.64), only resolves my issues until the next reboot. I can reproduce the issue with 100% reliability. 

I couldn't be more pissed off that I've wasted so much time with support, gathering logs and taking endless screenshots, for them to deliver a supposed fix that clearly wasn't tested at all.

Message 704 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@scornwell wrote:

Unfortunately I can now confirm the latest beta firmware (V2.0.0.64), only resolves my issues until the next reboot. I can reproduce the issue with 100% reliability. 

I couldn't be more pissed off that I've wasted so much time with support, gathering logs and taking endless screenshots, for them to deliver a supposed fix that clearly wasn't tested at all.

I can confirm this as well. Everything was great until I rebooted the router. Then downstream speeds dropped to 1/10 what they were. I'm now in the process of rolling back to v1.12 and doing the NVRAM dance. SMH.

Message 705 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Downgraded satellite to 1.12, downgraded router, nvram wipe, factory reset, back to normal.

*groan*

Message 706 of 810
4redstars
Guide

Is there really anything to do? I can't handle the complete instability. How do we get access to beta firmware as I'm about throw this set up on Craiglist and try something else. 

Constant dropouts, weird dead spots, BUT when it works, it works amazingly. it's just not that often. 

Message 707 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

While the newest Verizon update made no difference for the S8+ issues for me, the 2.0.0.64 did restore WAN and device stability for the multiple echo's, surfaces', and Chromecast gen 1 and gen 2 devices.

We were able to watch a full movie on chromecast for the first time since 1.11.0.x was released.

Nice to finally get back to the stability Orbi had before that release.

Message 708 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@TXGunLover wrote:

While the newest Verizon update made no difference for the S8+ issues for me, the 2.0.0.64 did restore WAN and device stability for the multiple echo's, surfaces', and Chromecast gen 1 and gen 2 devices.

We were able to watch a full movie on chromecast for the first time since 1.11.0.x was released.

Nice to finally get back to the stability Orbi had before that release.

I agree. While I wasn't having stability problems with v1.12, I do like the "Attached Devices" list format in v2.0 better. And being able to turn 2.4GHz. wireless txpower down to 25%. It's just as stable and performs as well as v1.12 here.

I'd like it if I could prevent auto-update for the firmware as well, don't see how to do that. Given how well the v2.0 test version is working for me, I'm okay with that for the moment.

Message 709 of 810
timch
Luminary

I’ve added before that my Orbi is working really well under 1.12 firmware. It rebooted a few days ago and no problems afterwards so the issues that some are facing here are not universal. 

Message 710 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@RogerSC wrote:

I'd like it if I could prevent auto-update for the firmware as well, don't see how to do that. Given how well the v2.0 test version is working for me, I'm okay with that for the moment.

You can't disable auto-update, and I don't believe the feature is coming, despite it being asked for dozens of times in this thread and despite it being the quickest and easiest fix for a number of us. 

Message 711 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Just installed the Linksys EA9500 AC5400 Router ... and it is working great!  My RBK53 system is in the basement, awaiting some firmware that actually works.  So, I'll monitor the forum to see if that actually happens.  No way that I would sell it to anybody as it is right now, business but if there is a fix somewhere down the line ... Well, we'll see.  As it is right now, I'm perfectly happy with the Linksys EA9500.  

Message 712 of 810
Glenee
Apprentice

I am just thinking about getting something else or just hooking up the old apple I was using before. If I do decide to do this I am going to drop the Netgear  RBK50 System by the Attorney General Office and see if he can get it to work. He has had some luck in making things work  for us here.

They still didn't put the No Auto update feature in, what a horrible company. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 713 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Yeah. After I did some research on my replacement router, I went to the store. I told the guy, "What do you believe is your best wireless router... and don't even consider mentioning ORBI." He said, "Yes, we're getting a lot of complaints on those." He tried to point me toward a slop, but I said "No". Then, to the Nighthawk X10. Again, "No". Research pointed me to the Linksys 9500. Very happy so far.
Message 714 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Autocorrect translated "Velop" to "slop". Sorry about that.
Message 715 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

By the way ... Don't quote ONE SENTENCE of my message in a response designed to denegrate me ... and then when I respond with info that was pretty much included with the original post, with NOTHING. Doesn't help anybody AND NOT APPRECIATED.
I am done with this...
Message 716 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

DarrellRiffe, I'm glad to hear that you've found a good solution to the problems that you were having. Hope that the Linksys continues to work well for you.

