Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware V2.1.1.16 auto update

morrisseysb
Apprentice

Yeah the new thing in the environment is the firmware.  Mine has worked fine with each update....until this one.

Message 26 of 59
kmichalec
Apprentice

@aaz wrote:

@kmichalec wrote:

aaz wrote: 

I am not blaming anyone - where have I said it's your fault? I am trying to point to another way of solving this. It seems more like you are just saying that you are helpless in solving this and just want to heap blame on netgear (though they do deserve it since never have I seen envirnomental factors that are not power related before reboot a router)

Except for the part where you said it wasn’t Netgear or their FW, but our systems (whigh were working fine before the update with no changes.) Remember this?

@aaz wrote:
“Most certaily it has nothing to do which version of firmware you are on.
As someone else here mentioned - it's most likely something new to your environment.“

ahem... reading comprehension.... take a refresher.

Don’t need one. You can back pedal all you want. We all knew what you were saying. Hence post 17 and 26 in this thread. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 27 of 59

Same here.  Finally got tired of restarting these things 5x+/day and rolled back to 1.12.0.18 this evening, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that keeps things stable until Netgear can sort out the dearth of issues introduced in the 2.x firmwares.  It's incredibly disappointing to drop this much cash on a product only to have its vendor trash it with pre-alpha firmware updates.

Message 28 of 59
shadowdoc
Tutor

My Orbi used to be fantastic before the firmware upgrades. Have bounced around on different versions, all the way back to 1.x.x.x. Started having connection problems yesterday and it looks like I was autoupdated to 2.0.0.74. My family jokes that I have 1 job...maintain the WiFi...none of us are pleased. Netgear needs to fix this problem ASAP!

Message 29 of 59
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Then stop upgrading the damn firmware and breaking everyone's **bleep**!
Message 30 of 59
atiq332
Star

Re: Firmware V2.1.1.16

Known issues please forward these to ORBI TECHNICAL.

1.....some time orbi satellite shows connected BUT non of devices are on showing on satellite all are showing connected with router.

2....auto reboot of satellite. and some time its show blue solid or flashinng light.

3....some time devices are connected but not on system

4...reboot and change ip address and if ip adress set to 192.168.1.250 will show devices on satellite and  router as well... but its change automatic to 192.168.1.3 and so on and problem start.

Message 31 of 59
ratickle
Apprentice

@JustMakeItWork wrote:
Then stop upgrading the damn firmware and breaking everyone's **bleep**!

The problem is, the firmware updates all by itself.  (It's an advanced feature they tell us.) To stop that from happening requires the use of Telnet.  Some people may not be comfortable using Telnet to modify their router settings.

Netgear did call a truce during the holiday and promised not to send us any more router bombs during the holidays.  Nice of them don't you think.

Message 32 of 59
jvaudio
Tutor

Hello,

I have had a few disconnect issues, but have been more fortunate than others in that regard - but I am glad you are still investigating those issues.

One issue that I would like investigated is the backhaul speed between the RBK50 and the RBS50's.  When I purchased my Orbi setup (one RBK50 and two RBS50's), I was getting transfer speeds of 100MB/s or more between my PC and my Synology.  After I updated the firmware (on the third day - to 2.0.0.74(?)), the speeds have been abysmal. I am lucky to get 5MB/s.  The connection is good between the satellite and router. They are 23 feet away from each other. 

I have tried everything other users have recommended in these forums (turning on/of beamforming, MU-MIMO, fast roaming, daisy-chain topology) to no avail. 

I hope that this is being investigated by the team at Netgear.

Thank you

Message 33 of 59
kmichalec
Apprentice

@jvaudio wrote:

Hello,

I have had a few disconnect issues, but have been more fortunate than others in that regard - but I am glad you are still investigating those issues.

One issue that I would like investigated is the backhaul speed between the RBK50 and the RBS50's.  When I purchased my Orbi setup (one RBK50 and two RBS50's), I was getting transfer speeds of 100MB/s or more between my PC and my Synology.  After I updated the firmware (on the third day - to 2.0.0.74(?)), the speeds have been abysmal. I am lucky to get 5MB/s.  The connection is good between the satellite and router. They are 23 feet away from each other. 

