Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@scornwell wrote:

I'm just going to keep posting this until one of you actually answers.

If you can post on Amazon and put in a negative review, you will get a response really quickly from one or more Netgear support people.  I guess they pay more attention when it is on a site that sells thousands of their products.  I Sadly, most of their responses are "canned".  Still, I am making it my mission to post as many places as possible so people can be warned before they buy.  

Message 451 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@YabbadabbaDoooo I've got a call in with tech support. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with them two weeks ago, gathering before and after data. 

The lack of a response here just beggars belief. They're ignoring us, quite intentionally, while they amble about putting together a fix at a glacial pace. Whether it's arrogance or incompetence, I have no idea, either way it's pitiful.

The number of paid shills among the Amazon reviews is pretty alarming too.

Message 452 of 810
hsheppard
Initiate

This is scary. I have just forked out the money to buy the Orbi, but after reading this I am seriously considering cancelling the order.

Is there any indication of what is happening with the fix?

Message 453 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@hsheppard None. In a month the only thing we've heard from Netgear is that they are aware of the issues. No list of what they're working on, no ETA, and they're ignoring any attempts to get more information.

If you have the option, I'd recommend taking your Orbi back now and look at an alternative. Even if Netgear do manage to sort these issues out, who's to say it won't happen again with the next release.
Message 454 of 810
Atld
Initiate

I do have an online support ticket open and have already answered the questions but not optomistic to a quick resolution from the standpoint that one version of the FW works fine the other does not, just push back the old version or allow the option to not update to the newest version.  This is too bad as I really liked the week of solid performance with this set up, so shopping now for a similar system.

RBR50

RBS50(2)

Message 455 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

1.11.x was broken for many users.  1.12.x appears now to be broken for even more users- they're not heading in the right direction.

I believe they've lost control of the releases, and are now playing Whack-A-Mole trying to correct the issues, but cause more after each try.

They need to go back to 1.10.x or previous branch, and start from there.

Message 456 of 810
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@hsheppard wrote:

This is scary. I have just forked out the money to buy the Orbi, but after reading this I am seriously considering cancelling the order.

Is there any indication of what is happening with the fix?

I would cancel the order.  I had my chance to return mine but let it go because 1.11.0.20 had just come out and my system was running the way it was advertized.  

I have the RBK40 system (AC2200) and I believe pretty much everyone on this thread has the RBK50/53 system (AC3000).  They have pushed 1.12.0.20 to the RB40 (and 30) sytems with a long list of "fixes".  Here is a link to the release notes.  They are identical to the notes for 1.12.0.18, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  Also, the other day when I was reviewing the release notes, I could not find the download or notes for 1.12.0.18.  I swear it wasn't there for any device and now it is back and virtually identical to 1.12.0.20...wtf?

https://kb.netgear.com/000045832/RBR40-RBS40-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-20

I would assume something will be coming to you soon.  Whether it works or not seems to be a total crapshoot these days.  I had rolled back 1.12.0.18 to 1.11.0.20, since for my system, that FW was gold.  Eventually it auto updated to 1.12.0.20 and at first I was having the same issues again of connection drops, internet outage, slow speeds, etc..  I tried factory reset and rollback but it kept auto updating within a day and even with rollback it wasn't stabilizing again.  I had to do a clean, manual load of 1.12.0.20, turn off Beamforming, change channels a number of times, do several power off/on resets of the modem, router and satellite.  After many frustrating hours, somehow it seems to be generally stable now but not back to what it was on 1.11. 

Good luck to all.  I am going to just suck it up and have a friend who works at Cisco set me up a professional grade network with his employee discount.  I work for myself from home and each hour I spend screwing with the Orbi is an hour I can't bill a client.  Time is real money for me.  Anyone want to buy a slightly used RBR40/RBS40?

Message 457 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Each gap represents the Orbi RBK50 & two sats going nuts and rebooting for a few minutes.  During that period, the WAN is unreacable and devices can't connect to the WIFI.  1.12.0.18... 

Message 458 of 810
mkenny28
Apprentice

My Sprint S8 Plus received a firmware update this morning which appears to fix my disconnect issue it was having with this firmware. I will test throughout the day but if this fixes it then all my issues with this firmware are done and I am a happy camper. 

Message 459 of 810
Replevin
Star

@scornwell wrote:

@YabbadabbaDoooo I've got a call in with tech support. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with them two weeks ago, gathering before and after data. 

The lack of a response here just beggars belief. They're ignoring us, quite intentionally, while they amble about putting together a fix at a glacial pace. Whether it's arrogance or incompetence, I have no idea, either way it's pitiful.

The number of paid shills among the Amazon reviews is pretty alarming too.

I mean, this thread has been "solved" almost from the day it was opened.  The whole thing is absolutely amazing!!!

Message 460 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It is anything but solved... 1.12.0.18 and 1.11.x are very badly broken.

Message 461 of 810
rhester72
Virtuoso

@TXGunLover wrote:

Each gap represents the Orbi RBK50 & two sats going nuts and rebooting for a few minutes.  During that period, the WAN is unreacable and devices can't connect to the WIFI.  1.12.0.18... 

What's the target IP for your ping test?  I'd like to do the same.

Rodney

Message 462 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Rodney,

It's my public IP address.

Message 463 of 810
rhester72
Virtuoso

@TXGunLover wrote:

Rodney,

It's my public IP address.

Does it sit on your network?  i.e. are you accessing it via NAT loopback or is it being tested from outside your local network?  (I just set one up to test www.google.com over IPv4 and IPv6.)

