Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Firmware V2.3.5.32

Sweetmo
Aspirant

Firmware V2.3.5.32

Today (3/21/20), I had an issue with my Orbi RBR40 connecting to internet, so I immediately went to the app and saw a note indicating new firmware was available.   After two attempts to leverage the app to update the firmware whic was v2.3.5.32,  I went to the computer to access the router instead.   I finally was able to get it updated and it's working fine.

When I try to go out and understand the firmware update and review release notes,   I can't actually find anything for V2.3.5.32 for the RBR40 .    I see a "hot fix" labeled V2.3.5.34 and a prior release V2.3.5.30 , but nothing for what I currently have.   Is there something I am missing?  Shouldn't I see the release notes for V2.3.5.32??   And why doesn't RBR40 show up as an option for model but RBS40 does??

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Firmware V2.3.5.32

@Sweetmo wrote:

Today (3/21/20), I had an issue with my Orbi RBR40 connecting to internet, so I immediately went to the app and saw a note indicating new firmware was available.   After two attempts to leverage the app to update the firmware whic was v2.3.5.32,  I went to the computer to access the router instead.   I finally was able to get it updated and it's working fine.

When I try to go out and understand the firmware update and review release notes,   I can't actually find anything for V2.3.5.32 for the RBR40 .    I see a "hot fix" labeled V2.3.5.34 and a prior release V2.3.5.30 , but nothing for what I currently have.   Is there something I am missing?  Shouldn't I see the release notes for V2.3.5.32??   And why doesn't RBR40 show up as an option for model but RBS40 does??

The real question is...was your system working BEFORE you upgraded to v2.3.5.32?

Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

All FW files for the 40 series system are here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

v32 may not have been put up on the download site as of yet. v34 is a security fix base on v32 so v34 will have what v32 had already. NG put v34 for users to manually download if they wish to. 

If you want up update FW you can manually download and unpack the .zip files and manually install FW your self. RBS first, then RBR. Using a wired PC and web browser for this. 

If your system is working you can also leave it. Thats up to you. 

Good Luck. 

@Sweetmo wrote:

Message 3 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sweetmo wrote:

Yes, of course when Netgear prompts users to install a specific firmware version that version should be on the support web site along with "Release Notes."  YOU are not "missing" anything.  Netgear's firmware release process for the Orbi product line is a shambles.  Some people receive emails (I do not). Some see notices in the "app" but not the web interface.  Sometimes the "Firmware Update" web page shows new versions available, and sometimes it does not.

When I tried the Netgear support site just now (https://www.netgear.com/support/ ) I got results by entering both RBR40 and RBS40.  No idea why it didn't work for you.

Some of us have become distinctly hesitant to install new firmware in the absence of (a) a problem with the way our Orbi works that we hope to fix, or (b) an urgent message about some serious security vulnerability.  And, when we are leaning toward installing new firmware, we take a "wait and see" attitude.  If some time has gone by and people who "took the plunge" have not reported unexpected problems, we are more likely to do it.

Message 4 of 20
LadyoftheLake
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat. My wifi is on and off at least ten times daily but the internet is working so it's this darn Orbi router. When I signed in today I saw there was a firmware update but no release notes. When signing in to the net gear support site the update.32 isn't shown and hotfix update.34 is with a date of 11/2019. I'd checked for firmware updates on the router sign in page many times and this was never there. I'm never notified by email. I have an R6700 Nighthawk at my 3 level mountain lakehouse and I get emails notifying me of updates and it's much more reliable than the Orbi which I purchased for my large 2 story house with a solar enphase setup on our shop some distance from the house that's connected to the wifi.

I guess we don't know what this 32 update is until NetGear posts it?
Message 5 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@LadyoftheLake wrote:
I'm in the same boat. My wifi is on and off at least ten times daily but the internet is working so it's this darn Orbi router. When I signed in today I saw there was a firmware update but no release notes. When signing in to the net gear support site the update.32 isn't shown and hotfix update.34 is with a date of 11/2019. I'd checked for firmware updates on the router sign in page many times and this was never there. I'm never notified by email. I have an R6700 Nighthawk at my 3 level mountain lakehouse and I get emails notifying me of updates and it's much more reliable than the Orbi which I purchased for my large 2 story house with a solar enphase setup on our shop some distance from the house that's connected to the wifi.

...and of course there's that group of folks who never check for FW updates.  Never understood the reasoning behind that.

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

May not be a FW issue. Rather a configuration or environment issue. It's not always a FW issue. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
I
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@LadyoftheLake wrote:

Message 7 of 20
Nest68
Aspirant

From orbi webinterface firmware update Page. V. 32 is bug fix. Fixses issues where the armor activation might fail during installation.
Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this working for you? 

@Nest68 wrote:
From orbi webinterface firmware update Page. V. 32 is bug fix. Fixses issues where the armor activation might fail during installation.