I have tried everything other users have recommended in these forums (turning on/of beamforming, MU-MIMO, fast roaming, daisy-chain topology) to no avail. 

I hope that this is being investigated by the team at Netgear.

Thank you

Can you tell which units your PC and your Synology are connected to? What does your setup look like? Are you daisy chaining (R -> S1 -> S2) or wagon wheeling (S1 <- R -> S2) the satellites to the router? Can you turn off the satellites and hook up both devices to the router, and does the connection speed return to normal?

Message 34 of 59
rhester72
Virtuoso

Well, apparently it hasn't been removed yet - mine auto-updated at 1:47AM this morning.

Message 35 of 59
JMU1998
Luminary

@rhester72 I thought they were going to stop auto push until Firmware was corrected and fixed before re-release or new version

Message 36 of 59
rhester72
Virtuoso

@JMU1998 wrote:

@rhester72 I thought they were going to stop auto push until Firmware was corrected and fixed before re-release or new version

Yeah, me too.  😞

Message 37 of 59
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

@ratickle wrote:

Netgear did call a truce during the holiday and promised not to send us any more router bombs during the holidays.  Nice of them don't you think.

Indeed, because it seems that I am constantly at war with them to keep my network working properly.

Message 38 of 59
atiq332
Star

i am with netgear more than 8 years and almost used all wifi router including R9000 , but i am very satisfied with orbi rbk50, just need proper firmare , facing lot of problem. rebooting, connected devices, blue light shows, etc. but very strange i rang last night after 10 minutes here and there they link me to the proper operator. i was on hold aprx 50 minute, and than i disconnect my line, i assume they will call me back , i gave my number .but first time they not bother to call. so its mean they are facing these orbi problem constantly. shame

Message 39 of 59

Just for the benefit of anyone who's following along...  After rolling back from 2.1.1.16 to 1.12.0.18, I continued to deal with WAN connection issues.  After the first dropout the next morning after the rollback to 1.12, I rolled back again to 1.11.0.20.  I've been running that firmware without any issues for almost a week now.  I had a dropped WAN connection this morning, but given the stability I've seen over the last several days, I'm almost willing to chalk that one up to my ISP (though I'll be keeping an eye on it).  The only drawback I've seen to the older firmware (less being vulnerable to KRACK and probably some other security vulnerabilities that I haven't glossed over any release notes for) is that my iPhone 7+ doesn't seem to work as well at distance as it did with the 2.x firmwares.  Given the stability I've gotten back, I'm willing to deal with that for the time being.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 40 of 59
Mabashi
Tutor

I've been running 1.11.0.20 for the past week or so and it was working great but it started auto updating to 2.0.0.74. Every time I tried to downgrade the firmware, it would immediately update it again. I even tried the telnet method of disabling the auto updates but it would still update almost instantly after loading it with the older firmware.

Anyone else noticing this issue?
Message 41 of 59

I haven't.  After I rolled back to 1.12, I disabled all the auto* fields using telnet.  So far, so good.

Message 42 of 59
sfsdfd
Star

Another frustrated Obi user here.

I've been using RBK53 for almost exactly a year, and it's been generally stable... until about a week and a half ago.

First, I started receiving a lot of reports in the daily Orbi about blocked connection requests due to "incorrect WiFi security" or some such thing. The reports turned into a flood, and I discovered that they were coming from my own devices. Eventually, I discovered that the Orbi base station had spontaneously changed my PSK - instead of being a collection of numbers, letters, and a dollar-sign, the base station had spontaneously stripped out everything but the letters. Obviously, my wireless devices were still using the complete password, so they couldn't connect.

Second, I spent the better part of a day reconfiguring all of my devices to use a different WiFi password. During this process, I encountered a large number of problems: device requests to join the network (using the updated password) were occasionally rejected; or the requests timed out; or the devices joined the network, but were disconnected within a brief period. Some functionality just became completely unavailable.

