Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

jto74
Initiate

Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

Since my RBS40 updated to V2.5.1.22 the devices connected to it are frequently losing internet connection.  The other satellite is still on V2.5.1.16 and works without problems.  Does anybody have problems with V2.5.1.22 as well and is there a way to return back to V2.5.1.16?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 35
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

@jto74 wrote:

Since my RBS40 updated to V2.5.1.22 the devices connected to it are frequently losing internet connection.  The other satellite is still on V2.5.1.16 and works without problems.  Does anybody have problems with V2.5.1.22 as well and is there a way to return back to V2.5.1.16?

Can you describe how one satellite updated to 2.5.1.22?  This firmware release does not appear on the Netgear support site.

To return to 2.5.1.16, download the firmware from the Netgear support site, unzip the file to extract the "img" firmware image file. Connect directly to the satellite at http://<ip of satellite> and select the bottom menu item, "Firmware Update".  (in this case, "downdate")

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS40.aspx#download 

Message 2 of 35
jto74
Initiate

My orbi devices seem to be updating automatically.  At least I have not done it manulaly so far, but the router and one satelite are on version 2.5.1.22 whereas the other router is still on 2.5.1.16, but the system is offering an upgrade (see attached screenshot).

I will try to download the old firmware and install manually, but if it's not an official forware why is it proposed through the orbi admin page? 

Message 3 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

There have been a few posts saying their Orbis updated to a different IP address other than the official one. My systems are all on 2.5.1.16 and not one system has showed a newer firmware. However others, that possibly manually updated their firmware with another firmware, are reporting automatic updates of firmware newer than 2.5.1.16.

Recently, one user posted their Orbi showed a firmware update. However the update was an older version than what was on their router. Hopefully Netgear can chime in and explain, since this is happening more frequently. And the post mostly states issues like frequent drops of internet or WIFI, or slow speeds.

Message 4 of 35
Xalint
Aspirant

There was a update only for the RBS40 with that new version. So you arent the only one that received that update. Interesting enought I looked around to see if there was a update for the RBR50 series nothing was to be found. I was one of the beta testers for this product kinda usual for them to update the one and not the others.

Message 5 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@Xalint wrote:

There was a update only for the RBS40 with that new version. So you arent the only one that received that update. Interesting enought I looked around to see if there was a update for the RBR50 series nothing was to be found. I was one of the beta testers for this product kinda usual for them to update the one and not the others.

My system is 2.5.1.16 router and 2.5.1.16 satellites. No new firmware updates available.

The only diference with my system and others, on different firmware, is they may have, at one point, manually installed firmware.

My system is an out of the box virgin system, no mods, no forced firmware.

Message 6 of 35
Xalint
Aspirant

I notice in your signature that have the RBS40V not the RBS40 only.

Message 7 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@Xalint wrote:

I notice in your signature that have the RBS40V not the RBS40 only.

Yes, the Orbi RBS40V voice is a killer satellite and speaker combo. Great coverage and Amazon Alexa. Can run in Orbi mode or Extender mode to use with any router.

Message 8 of 35
Xalint
Aspirant

The reason I mentioned that is the firmware would be different than the RBS40 without voice.

Message 9 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@Xalint wrote:

The reason I mentioned that is the firmware would be different than the RBS40 without voice.

Yes different beast. The current RBS40V firmware is 2.5.1.4.

I just checked and as of today the official firmware for the RBR50 and RBS50 is 2.5.1.16. 

2.5.1.22 is not listed on their firmware page. 

Message 10 of 35
kpretlaw
Aspirant

Update RBR40 to v2.5.1.22 and my RBS40 also update to that version.  Have experienced nothing but intermittent internet since.  Spent the last 6 hours trying to troubleshoot and have since downgraded to v2.5.1.16, but am still experiencing intermittent internet outages.  The entire point of the Orbi is to provide internet service.  I could care less about Alexa services if it breaks internet services.

We'll see how it goes, but I manually blocked downloads.netgear.com in an attempt to keep automatic updates from downloading.

