Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

scornwell
Apprentice

@MarkC1024 wrote:

Curious if you've tried to isolate the reboot behavior by only bringing up the router and not the satellites?  Same situation connecting through the isolated router?

My core issue is ethernet to internet throughput from the router, satellites don't come into play. That said, yes I've tested with no satellites and the issues still manifest after a reboot. 

Message 751 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

@scornwell wrote:

@MarkC1024 wrote:

Curious if you've tried to isolate the reboot behavior by only bringing up the router and not the satellites?  Same situation connecting through the isolated router?

My core issue is ethernet to internet throughput from the router, satellites don't come into play. That said, yes I've tested with no satellites and the issues still manifest after a reboot. 

I am firmly of the opinion that most, if not all, folks are in fact affected by speed issues, but that most people also don't have an internet connection fast enough to expose the issues. If you're paying for anything less than 100Mbps down you are much less likely to notice problems related to speed. Those of us fortunate to have access to affordable Gigabit service are naturally going to be more susceptible to problems and noticing when they're happening.

Message 752 of 810
ArtLee
Apprentice

@nxc wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

@MarkC1024 wrote:

I am firmly of the opinion that most, if not all, folks are in fact affected by speed issues, but that most people also don't have an internet connection fast enough to expose the issues. If you're paying for anything less than 100Mbps down you are much less likely to notice problems related to speed. Those of us fortunate to have access to affordable Gigabit service are naturally going to be more susceptible to problems and noticing when they're happening.

I have 100 Mb service and consistently get 118-120 Mb on my MacBook. By Ethernet or wifi. Btw, 250 is the fastest available here. No gigabit service. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 753 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

I am signed up for 300 mb service in my area and I consistently get this from a laptop hardwired into a satelite, of which I have two.

Message 754 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Are you guys with internet connections over 100Mbps using VLAN tagging?
Message 755 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

I'm not. My Orbi is in access point mode as well.

Message 756 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:

I'm not. My Orbi is in access point mode as well.

That would explain it. Your router isn't doing any routing. 

I think the issue is related to packet handoff to the WAN and potentially VLAN tagging. I would hope no one is having throughput issues in AP mode. 

Message 757 of 810
nxc
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am using a VLAN tagged gigabit connection.
Message 758 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@nxc wrote:
I am using a VLAN tagged gigabit connection.

Yep, and having the same issue as me. 

Message 759 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

Most likely you are right, I deffinately dont like my access points doing my routing, but for a home unit there shouldnt be these types of problems.

Message 760 of 810
DarrellRiffe
Apprentice

Well, after trying out several different routers over the past couple of weeks, I've finally settled on my Orbi replacement.  When I first purchased the Orbi, it was fantastic and I was very pleased with it.  Then, the firmware update(s), which I won't go into because they're well documented in this forum.  I finally found one that works - Eero.  Plugged it in, set up the (TRUE) mesh network in a matter of about seven minutes, and it has been smooth sailing ever since.  The Orbi router and satellites are in the basement, awaiting something that I hear on this forum that will actually fix things - not holding my breath on that.  When a functional update happens, I'll flash it and then sell it on E-Bay.  I'm not about to sell them in the conditiion that they're in right now.  But for those of you looking for a solution to your WiFi woes - the Eero did it for me.

Message 761 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

how do the speeds comapre with orbi? I tried the velop and got between 100Mbps - 200Mbps up/down less than with orbi

Message 762 of 810
dpdurst
Luminary

@cinek wrote:

how do the speeds comapre with orbi? I tried the velop and got between 100Mbps - 200Mbps up/down less than with orbi

I've always heard that the velop has been slower than Orbi, as a rule I have always found that Linksys products in general seem to be a tad bit slower than other makers routers

Message 763 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

I've also read that but I wasn't expecting such a big difference 

Message 764 of 810
jdpg2
Apprentice

So i am happy to report that with the current beta firmware my issues are gone.  I have waited 5 days before reporting just ot make sure i had no other gremlins. I have conducted 4 reboots and still have excelent throughput to all devices , wireless and wired, connected to both the main and satellite unit.

• My Orbi is in AP mode connected to an Untangled UTM router
  • I have a 300/15 Mbps internet connection and get on avg 240/10 Mbps on both satelite and base orbi units with QOS enabled on my UT router.
  • I have the guest network turned on (which btw is a VLAN internal to the Orbi)
  • I have 20+ devices connected  on avg.