Third, I discovered what everyone else has reported: all of my devices suddenly started connecting *only* to my base unit, and none to the satellites. Even if the base unit was 150 feet away on a different floor, and a satellite was ten feet away and within line-of-sight. Obviously, this created major connectivity issues with remote devices.

I just spent time rolling back all three units to 2.0.0.74. So far, everything's stable: all of my devices are connected to the closest unit, and I've got solid connectivity to the most distant devices via the mesh.

As for aaz's comments: System runs 2.0.0.74, everything's fine. System updates to 2.1.1.16, major problems. System gets rolled back to 2.0.0.74, everything's fine again. Nothing else changed with my "environment" in the interim. If you don't think that is a firmware issue, then I don't know what to tell you.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 43 of 59
wase4711
Luminary

the thing is, alot of people had the same issues on the 2.0.074 firmware, and things either stayed the same of got worse when the 2.1.1.16 update bomb dropped.

I really want this thing to work, as when it does, the speeds are great, but, if it isnt stable, it doesn't matter what kind of speeds you get..

Day 3 on my Amplifi HD setup, without a single drop or glitch; the only "issue" for me with Amplify is slightly slower(250mb vs 300mb) download speeds for me, bu t no disconnects, and every device(between 25 and 35 of them) on the network shows up correctly, with its proper name and MAC address

Message 44 of 59
mumbles76
Star

Same here. It was working well up until a week or two ago when i noticed the magenta lights on both of my satellites. I did everything in the world to get them synced again and nothing would work. Including factory resets.

I finally downgraded both my RBR50 and RBS50 to 2.0.0.74, nothing will connect to the RBS's, they only connect to the RBR. Total junk this stuff is. Who is in charge of testing this **bleep** over there? Is this due to some outsourced team with ZERO experience with a public product in production?

Everyone from product managers to QA staff should be ashamed of themselves for putting this stuff out there. 

I went in with Telnet and disabled the auto-upgrade just to remain stable. But my two satellites are still useless until we get a better firmware.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 45 of 59
mumbles76
Star

Oh one thing - i did happen to notice that i could get them reconnected if i had them like 8ft apart with the 2.1.1.16 firmware. But when i put them in their previously working position in the house, they wouldn't sync. FWIW.

Message 46 of 59
atiq332
Star

Well i am not happy with both new firm ..v2.1.16 and prvs. i remmeber when i bought last month its came with .74 firmware, and i was so happy my all devices all arnd showing 300mbps which i recvd by my company. so WHY ? SHOULD I DOWNGRADE TO 74?, i paid £350 for these. i rang netgear and expalin all... they create RMA. and now waiting to come and prob its comes with .74 firm... they should understand our frustration

Message 47 of 59
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a  beta for 2.1.2 that has fixes for many issues with 2.1.1 you can find it here 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/m-p/1476960#M19962

DarrenM

Message 48 of 59
masonworld
Apprentice

@DarrenM wrote:

We are aware of the issues and working on fixes I have no ETA on the next firmware release past .16.

DarrenM

Hey @DarrenM - Happy New Year.

I know you probably can't commit to a release schedule, but I am curious to hear if your engineering team has been able to replicate any of the issues reported here (or if there is something that we can do to help). 

EDIT:  I see the beta release here now.  Thanks!  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/m-p/1476960#M19962

M

Message 49 of 59
gsavage
Guide

My system auto-updated to 2.1.1.16 in the wee hours of 12/27, when I was on vacation. The satellites immediately disconnected, taking down my security cameras and other household infrastructure.

WiFi is now unstable. The router truncates my password after the first character ("$") and shuts down WiFi entirely when rebooted.

Bringing satellites into same room for troubleshooting and I can reconnect one but not the other.  The one connected satellite disconnects every few hours.  

I manually rolled back to 2.0.0.74. This corrected the password flaw on the router, but now neither satellite will connect.  

The system was working flawlessly since August until this auto firmware update.  

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 50 of 59
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7