Message 9 of 20
Nest68
Aspirant

Havent tried.
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I see it's no longer available since v34 was posted. Smiley Embarassed

Message 11 of 20
Nest68
Aspirant

Something is strange about this. 32 is the update provided in the firmware menu in router setup. Its not on the page the link you provided leads to, though. 34 has been aviable as a hotfix for a long time and adresse https certificates. Im on 30, and it is stable for me.
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't have to install the update. If your system is working. Leave it. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. 

@Nest68 wrote:
Something is strange about this. 32 is the update provided in the firmware menu in router setup. Its not on the page the link you provided leads to, though. 34 has been aviable as a hotfix for a long time and adresse https certificates. Im on 30, and it is stable for me.

Message 13 of 20
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

May not be a FW issue. Rather a configuration or environment issue. It's not always a FW issue. 

When a system is working and one day you wake up and it's down OR you (because you can't resist temptation) decide to download the latest wiz-bang update, chanes are IT IS THE FW.

The sad part is that you know this yet you continue to look at everything but the FW.  

Message 14 of 20
LadyoftheLake
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions. I implemented them as follows:
I changed the channel for the 2.4G from auto to 1. A pop up warning me the max speed would be 192mbps. 5G was already set to channel 48.
I enabled MIMU. Beam forming and WWM were already enabled.
I disabled Fast Roaming and 20/40 coexist. Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain or IPV6 weren't enabled, I wasn't using them.
My house is 2800sqf. Router connected to internet coming in to 2nd story office on West side of house (not ideal). Satellite on 1st level max distance 30ft on desk in kitchen near the center of the house.
I have no neighbors(no problem social distancing here) Rural 40acres orchard. I am able to get a signal (barely) into our shop south west of house 50ft to run enphase solar.
No factory reset performed to router. ISP has done extensive testing of their equipment and its not on their end. My desktop is plugged into the ethernet and I always have internet access.
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any thing changes for you. 

@LadyoftheLake wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I implemented them as follows:
I changed the channel for the 2.4G from auto to 1. A pop up warning me the max speed would be 192mbps. 5G was already set to channel 48.
I enabled MIMU. Beam forming and WWM were already enabled.
I disabled Fast Roaming and 20/40 coexist. Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain or IPV6 weren't enabled, I wasn't using them.
My house is 2800sqf. Router connected to internet coming in to 2nd story office on West side of house (not ideal). Satellite on 1st level max distance 30ft on desk in kitchen near the center of the house.
I have no neighbors(no problem social distancing here) Rural 40acres orchard. I am able to get a signal (barely) into our shop south west of house 50ft to run enphase solar.
No factory reset performed to router. ISP has done extensive testing of their equipment and its not on their end. My desktop is plugged into the ethernet and I always have internet access.

Message 16 of 20
Sweetmo
Aspirant

Yes somewhat.  That same morning,  the internet just stopped connecting.    I had some trouble a day or two earlier as well.   When that occurs,  I just go into the router via my computer.   That's when I saw a notification there was a firmware update this morning that I hadn't noticed in the past.    I followed the firmware update and after a couple of attempts,  all was completed.    I haven't seen any issues this past week. 

Ultimately, I was just curious why I have a firmware update that has no Release Note to read.   That's all.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure why. NG removed v32 from manual download however does seem to have removed it from there update servers. V34 is available as a security patch. It has release notes. If your system is working. I would leave it alone for now. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. 

@Sweetmo wrote:

Yes somewhat.  That same morning,  the internet just stopped connecting.    I had some trouble a day or two earlier as well.   When that occurs,  I just go into the router via my computer.   That's when I saw a notification there was a firmware update this morning that I hadn't noticed in the past.    I followed the firmware update and after a couple of attempts,  all was completed.    I haven't seen any issues this past week. 

Ultimately, I was just curious why I have a firmware update that has no Release Note to read.   That's all.

Message 18 of 20
Jetfree
Aspirant

Hi all, my RBK40 setup is also facing the same internet drops after about a month of FW upgrade. It usually happens once every few days but it happened twice in the same day today. Previously, I have tried power cycling both the modem and router. It didn't last long. I'm very hesitant about carrying out a factory reset on the router. Not even sure if it will cure this problem for good. Is it possible to revert to the old FW?
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS.

Most current version of FW is v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What others have said about v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR20-RBS20-2-5-1-16-firmware-observations/m-p/1897766/highlig...

@Jetfree wrote:
Hi all, my RBK40 setup is also facing the same internet drops after about a month of FW upgrade. It usually happens once every few days but it happened twice in the same day today. Previously, I have tried power cycling both the modem and router. It didn't last long. I'm very hesitant about carrying out a factory reset on the router. Not even sure if it will cure this problem for good. Is it possible to revert to the old FW?

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7