@jto74 wrote:

Message 11 of 35
kent11
Aspirant

I've exactly the same issue with the RBS40 under firmware version V2.5.1.22. It seems to me the Orbi system is no longer reliable.

Issue: Intermittently losing internet connection even though the backhaul status is good.

Device:

Model Name Device Name Current Version Status

Router RBR40 RBR40 V2.5.1.22 No new firmware version available.

Satellite RBS40 Orbi Satellite-1 V2.5.1.22 No new firmware version available.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 12 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Message 13 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

This question may not have been raised:

Of all the systems I have installed and maintain, I have never seen an AUTOMATIC update performed. I just get a notification that a new firmware is available and choose whether to install it or not. I also find no setting in the GUI or app to approve automatic settings. So how is this happening to certain users? Am I missing something or are these users seeing the update and allowing it?

Message 14 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Historicallly it's been users noticing that there system was updated upon noticing problems after the automatic update has happened. Then they seem to review the version. I presume there are some that maybe calling the update automatic as well and they are aware of the update due to notifications seen in the RBRs UI or Orbi app and they are triggering the update. I have not seen an update on a Orbi system with out any user intervention to date. 

Message 15 of 35
kpretlaw
Aspirant

Agreed - I have had to place my cable router back in service to provide DNS and then put the Orbi back into AP mode.  This has provided some level of stability, but greatly underutilizes the Orbi feature-set.

Message 16 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

@kpretlaw wrote:

Agreed - I have had to place my cable router back in service to provide DNS and then put the Orbi back into AP mode.  This has provided some level of stability, but greatly underutilizes the Orbi feature-set.

Message 17 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@kpretlaw wrote:

It has been my experience that once you change your Orbi router from one mode to another, an instability occurs. So when having to change from one mode to another, I routinely factory reset the router, as @FURRYe38 stated and then perform a fresh install.

Doing this save so much frustration and time trying to figure out what is causing the issue.

Message 18 of 35
kpretlaw
Aspirant

I did do a factory reset and returned the Orbi to the firmware v2.5.1.16.  I changed the SSID and also flushed all routing tables from all devices (factory reboots of sonos, google devices, etc).  So, with continued instability, I moved to AP mode.

I wonder if there is an issue in that I have an RBS40 and RBS20 (acting as satellite) along with another satellite.  

Message 19 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@kpretlaw wrote:

I did do a factory reset and returned the Orbi to the firmware v2.5.1.16.  I changed the SSID and also flushed all routing tables from all devices (factory reboots of sonos, google devices, etc).  So, with continued instability, I moved to AP mode.

I wonder if there is an issue in that I have an RBS40 and RBS20 (acting as satellite) along with another satellite.  

No they would not cause problems unless the satellites are too close or too far away. Problems with Orbi systems are usually, and not in any order, human configuration error, cables for wired connections, wireless configurations, ISP or other routers, network switches, interference. 

More than likely it's a configuration error with your ISP router, because Orbi as well as most mesh routers, are very forgiving and usually easy to setup. Sorry if I missed it, but did you mention what ISP service and router you have?

Message 20 of 35
kpretlaw
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@kpretlaw wrote:

No they would not cause problems unless the satellites are too close or too far away. Problems with Orbi systems are usually, and not in any order, human configuration error, cables for wired connections, wireless configurations, ISP or other routers, network switches, interference. 

More than likely it's a configuration error with your ISP router, because Orbi as well as most mesh routers, are very forgiving and usually easy to setup. Sorry if I missed it, but did you mention what ISP service and router you have?

Prior to the firmware upgrade, I had a modem supplied by Spectrum and utilized the Orbi (in Router mode) for routing services.  Post firmware upgrade and subsequent downgrade I placed a Sagecom Router (supplied by Spectrum) inline after the modem and switched the Orbi to AP Mode.