The secret sauce for me was doing a full factory reset before (1.12) and after i flashed the router with the beta firmware (2.0) .  I suggest anyone having issues, open a ticket and get the level 2 rep to send you the beta firmware.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 765 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

thanks for letting us know. That does sound promising. Hopefully v2 will be out soon.

edit: what's the full version of the beta firmware you have? Is it 2.0.0.64?

Message 766 of 810
jdpg2
Apprentice

Message 767 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

thanks, that seems newer that what we've seen in the past 

Message 768 of 810

Sunday is automatic firmware upgrade day.  My router and two satellites were upgraded v1.12.0.18.  One of them is not showing in the webGUI as a satellite.  I have tried doing a factory reset and resyncing with no luck.

This product is starting to annoy me more and more.

Message 769 of 810
jdpg2
Apprentice

Did you just get your Orbi?  if not,  i am surpised they didnt update well before Sunday. 

I suggest you manually update the Satelite via its own web UI first , then do the main Orbi via its own webUI next, then resync if the sateleite doesnt find the main unit after a few minutes.

Message 770 of 810

I have had it for a couple months.  Have always downgraded as v1.12.0.18 has horrible performance.  I lose 50% in performance with it on my wireless devices.

Message 771 of 810
jdpg2
Apprentice

i would seriouly consider giving netgear a call and try the beta.  If not then i would telnet in and update the vram to prevent the FW updates after you roll back to  1.11.... 

I had similar issues with throughput with 1.12 but after a really clean reset (as stated in my prior post) and a hard reboot every sunday night at midnight (i have both devices pluged into smart outlets so its automated) , the only issue i was left with was my Samsung S8+ would always drop its connection.  The beta has sorted this and i have no issues thus far

Message 772 of 810
Bill9999
Initiate

Actually, I installed an eero (one gateway + two beacons) in my home after reading about all the latest firmware problems on this forum. I got coverage all over my house, but the very best I could hope for from the wireless beacons was 60% of the gateway speed (almost 140 Mbps, compared to the 230 Mbps for which I pay Comcast an arm and a leg). I also found that roaming with iOS devices was quite problematic; my 9.7" iPad Pro, in particular, tended to switch around in border regions and then just disconnect. Support was readily available and pleasant, but not especially helpful with the iOS issues.

I ended up returning the eero and purchasing an Orbi RBK50 with my fingers crossed. To my surprise, it is working well with the 1.12.0.18 firmware. I have only about 18 devices on my network, including a number of wired devices (connected to both both router and satellite) and a number of 2.4 GHz wireless HomeKit-connected devices, printer, Sonos in Boost mode, plus iPhones, iPads, Apple TV, etc. The router and satellite are only about 30 feet away in my current setup, with the router connecting to everything on the 2nd floor and the satellite connecting to everything on the first floor and in the basement. I get about 230 Mbps all over the house with devices that can connect on the 5 GHz band, which is twice the eero speed away from my cable modem (Surfboard SB6141) and router. I haven't had any roaming issues. I guess you just have to try both systems and see how they work in your environment.

Message 773 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Is anyone who is reporting success with the latest beta actually using the routing functions of their Orbi? 

It's seems madness to me to purchase a $500 Orbi kit and only use it as an access point when you could have acheived the same by adding a second, much cheaper, WiFi router to your existing setup. Especially those with internet connections which are unable to take advantage of Orbi's backhaul.

Message 774 of 810
n4cho
Apprentice

@scornwell wrote:

Is anyone who is reporting success with the latest beta actually using the routing functions of their Orbi? 

It's seems madness to me to purchase a $500 Orbi kit and only use it as an access point when you could have acheived the same by adding a second, much cheaper, WiFi router to your existing setup. Especially those with internet connections which are unable to take advantage of Orbi's backhaul.

I am using it in AP mode.  I installed 2.0.0.64 from the link that was posted and have seen significant improvements to my wireless speed.  When connected wirelessly to a sattelite my Ipad went from getting 58-62Mbps down to getting 220Mbps on my 300MB connection, consistantly.  I am also seeing less drops though the jury is still out if those are resolved completely.

I am still curious about a hardwired backhaul to the satelites which I thought would be available in this version.  I have not tested if it is at this time.

Message 775 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7