Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

RogerSC
Virtuoso

@scornwell wrote:

Is anyone who is reporting success with the latest beta actually using the routing functions of their Orbi? 

It's seems madness to me to purchase a $500 Orbi kit and only use it as an access point when you could have acheived the same by adding a second, much cheaper, WiFi router to your existing setup. Especially those with internet connections which are unable to take advantage of Orbi's backhaul.

Netgear just added a new extender that uses the Orbi backhaul as a model that should give similar results to the Orbi when used with a router with 3 radios. I've tried many AP's in the past, and without the extra radios and dedicated bandwidth of the Orbi, never had good enough results. On the other hand, the Orbi as an AP gives me full strength, full speed wireless all over my house. Had the new Netgear extender been available when I got the Orbi, I would have tried it despite not having a 3-radio router. Even with two radios in the router, the dedicated backhaul radio in the new extender would be helpful.

Anyways, I don't disagree that it's crazy, but it works so well *smile*...

Message 776 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

You don't buy an orbi for its routing capabilites that are minimal at best. You used a dedicated router and let the orbi do what it's best at, backhaul bandwidth and coverage
Message 777 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

Both are fair answers, but the target market for this device seems to be the non-technical, not people who are likely to set up a dedicated router. Though I guess they're the same people who will be quite happy plugging this into their ISPs router, so maybe I'm the odd one out here!

There's no denying Orbi has a fantastic backhaul when it's all working correctly. 

Message 778 of 810
Fila13us
Initiate

Hi, can someone tell me where I can get the beta? Thank you.
Message 779 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

you need to raise a support ticket and ask for it

Message 780 of 810
ukwildcat4life7
Aspirant

Can you tell me how to create a support ticket and ask for the beta firmware if I'm past my complimentary 90 day support?  thanks in advance......

Message 781 of 810
jdpg2
Apprentice

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

If you are beyond the 90 day you will need to purchase support.  I think its the Gearhead option.

Message 782 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

I'd like to know what magical routing capabilities you're looking for in a home router that can't be filled by the Orbi. I went from an R7000 running XWRT (and prior to that DD-WRT) to the Orbi and I've not missed any routing duties that the R7000 was doing.

Now if you're runnig a home lab or a very complex network then maybe but if you are, the majority of consumer hardware is probably not for you.

Using the Orbi as an AP seems like a huge waste of money.

Message 783 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

100% disagree, If it's a waste of money can you show me a cheaper AP that'll handle my gig up/down connection and cover the whole flat/house at the same time?

Message 784 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Handling a gigabit up/down on a LAN can be done by ANY AP so I don't see how that's relevant.

As for coverage, sure, grab yourself literally any mesh system from Google, Eero, TP-Link, etc and you'll be saving between $50-100. 

Message 785 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

ok let me rephrase, how can I get the max speed out of my wifi with google wifi or eero or linksys velop for that matter which I just returned due to it being 100Mbps-200Mbps up/down slower? and no, not every AP will handle a gig up/down. I tried many in the past on just a 300Mbps connection which failed to get above 200Mbps

Message 786 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Well let's take a step back then. Are you testing your speed being hardwired to the RBR, being connected wirelessly to the RBR, hardwired to a satellite, or connected wirelessly to the satellite?

Hardwired to the RBR I expect full gigabit up/down (or the closest consumer-grade approximation thereof).

Wireless to the RBR I expect somewhere around 60% of the max speed so figure ~520Mbps

Hardwired to the satellite I'd expect aroud 575Mbps

Wireless to the satellite I'd expect to look somewhat like a wireless connection to the RBR with an extra latency hop so around 520Mbps.

Now this is all assuming you're within line of sight and no other devices are talking at the same time.

I'd expect a Google WiFi or Eero to perform the same on the hardwired portion and at least similarly when conected to the main unit (the one connected to your WAN or LAN.)

Message 787 of 810
cinek
Apprentice

I'm talking about the wireless speed here

Message 788 of 810
st_shaw
Master

@tomsliwowski wrote:

I'd like to know what magical routing capabilities you're looking for in a home router that can't be filled by the Orbi. I went from an R7000 running XWRT (and prior to that DD-WRT) to the Orbi and I've not missed any routing duties that the R7000 was doing.

Now if you're runnig a home lab or a very complex network then maybe but if you are, the majority of consumer hardware is probably not for you.

Using the Orbi as an AP seems like a huge waste of money.

I use Orbi in AP mode, because I need a router with IPSEC site-to-site VPN capability and with L2TP remote access VPN capability.  Orbi has neither of those features.

