Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 Discussion

@tpgall wrote:

Nice try guys but a fail.  I upgraded to version 2 and within 2 hours everything was locked up.  No internet access or WiFi access.  Same as the previous versions.  Until you perfect the firmware, the system is garbage.  I have an expensive 6 month old paper weight.  Not a complex network.  One satellite and 22 devices connected to a Spectrum cable network thru a SB3400 modem.

It is obvious you have no clue as to what is wrong with these units.  They should be recalled.

I am going to post to Amazon and other boards the truth about Orbi.

I'm sorry to hear it's not working for you but the Orbi has 2,387 reviews with an average of 4 and a half stars out of 5 so your 1 negative review isn't going to do much if anything. 

Also, "the truth about Orbi"? The truth is that the majority of people experience no issues but there are always outliers. Company forums are overwhelmingly occupied by the outliers that have had a bad experience with a hadful of us that have had little to no issues. 

Message 801 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

@tomsliwowski wrote:

@cinek wrote:

I'm talking about the wireless speed here

Let's start with acknowledging that Orbi is towards the top part of most tests but accordin to smallnetbuilder, others aren't so bad:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33125-wi-fi-system-roundup?showall=&start=...

The 5GHz tests show relatively low variance and 2.4GHz are a bit more mixed. 

The review is for the RBK40/RBK30, not the higher end RBK50 kit.

Message 802 of 810
4redstars
Guide

I have to say the new firmware made a difference. So much so that I didn't even realize it happened and just didn't notice things got a lot more stable in my house.

Good job! So far. 

Message 803 of 810
madbrain
Luminary

@nxc wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

@MarkC1024 wrote:

Curious if you've tried to isolate the reboot behavior by only bringing up the router and not the satellites?  Same situation connecting through the isolated router?

My core issue is ethernet to internet throughput from the router, satellites don't come into play. That said, yes I've tested with no satellites and the issues still manifest after a reboot. 

I am firmly of the opinion that most, if not all, folks are in fact affected by speed issues, but that most people also don't have an internet connection fast enough to expose the issues. If you're paying for anything less than 100Mbps down you are much less likely to notice problems related to speed. Those of us fortunate to have access to affordable Gigabit service are naturally going to be more susceptible to problems and noticing when they're happening.

Orbi speed is not just about Internet. I use Orbi to do local backups between machines . Server is wired, clients are wireless. It can be hundreds of GB transferred per week over Orbi.

Message 804 of 810
tpgall
Guide

I tried disabling beamforming, MU-MIMO, and fast roaming and the system has been up over 18 hours without locking up.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Message 805 of 810
cohoman
Star

I tried the latest update (V2.0.0.72) and I'm still having internet connection drops with some of my devices. I tried erasing the nvram, installing the updates on both the router and two sattelites, rebooting the routers and cable modem, etc. I'm just tired of messing with the Orbi Router and having connection issues, so I'm boxing it up and taking it all back to Costco for a refund. Thanks to everyone here who've spend the time to offer suggestions and provided their feedback. Good Luck!

Message 806 of 810
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you have not yet tried turning off UPnP in advanced settings, maybe you could try that - it did the trick for me.

Message 807 of 810

Good luck everyone with your Orbi System.  I am returning my tomorrow to CostCo.  I put a Ubiquinti System, business system, and it works great.

George

Message 808 of 810
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Tigerman4LSU wrote:

Good luck everyone with your Orbi System.  I am returning my tomorrow to CostCo.  I put a Ubiquinti System, business system, and it works great.

George

Cannot fault you for that. Stop by and let us know how the ubiquiti is?

On the other hand, my Orbi is still performing flawlessly after the 2.0 firmware. I have had a lot of routers and not one has been as stable as this Orbi.

Message 809 of 810
cohoman
Star

@Tigerman4LSU wrote:

George

I also returned my Orbi system to Costco for a refund (thankful for their great return policy). I was just tired of all the dropped internet connections, slow speeds, etc. I decided to go back to a single traditional router system, so I bought the Netgear Nighthawk AC3000 R7900P WiFi Router from Costco. I was a bit hesitate to buying another Netgear router, but I thought I'd take the chance since I could return it so easily for a full refund. This new router has been running for over a week now, and it seems to be working well. It's a tri-band system with a 2.4 GHz and two 5 GHz transmitters. I've noticed that my newer devices (e.g., my LG G6 Smartphone) can send and receive at the highest internet speeds (125 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up) anywhere in my house on the 5 GHz system (even at a few previous dead spots). The 2.4 GHz is downloading around half the max speed in my home because I have the 20/MHz Co-Existance feature turned on (to help with outside overlapping WiFi signals). But that's fine since I'm maintaining a consistent connection to the internet. So far, this single router is working out ok for my home (knock on wood)!

Message 810 of 810
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7