Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.12.0.18 bricked my RBK30 unit

Docmarky
Follower

Firmware V1.12.0.18 bricked my RBK30 unit

I saw the firmware update this morning. The RBK30 system has been running flawlessly since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

Clicked the Upgrade button. The system has never returned to life. No network. The main unit has simply got stuck with a perpetually flashing white ring. I reset the modem and went through the entire setup program again. Nothing. Just a flashing white ring. 

So I decided to do a factory reset. Paper clip in - NOTHING. repeated many times, can feel the click of the reset button, but no efect on either the green LED above the power button (i.e. no flashing orange to signify reset), and the white fashing ring on top was unchanged.

The satelite has lost all connection with the main unit. The main unit is simply bricked, produces no wifi signal.

What is the way to connect to the damaged unit via ethernet? Can I simply attach via ethernet switch or direct to Mac to reset /wipe it?

Message 1 of 19
jawilli312
Aspirant

Same symptoms here Smiley Mad

Not sure if it was the update but all was perfect until this morning.

Message 2 of 19
Vortigann
Initiate

Add me to the list of people who woke today to bricked router and satellites. Same symptoms - endless flashing white LED, same failed attempts to fix. Scarily, reset does nothing. 

I submitted a support ticket, hoping they’ll be able to help. Until then, I had to buy a new router (NOT Netgear)  to restore wifi for the family.  Needless to say, I am very very unhappy with the $500 I spent less than a month ago...

–Rob

Message 3 of 19
Gwilcox23
Initiate

Bricked. Unit led stays solid white...in the middle of streaming video and the router disconnects and nothing...should I thank you for trashing my unit? Shall I pay you to troubleshoot with me for hours to no resolve? Fix your pos you bastards! Not cool. Worked great for months. Going to leave bad reviews everywhere. Blah...glad ios issues got resolved, what about us people who never had ios in the first place?
Message 4 of 19
jawilli312
Aspirant

I received this email response on my (our) issue. I have not tried it because I replaced my unit prior. Posting here because IMO the reset procedures are counter intuitive (if not convoluted), meaning they may not actually be "bricked". Hope this helps.

==========================================================

For now, let's try to reset the router. Here are the steps to reset the router. 
Note: The router should be powered on while doing the reset. 

a. Please push the reset button (using a small pin or paper clip) at the back of the router and release after 30 seconds. 
b. Unplug the power adapter for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. 

**This will make all the settings of the router back to default. 

If the router will continue to show pulsing white for the ring LED, please do a shock reset. To perform shock reset, push and hold the reset button for one and a half minute. For the first 30 seconds, please leave it on. For the next 30, you have to unplug it. For the last 30, please plug it back in. 

If the issue still persist, please disconnect the Orbi from your modem. Once done, we will ping the Orbi using your computer. Please follow the steps below: 

- Connect the laptop via Ethernet cable to the Orbi router's LAN port and turn off the WiFi. 
- Open Network and Sharing Center. 
- Go to change adapter settings. 
- Right-click local area connection or Ethernet and click properties. 
- Highlight IPv4 and click Properties button. 
- Select Use the following IP address and enter the following information. 
* IP address: 192.168.1.100 
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 
* Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 
- Click Ok. 
- Open command prompt in your computer and type the word "ping 192.168.1.1" without the quotation marks. 

Message 5 of 19
taschmidt
Tutor

Thanks for posting this.  I had this issue and was unable to get the reset procedures to work.  Speaking with their "tech support" was no help (they barely knew what I was talking about when mentioning things like hard reset, TFTP, etc).  But I have a replacement due tomorrow and I'm a little nervous that the same firmware update is going to brick this new one.

Message 6 of 19
Gwilcox23
Initiate

Ok fresh eyes this morning. Plugged router into my PC and it automatically took me though the setup process. Everything is fine, except the sattelite is connected but will not stop flashing white. Regardless don't force your happy customer a firmware update that causes all these issues. You stink worse then my morning movement!
Message 7 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

Same problem here. Tried everything possible. Taking it back to bestbuy.
Message 8 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

Message 9 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You can try to reflash the firmware via TFTP which I linked how to do this. Also try a factory reset and if neither of those work you will have to contact support.

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 10 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

Thanks Darren,
I tried all those things except the TFTP(which I don't know what that is). Nothing works, not even reset. Can't reach customer support. Hoping there's a better product out there.
Message 11 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

Add me to the list. Exact timing. Exact same experience. I cannot believe this is how Netgear deals with (not deals) with a problem. No more Netgear in this house.
-Chauncy
Message 12 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

This is the most unacceptable way for Netgear to deal with their faulty system. If you're out there Nethear, who I cannot reach, who I paid $500 to for 2 weeks of good internet, take notes.... getting refund and NOT buying NETGEAR again!
Message 13 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

This is a known issues and we are working to fix it. Right now please contact support.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 14 of 19
taschmidt
Tutor

Sorry, Netgear, too little too late. Eero here I come!
Message 15 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

Bye bye netgear, hello Linksys Velop.
Message 16 of 19
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Contact support.  They'll help you out.  

Orbi Product Team. 

Message 17 of 19
taschmidt
Tutor

Tried that.  Support's response?  Basically, "uhh... try unplugging it and plugging it back in."

Message 18 of 19
Chauncy
Guide

Could not reach "suport". The fact that support sends us to a community forum for supoort says it all. 

Thought I had a winnner product with the Orbi(for 3 weeks). Product is only as good as it's customer support. Lesson learned: NO MORE NETGEAR.

@amitrele wrote:

Contact support.  They'll help you out.  

Orbi Product Team. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7