Using Orbi in AP mode is not a waste of money at all. I use Orbi for it's single discriminating feature--the wireless backhaul--and that feature is available in AP mode. I'm using Orbi because I cannot easily run wired Ethernet.  If I could run wires I would use something else.

Message 789 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Right, your needs are almost certainly beyond the audience that the Orbi is aimed at. The people that I've personally interacted with needed a normal home router which had really good WiFi coverage. Hell, I bought it because I needed a stronger signal in an aluminum sunroom and ports for a couple of computers near it. 

Message 790 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

@cinek wrote:

I'm talking about the wireless speed here

Let's start with acknowledging that Orbi is towards the top part of most tests but accordin to smallnetbuilder, others aren't so bad:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33125-wi-fi-system-roundup?showall=&start=...

The 5GHz tests show relatively low variance and 2.4GHz are a bit more mixed. 

Message 791 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

Again, I'm using orbi for its strength, strong backhaul, wifi speed and coverage. Orbi is one of the fastest out there. Routing is not Orbi's strength, its meant for home networks so its not really much of a router (at least the functions are not exposed to the home user for that).

I use a sophos UTM box Which lets me do a lot more things including a lot more security than what an Orbi can do. Servers, etc.

Message 792 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

Nope, Orbi is faster than most AP's out there, thats why I'm using it as an AP only as well.

Message 793 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:

Again, I'm using orbi for its strength, strong backhaul, wifi speed and coverage. Orbi is one of the fastest out there. Routing is not Orbi's strength, its meant for home networks so its not really much of a router (at least the functions are not exposed to the home user for that).

I use a sophos UTM box Which lets me do a lot more things including a lot more security than what an Orbi can do. Servers, etc.

I'm really curious what special routing is needed. I'm not trying to be rude but I just don't see what real world needs would be. Like I know for business grade hardware the needs/capabilities are much much greater but for a normal house I honestly can't see what those would be.

Message 794 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

For me, intrusion prevention, antivirus at the gateway. I am a computer consultant so I'm more interested in network security than most, I suppose.

Message 795 of 810
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:

For me, intrusion prevention, antivirus at the gateway. I am a computer consultant so I'm more interested in network security than most, I suppose.

OK, that makes sense especially in your line of work.

Message 796 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Hmmm...Checked for new firmware, found it and flashed it. As a result, Orbi router and satellite have just been updated to v2.0.0.72...assume that this is the next official release after v1.12.

Doing fine so far, but hasn't been very long yet. Expecting it to be fine, since v2.0.0.64 was doing fine as well.

Time will tell *smile*. Just found this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-0-availability/m-p/1368730#M13446

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 797 of 810
tpgall
Guide

Nice try guys but a fail.  I upgraded to version 2 and within 2 hours everything was locked up.  No internet access or WiFi access.  Same as the previous versions.  Until you perfect the firmware, the system is garbage.  I have an expensive 6 month old paper weight.  Not a complex network.  One satellite and 22 devices connected to a Spectrum cable network thru a SB3400 modem.

It is obvious you have no clue as to what is wrong with these units.  They should be recalled.

I am going to post to Amazon and other boards the truth about Orbi.

Message 798 of 810
spinkick
Apprentice

Its perplexing how some people have 0 problems and others have total trainwrecks. There has to be something causing this. My system is flawless, and I feel for you guys with issues.

Message 799 of 810
jdpg2
Apprentice

@tpgall wrote:

Nice try guys but a fail.  I upgraded to version 2 and within 2 hours everything was locked up.  No internet access or WiFi access.  Same as the previous versions.  Until you perfect the firmware, the system is garbage.  I have an expensive 6 month old paper weight.  Not a complex network.  One satellite and 22 devices connected to a Spectrum cable network thru a SB3400 modem.

It is obvious you have no clue as to what is wrong with these units.  They should be recalled.

I am going to post to Amazon and other boards the truth about Orbi.

I can understand your frustration but have you tried a few basic things?

• Done a hard reset of both base and satellite - Use a paper clip and press the buttons on the back?
  • Tried your network with a few basic devices (PC/TV)? - have you considered you might have a device that is causing overly chatty and crashing  yoru network?
  • Reset your cable model before you restarted the Oribi system? - Maybe your cable company has a new flash of their own that isnt playing nice with the Orbi 

With this new FW there are very few people complaining which leads me to think its something ON your network or you have a bad Orbi and should do an RMA.

Message 800 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7