Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V1.8.0.6 iOS disconnections anyone?

jmbarbs
Apprentice

Firmware V1.8.0.6 iOS disconnections anyone?

Have updated and so far haven't had any iOS disconnections. Am hesitant to start celebrating until I have been using this update for longer, however my iPad Pro which repeatedly disconnected on older firmware versions hasn't dropped since loading v1.8.0.6.

Am hoping others can confirm if this issue has been fixed for them?. I appreciate that netgear hasn't announced exactly what the bug fixes are so they may not even include fixes for iOS dropouts, but so far my system now seems more stable

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 19
atothek
Tutor

Mine appears to be fixed on 1.8.0.6.  Version 1.5.0.12 and the one release prior were horrible. 

My test case:  30 minutes in exact same spot with exact same iPhone and streaming audio app (local NPR station app) set to only use Wifi not Cellular.

This morning I was on 1.5.0.12 and had about 5 disconnects in 30 minutes (device would switch to LTE and disconnect streaming).

Just now on 1.8.0.6 I streamed 30 minutes without issue.

I did also revert my change to the 2.4Ghz Wireless Radio from 50% Transmit Power back to 100% Transmit Power after the firmware upgrade to 1.8.0.6.  I also double checked that QOS both WMM boxes were checked.  I believe I had unchecked those at some point in an attempt to resolve iOS disconnects.  (Neither the transmit power or the QOS change did much for me--disconnects stil persisted on 1.5.0.12)

Hope it's not a fluke, but FINALLY this is working acceptably for me.  I've called support and been monitoring these forums hoping this would be resolved soon or I was going to return the product to Costco.  Glad it's working now because I really want to like this product.  The hardware does seem superior to all the competitors in the space.

Message 2 of 19
cue003
Apprentice

This firmware updates seems promising. Maybe I can finally get off the fence and buy. I will monitor the responses to this firmware release a little longer.
Message 3 of 19
thebishop
Apprentice

I just installed 1.8.0.6, unfortunately have reproduced a coupe of disconnects already, so still not there yet for me at least. Would be good to hear from other datapoints.

Message 4 of 19
atothek
Tutor

Forgot to add. I'm on iPhone SE running iOS 10.2.1
Message 5 of 19
boli1021
Initiate

DOes this new release fix or improve wifi speed inconsistency issue? I am having big swing in Wi-Fi speed. It could drop from 120 to 20 within minutes.

Message 6 of 19
st_shaw
Master

@boli1021 wrote:

DOes this new release fix or improve wifi speed inconsistency issue? I am having big swing in Wi-Fi speed. It could drop from 120 to 20 within minutes.

That should not happen normally.  However, be aware that these drops can happen if you have any WiFi analysis software open on your computer, or if you open the WiFi properties, etc.  I chased that non-problem for a while.

Message 7 of 19
boli1021
Initiate

Thanks for the tip. I have no such software installed on any of my devices. It just randomly happens.
Message 8 of 19
bsholbrook
Apprentice

iOS is solid here, if they can fix beamforming I think we will have a solid setup.

Message 9 of 19
superben79
Apprentice

i have multipe devices that were connecting before now they cannot connect after the fw update (which did it by itself). 

Message 10 of 19
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@superben79Try going into your device's Wi-Fi configuration settings and tell your device to forget your Wi-Fi network, then scan for networks and try re-connecting, that might do it for you.

Message 11 of 19
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Disconnecting again on iOS devices. Also now having random satellite drops from the main router then seems to be reconnecting back after a minute. Very frustrating this satellite drop has only just started didn't happen immediately after upgrading to v1.8.0.6.

i know this product has many potential benefits and some bugs are always to be expected but I really can't understand why it's taking Netgear so long to sort these issues out properly.

Message 12 of 19
TomMac
Guru

Running a debug version v1.8.0.12 for a week or two now...( v .6 was released a week+ after getting the debug version ) after submitting 2 sets of logs a number af days ago , I turned off Beamforming and MI-MIMO

Can say the ipad  g3  dropping is almost completely gone ... use to be a couple times in 15 mins or more, now maybe 1x per hour and it is less in duration so streaming just stutters a bit , not dropping for 15 sec

Also have notice since turning off above settings,  that the android S7 ( battery ) with wifi on is dropping only 3% per night in standby where it was dropping up to 40%

IMO, it looks like a win and maybe the issue is comming to an end

Message 13 of 19
Yld2rob
Luminary

No issues at all with the new firmware in AP mode and using the FIos router. MU-MIMO is on, all others at default

Message 14 of 19
fstockel
Star

My router is still loosing WAN connection several times a day. It has been for several fw releases now (got a support case on it). The router looses IP/DNS from isp and gaines it again after some time. I have provided support with debug logs and all sorts of info.

Plugging in alternative hw/router and putting Orbi in AP mode seems to be a workaround (by reading other peoples findings). But I can't test it as the Orbi kit is my only router and It would still be a workaround rather than a solution.

I ran some tests and plugged in a computer directly to the WAN port and reloaded a webpage for a day. No disconnects /WAN drop during the tests.

Message 15 of 19
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Have turned off 2.4ghz signal completely. I have 2 nest external cameras that needed 2.4ghz signal so i have used a old Airport Express and set up a new network on that using 2.4ghz and connected via ethernet into Orbi satelite. This has now given me the 2.4ghz needed for the 2 nest cam devices and means i no longer get discconected on my ios devices on the 5ghz orbi network. 

Shouldnt have to do this to get a stable network but since i have setup like this, i havent had any disconnections.

Message 16 of 19
Eluder
Star

My iPhone 7 Plus running 10.3 Beta 7 has had no issues disconnecting while on 1.8.0.6, mind you I have not had this unit for even 2 weeks yet, so not a lot of time on older firmwares.

One of my Google Home's does seem to drop off after a few days, and that is driving me nuts. Trying to figure out if it's the Orbi or the Home (don't recall it doing that on the nighthawk X6 that I was using before Orbi).

Message 17 of 19
atothek
Tutor

Still having disconnects and periodic high ping times on iOS 

Message 18 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Atothek

Have you tried to lower the power level of the 2.4ghz in the Advanced wireless settings some people have said this has helped with IOS issues.

DarrenM

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7