Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 iOS disconnections persist

jmbarbs
Apprentice

Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 iOS disconnections persist

Updated to firmware 1.5.0.12. Within 5 minutes of updating iOS devices dropping. Not sure what the update is supposed to add/fix but it hasn't fixed iOS disconnections (on my orbi). Was really hoping that issue would have been fixed with this release.

perhaps anyone from netgear could confirm if this update is supposed to fix iOS disconnections?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
darkneo29
Star

Re: Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 iOS disconnections persist

Release Notes:
[New Features] Supports VLAN and bridging on the Orbi router.
[New Features] Supports IGMP proxy.
[New Features] Allows users to enable or disable the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" feature in AP mode.
[Bug Fixed] Fixes bugs and security issues.
[Enhancements] Improves the firmware update process.

Message 2 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Try powering OFF your iOS device.

I have both Orbi and Ubiquiti wireless networks, at two different sites.  

Two days ago I had an iOS (iPad) device that had been stable start randmoly disconnecting from the Ubiquiti network.  It had never done that before.  A power cycle on the iOS device fixed it.

Message 3 of 8
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Thanks, will try now. 

Message 4 of 8
cue003
Apprentice

There were no mention of fixes of disconnects in the latest "release note" (not really notes but more release bullets) so I am not surprised the disconnects still exist.

There have been quite a few issues that "engineering know about and is working on a resolution" that it would be good to actually see those issues called out or explained as being addressed by a specific firmware version.
Message 5 of 8
jxrxme
Star

Betreff: Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 iOS disconnections persist

I'm using Orbi for 3 months now and the iOS disconnects are still an issue after several firmware updates. Very disappointing from Netgear not being able to fix this in reasonable time.

In my case the disconnects only happen in one specific room (but there all iOS devices get disconnects). Everywhere else Orbi work perfect.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 8
TrentW
Aspirant

A SOLUTION

(apologies, multiple postings of this on many of the same threads, but this issue drove me bonkers for a month so I would have wanted a solution, even if maybe it doesn't 100% solve your issue, to be posted everywhere)

So, after a day of trial and error I seemd to have reduced my drops by 100%. I was literally getting a drop every few minutes so I figured I had an extreme case.

I believe my issue revolved around other wifi systems competing with orbi in the 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Especially certain agressive systems (see below).

The key for my issue was to turn off or mute all other wireless routers.

Other wireless routers? Well, do you have XFINITY or Comcast? Did you know that Comcast turns your home into part of their hotspot network? Did you know that this means other people can then log into your router as a hotspot and then eat up your bandwith all so comcast can charge people money?

You can deactivate this yourself via your settings (log onto the website). It's very upsetting they would do this. My house is not a wifi hotspot.  deactivate at https://customer.xfinity.com/WifiHotspot/

Then, I went down to the "at home" wifi router they shove down your throat and logged into it and turned its wifi off. (first i just wrapped it in aluminum foil to create a faraday cage to see if that worked - it did, but I got worried about overheating).

six hours later. no drops. will keep you posted.

This is similar to the british person who did a bunch of things with his orbi. I think reducing the power is a red herring. the main thing he did was turn off the wifi-conflicting 2.4 and 5 ghz signals from his provider which was doing the same thing.

Let me know how it works!!!!

Message 7 of 8
jxrxme
Star

Unfortunately I can't turn off my neighbors' WiFis...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7