I'm still struggling to understand how/why a firmware upgrade would have caused internet connectivity loss every 15-20 minutes with no other system changes.  I've used my Orbi system for several years with no issues (even through other firmware updates).  I always read the changelog before installing an update and nowhere, of course, did it say firmware will cause internet connectivity issues.  I know it was not designed to cause that, but Netgear provides no way to submit log files or diagnostics for software changes like this.  So, I'm left wondering why and unwilling to try and do more troubleshooting because my entire family is working and schooling from home!

Message 21 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

Your original setup should have worked. Sometimes upgrading and downgrading the firmware can cause issues. Also upgrading the router before satellites can do the same. A factory reset of the router and satellites is the best thing to do when it happens.

So when you have the time to do it, factory reset the Orbi router, do a fresh Orbi install, like you did when you got it, and put everything back to the way it was before the issue.

I ran an experiment this weekend and forced upgraded to 2.7.0.70. The first day everything was great with the exception of re-configuring a few devices plus the app kept showing the router offline every few minutes, but it wasn't. And the app and GUI were giving false device readings. I rebooted the system and it got better and after 24 hours the system was running perfectly and the app no longer shows the router offline and both are correctly reporting the devices correctly. I would have factory reset the system if the problems continued. However It is so stable I decided to update my home system this morning. It is also running stable. I'm mentioning all this becuse when problems arise, it is sometimes better to just reset everything and start over. that way all the little misconfigurations and corrupted code is wiped. 

Message 22 of 35
kpretlaw
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

Your original setup should have worked. Sometimes upgrading and downgrading the firmware can cause issues. Also upgrading the router before satellites can do the same. A factory reset of the router and satellites is the best thing to do when it happens.

So when you have the time to do it, factory reset the Orbi router, do a fresh Orbi install, like you did when you got it, and put everything back to the way it was before the issue.

I ran an experiment this weekend and forced upgraded to 2.7.0.70. The first day everything was great with the exception of re-configuring a few devices plus the app kept showing the router offline every few minutes, but it wasn't. And the app and GUI were giving false device readings. I rebooted the system and it got better and after 24 hours the system was running perfectly and the app no longer shows the router offline and both are correctly reporting the devices correctly. I would have factory reset the system if the problems continued. However It is so stable I decided to update my home system this morning. It is also running stable. I'm mentioning all this becuse when problems arise, it is sometimes better to just reset everything and start over. that way all the little misconfigurations and corrupted code is wiped. 

Thanks for the note.  I went to the download site today and interestingly, I don't see v2.5.1.22 anymore.  They only list v2.5.1.16.  Looks like they may have pulled 22 unless I just am looking in the wrong spot.  Where did you get v2.7.0.70?  I will rebuild my original set-up when I can get some time.

Message 23 of 35
Mstrbig
Master

@kpretlaw wrote:

Thanks for the note.  I went to the download site today and interestingly, I don't see v2.5.1.22 anymore.  They only list v2.5.1.16.  Looks like they may have pulled 22 unless I just am looking in the wrong spot.  Where did you get v2.7.0.70?  I will rebuild my original set-up when I can get some time.

v2.5.1.22 and v2.7.0.70 are auto updates that were never on to official download site. Some users leaked them on the forums. So they are not considered official releases, even though Netgear pushed them to certain Netgear Orbi products. If you search for Orbi firmware 2.7.0.70, you will find downloads for them. But be warned some have reported issues with any firmware over 2.5.1.16, so update at your own risk. However a factory reset may have to be done, before they work correctly.  

It is my opinion that all the firmware releases from 2.5.1.16 on, are fine for updating, and any issues users have may be a result of updating the router before updating the satellites, fail to reboot, power or just an update overwrite glitch.

I cannot speak for others but my 2.7.0.70 system was running so stable, I just updated my personal RBK50 system to 2.7.0.70 and have no complaints, after resetting some device WIFI connections and rebooting the system.

Message 24 of 35
GCassulo
Aspirant

Rif.: Firmware V2.5.1.22 seems to be creating problems with Orbi Satellite RBS40

Hi, also my Orbi RBR 40 (connected to RBW30 satellite) has updated to v2.5.1.22 too and since that I have some connections problem.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7