Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware V2.2.1.212 requested by Release Notes but not avalable

Budme
Aspirant

Firmware V2.2.1.212 requested by Release Notes but not avalable

Just purchased system witth RBS20 sats.  The installed firmware is 2.2.1.210.  I am going to use a wired backhaul so understand that the sataliites need to have the firmware update applied before the router.  The current firmware available is 2.3.5.26 however there is this note for that version on the netgear release notes for that version

If your firmware version is 2.2.1.210 or lower, you cannot update the firmware directly to v2.3 or higher. You must first update the firmware to v2.2.1.212 using the manual firmware update feature in the router web interface.  After updating the firmware to v2.2.1.212, your Orbi router reboots, and then you can update to higher versions.

The problem is that version 2.2.1.212 is not availbale from the list of prior firmware versions for this Orbi model.!  So i am stuck as i can not follow the stated instructions in the release notes, and hence have not upgraded the firmware yet or attached the wired  backhaul which I need to ASAP. Not off to a good start and I am very concerend already based on all fo the problems with firmware upgrades in this message board

Thanks for the help, Bud

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Budme
Aspirant

Re: Firmware V2.2.1.212 requested by Release Notes but not avalable

Update: Its working after firmware upgrade to 2.3.5.26 and with wired backhaul.  It didn't go as planned and orbi upgraded on its own, and I have a new question.

Last evening i tried to upgrade a satalite with 2.3.5.26 but that failed with a message that the file was incorrect.  I craeted a post to the forum with that detail but it seems like i failed to post it correctly as I dont see it

Today when i went back to this and try again i see that the firmware had automatically been upgraded to the current for the router and sats.  Note that the router was not connected to the internet during this time when it self upgraded. The back haul status was listed as poor for both sats.  (distances of my set up are listed below). 

I then placed a tp-link unmanaged swtitch out of the router and connected the wired backhauls to each sat from the switch.  Sat 1 backhaul status is now Good and the other is Config Sync.  I attempted to address that status by deressing the sync buttom on each sat however that status of one sat remains Config Sync.  Don't kow if that is a issue.  HMMM, just checking backhaul status and both sats are now "good".  I have attached wired ethernet to PC from both satalittes and those connections work also.  Next step ther is to attach unmanaged switches to each satalitte

The router is in a basement.  One satalite is about 35 feet away on the first floor.  without the wired backhaul the satalitte wireless connection to this sat  varied between fair and good.  The other satalite is in an detached office approx 120  feet from the router and approx 105 feet from sat 1 to sat 2.  home construction is log home with metal roof.  I live in a very rural area and clsoest neighbor residence is about 1000 feet away and live adjacent to 250,000 acres of unihabited federal land.  the wireless siganl outside the home is very good in terms of distance and have not reached it's limits yet, but end to end exceeds 200 feet in one of the dimensions.

I have not chanegd and settings of teh Orbi system, but if there is something I should do be happy to know.  I have until Sept 30 to evaluate it before the return window to Amazon closes for this item  I will be evaluating it closely.

I Have now switched over to sole use of the Orbi vs the Dlink I previously

Thanks again all for folks advice.

Bud      used.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

For RBS's the intermidiate v212 wasn't required, it was only for the RBR. You can directly update to v26.

Message 2 of 9
Budme
Aspirant

OK thank you, thats fine for the satalites, but doesn't help with doing the the firmware upgrade for the router which is at 2.2.1.210 and needs 2.2.1.212 before going to 2.3.5.26.  DOn't think its wise to upgrade the version for the sats without also doing the router, right ?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try upgrading to v28 file for the RBR first...

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, s**t.  Another black eye for Orbi's web team.  The Release Notes clearly say the RBR20 (router) must go to "212" temporarily, and you are entirely correct:  The Download page has no entry for 212 (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download)

Skips from 2.2.1.210 to 2.3.0.28.

I see two possibilities:  (1) the Release Notes are in error and you can upgrade to 2.3.0.28.  There is no "down side" for trying, because the manual firmware process will abort without harming the router if it simply cannot.  (2) Make a plea to the forum moderators to get Netgear to put the RBR 2.2.1.212 firmware on the support download page where it belongs.

@Blanca_O   (This is how we signal to a moderator that assistance is needed.  Cool, huh?)

Message 5 of 9
Auguste
Aspirant

The release notes for RBR20 / RBS20 Firmware Version 2.3.5.26 are incorrect. Looks like whoever wrote it copy / pasted part of the release notes from a different model (RBR50). 

If you look at the release notes of previous firmwares for the RBR20 / RBS20, they don't require v2.2.1.212 as an intermediate update.

v2.3.1.58 -> https://kb.netgear.com/000060936/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-58

v2.3.1.48 -> https://kb.netgear.com/000060870/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-1-48

v2.3.0.28 -> https://kb.netgear.com/000060607/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28

etc.

I purchased an Orbi RBK20W (bundle with RBR20 router and RBW30 wall satellite) back in June of this year and the RBR20 came with firmware 2.0.0.64. I updated from that firmware manually straight to v2.3.1.58 without any problems. 

Message 6 of 9
Budme
Aspirant

OK, thanks for the replies all.  I'll go ahead and try the firmware upgrades and report back either solved or open

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it went. Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 9
Budme
Aspirant

Update: Its working after firmware upgrade to 2.3.5.26 and with wired backhaul.  It didn't go as planned and orbi upgraded on its own, and I have a new question.

Last evening i tried to upgrade a satalite with 2.3.5.26 but that failed with a message that the file was incorrect.  I craeted a post to the forum with that detail but it seems like i failed to post it correctly as I dont see it

Today when i went back to this and try again i see that the firmware had automatically been upgraded to the current for the router and sats.  Note that the router was not connected to the internet during this time when it self upgraded. The back haul status was listed as poor for both sats.  (distances of my set up are listed below). 

I then placed a tp-link unmanaged swtitch out of the router and connected the wired backhauls to each sat from the switch.  Sat 1 backhaul status is now Good and the other is Config Sync.  I attempted to address that status by deressing the sync buttom on each sat however that status of one sat remains Config Sync.  Don't kow if that is a issue.  HMMM, just checking backhaul status and both sats are now "good".  I have attached wired ethernet to PC from both satalittes and those connections work also.  Next step ther is to attach unmanaged switches to each satalitte

The router is in a basement.  One satalite is about 35 feet away on the first floor.  without the wired backhaul the satalitte wireless connection to this sat  varied between fair and good.  The other satalite is in an detached office approx 120  feet from the router and approx 105 feet from sat 1 to sat 2.  home construction is log home with metal roof.  I live in a very rural area and clsoest neighbor residence is about 1000 feet away and live adjacent to 250,000 acres of unihabited federal land.  the wireless siganl outside the home is very good in terms of distance and have not reached it's limits yet, but end to end exceeds 200 feet in one of the dimensions.

I have not chanegd and settings of teh Orbi system, but if there is something I should do be happy to know.  I have until Sept 30 to evaluate it before the return window to Amazon closes for this item  I will be evaluating it closely.

I Have now switched over to sole use of the Orbi vs the Dlink I previously

Thanks again all for folks advice.

Bud      used.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7