Message 717 of 810
ukwildcat4life7
Aspirant

Hello everyone.  I purchased the RBK50 system back in March and it worked fine until the last firmware update so for the last month or so its been sitting in my closet and I am using a single router that is working fine but of course I'd prefer to have my $350 orbi system going.  I have read throughout this thread that some of you were lucky to get a beta firmware sent to you by netgear.  I read that the only way we can get this firmware is to contact support through this forum? I tried that and whenever I input my serial number it shows that my complimentary 90 day support expired in June and it would not let me go any further unless I paid for some premium gearhead support......so am I correct in saying that I will have to wait until netgear releases their next firmware or is there another way I can get access to the beta firmware? any input much appreciated... thanks in advance!

Message 718 of 810
gbjackson
Apprentice

Purely anecdata, but it seems like the best way to get their attention is to give it a one star review on Amazon.  They seem to monitor that much more than they monitor this forum.  

Message 719 of 810
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

gbjackson, very true actually.

Although I did not leave a review on Amazon UK, I did use it to make contact and had a very quick response when dealing direct.

For that I have to give a big thumbs up to "NETGEAR Support Team" ( thanks Neil )

Message 720 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Bing-Stroller wrote:

gbjackson, very true actually.

Although I did not leave a review on Amazon UK, I did use it to make contact and had a very quick response when dealing direct.

For that I have to give a big thumbs up to "NETGEAR Support Team" ( thanks Neil )

Yes, Neil is a great guy, and has been a big help!

Message 721 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

I'm glad others are having a better support experience than I am. My support guy is friendly and helpful enough, but he takes days to reply to any messages (I'm guessing he's pretty overloaded) and so far all he's offered up is an older version of the beta firmware that doesn't address my issues at all, not that that's his fault. The latest beta doesn't help either.

We're now a week shy of the two month mark and the situation still doesn't look great.

• Mods still haven't responded in any meaninful way, despite regular tagging. To be fair, I don't think there's much they can say. 
  • Beta firmware appears to resolve some issues, but just like with V1.12.0.18 most of those fixes don't survive a reboot.
  • The workaround which would have kept customers happy in the interim, allowing users to disable auto-updates, has not been implemented and doesn't look like it will be. Thsi is pretty unforgivable given how many customers are asking for it and how simple and quick it would have been to release. Policy first, customers second. 

So it seems Netgear know what we want better than we do and don't feel we deserve any transparency with regard to progress on the issues. This isn't the fault of the mods here, the community or support people were talking to, it appears to be awful, backward, company policy.

I've given up and moved on to Google WiFi, which so far is working great. The backhaul speed is marginally lower, but in real-world usage it's not at all noticable, and it's a happy compromise for a router that doesn't drop the internet connection at least once a day and doesn't have crippled internet throughput for those with gigabit fibre connections. The software is considerably more polished too, if that's important to you.

Unfortunately I can't sell Orbi in it's present state, so for now I'm stuck following this thread. 

Message 722 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

I went and gave Orbi a 2-star review on Amazon. It’s a well-earned score in my view.
Message 723 of 810

Has anybody tried the AmpliFiHD setup?  I am leaning towards trying it.  Tired of the fighting the Orbi.

Message 724 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Tigerman4LSU wrote:

Has anybody tried the AmpliFiHD setup?  I am leaning towards trying it.  Tired of the fighting the Orbi.

I've heard good things about the eero gen 2. Both the pack with the one main unit and two beacons, or the pack with the three main units.

I would look into the IPv6 situation, though, before going that way, if you need IPv6 now. 

Message 725 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7