Rodney

Message 464 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It sits outside my network...

https://www.dslreports.com/pingtest

Message 465 of 810
RogerSC
Virtuoso

What I've gathered from reading this thread and my own experience is that v1.11 is broken for some, and v1.12 is broken for others. For me, v1.11 and v1.12 are both fine in router mode, but v1.11 is broken in AP mode. V1.12 is working well for me in AP mode, aside from the functionality that Netgear has removed (like disabling 2.4GHz. wireless and being able to disable auto-update for the firmware if needed). This makes it virtually impossible to go back to a previous version and have a stable router, since the Orbi will just auto-update itself for most people. 

So a situation has been created where if the latest firmware doesn't work for you, then you're pretty much out of business. It would be helpful if Netgear would give out some useful information like what domains to block to prevent the Orbi from finding new firmware on it's own, and settings (using telnet) that will prevent the firmware from auto-updating. But to this point, they've avoided giving out any work-arounds, as far as I've seen.

The time has passed for Netgear to expect it's customers to just wait for the next firmware. It's time for Netgear to give out the information needed for users to work around these problems. While this isn't a Netgear support forum, it's a user peer-to-peer forum, Netgear clearly monitors this forum, and needs to help it's users. If they don't feel that they should help their users just because they need help, then they should help because having all these public postings can't be good for Netgear's business. If I had read this thread before getting an Orbi, I'm pretty sure I would have found a different solution for my router needs. This has gone on way too long.

Message 466 of 810
IDGuy42
Guide

I'm using the RBK50 system, V1.12.0.18 in router mode and have constant disconnects from multiple devices on my network.  I've had to hardwire in some primary devices to get some stability.  I wasn't able to get my iPhone to get an internet connection for most of the day yesterday, turning on/off wifi, rebooting, etc, even though it showed as connected to wifi.  Android phones have slow speeds and then often drop internet connections and sometimes regains it at the same location after some time.  Google Home constantly disconnects and doesn't recover requiring a reboot.  The list goes on.

I tried downgrading to the previous version and ended up having to spend two hours on support to reset my Orbi system since satellites wouldn't stay connected.  I personally don't care about the features which were removed in the latest version, I just want/need a stable wifi connection for my devices.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 467 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@IDGuy42 wrote:

I personally don't care about the features which were removed in the latest version, I just want/need a stable wifi connection for my devices.

I think we all agree this is priority #1.

Message 468 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

I'm just going to keep posting this until one of you actually answers.

@DarrenM or @ChristineT
I think the general consensus here is that we don't feel like we're being listened to and the response is totally inadequate, so who can we escalate this to?

@DarrenM We know you're there mate, how about you show your customers some basic courtesy and respond?

Message 469 of 810
Pichontech
Tutor

How hard is to get an update with the things they are working to fix? Orbi (when working) is by far the best system out there and you are ruining the product with lack of response. I got the EERO system (2nd gen) after getting sick of the disconnects and it is so much slower and has issues changing from beacons ... Still was connected all the time though. I'm going to give Orbi one last chance on the next firmware.... GET US AN ETA on next update and block the stupid auto update feature.
Message 470 of 810
Retired_Member
Not applicable

People have threatened legal action, like most companies, once that is done, Darren can't make comments related to anything other than specific issues and cannot acknowledge the overall issue.  It's policy, not deliberate.

Message 471 of 810
bwherry
Star

Like many other folks, as soon as the 1.12.0.18 firmware got auto-updated onto my Orbi system, my satellite stopped syncing with the router. It would show up in the list of attached devices, but not in the list of satellites. I even went so far as to go to local retailer and purchase a new Orbi RBK50 system to use in the meantime, and sure enough, the satellite stopped syncing on that (brand new) system after a few days. Very bad.

After doing the reset-button-and-setup dance on my original router and satellite I downgraded both of their firmware to 1.9.1.12 - and my satellite stayed connected! I even used telnet to turn off auto updates. ...yet somehow this morning my satellite stopped syncing with the router! The 1.12.0.18 firmware came back! Maybe I didn't set _all_ the required don't-auto-update parameters. Ugh.

Nothing new to report - just wanted to vent. The Orbi is a great system when it's working - it's just _so_ determined to sabotage itself!

Brian

Message 472 of 810
dazzywazzy
Star

I just purchased the Orbi RBK50 and found these forums.

Before setting everything up, I downgraded the firmware on both router and satellite.

I then used https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5 to stop the auto update from happening.

Everything is runnning fine for me. My auto update settings were slightly different than the post above and after commiting the NVRAM and performing a reboot, one of the settings when back to enabled. I then set it to disabled for a 2nd time, commited the NVRAM and rebooted 10+ times and it's been running perfect for a few nights now.

Message 473 of 810
bwherry
Star

Thanks dazzywazzy, that's good to know. I'll have to re-check the NVRAM settings after doing some reboots to make sure the auto-update stays off.

Message 474 of 810
scornwell
Apprentice

@Retired_Member Darren could respond if he wanted to. I'm sure there are some limits, but if he's unable to even say what they're working on, if they're making progress, or if they'll add a feature to disable auto-updates, then his role here is pretty meaningless.

At the end of the day, no one is saying anything. The mods here are refusing to comment or even provide a means of escalation. Support have no idea, all they can do is gather data. We're left with $500 routers which require more ongoing maintenance than a $500 car. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel screwed by Netgear. It's time to see how far we can push this in public, Amazon reviews, Reddit, Twitter, anywhere people will listen, because netgear sure as hell aren't. 

Message 475 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7