Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 issues/fixes

AniDutta
Apprentice

Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 issues/fixes

New firmware released on Feb 22, 2017.  

Starting this thread so people can chime in.  And hopefully Netgear moderators read our feedback.

I'll start: 

Update process went smoothly. 

Thanks,

Ani

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 29
MarkC1024
Luminary

Thanks!  Was looking for it via the download link above, to review the release notes, but it's not there yet.  Hopefully something posted when I get back home later this week.

Message 2 of 29
fljoemon
Guide

Looks like for now update only available via Orbi connection. Will wait for it to appear on the website as I prefer to update manually.

Message 3 of 29
jmbarbs
Apprentice

Update went ok, still getting iOS disconnections 

Message 4 of 29
darkneo29
Star

Release Notes:
[New Features] Supports VLAN and bridging on the Orbi router.
[New Features] Supports IGMP proxy.
[New Features] Allows users to enable or disable the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" feature in AP mode.
[Bug Fixed] Fixes bugs and security issues.
[Enhancements] Improves the firmware update process.

Message 5 of 29
Tutor

The update process was smooth. There was an on-screen notification on the Orbi app on iPhone. I just clicked on the update firmware and all done in 3 minutes. Disappointed that the USB is still not functional. No other issues so far.

Message 6 of 29
Zoomzoom66
Guide

My update went smooth as well...   Will report back on stability later....   

Message 7 of 29
Narkhelek
Aspirant

Upgrade went well using the built-in firmware update process.

Message 8 of 29
dpdurst
Luminary

As well update went smooth with no issues or problems and everything is back online running fine

Message 9 of 29
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ani,

First thank you for your passion.  Yes, we're monitoring the forum.  The release did indeed go out yesterday and contains a few, very important features for our customers, including support for IGMP Proxy and VLAN & Bridging.  It also contains a few bug fixes.  

Orbi Product Management 

Message 10 of 29
gatorgrad84
Initiate

Not so good for me...upgrade went smoothly, but now having issues with all IOS devices dropping connections. Not happeneing before upgrade. May need to revert back to prior version until fixed.

Message 11 of 29
fljoemon
Guide

How is everyone retaining the settings on the router that you have changed manually after the firmware gets updated? Do you manually re-enter the settings you changed or do you save some kind of a configuration file and then re-load it back after the firmware update.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 29
fljoemon
Guide

Anyone resetting to factory defaults after the firmware update?

Message 13 of 29
JMU1998
Luminary

will there be a separate Firmware release to address random and frequent WIFI drops, speed inconsistencies, iOS device instability, DynDNS bug, WAN port showing down in AP mode, Access control page show devices blocked etc...

Message 14 of 29
ThePathfinder
Apprentice

For me the upgrade process went smoothly but I did have some unexpected after effects to deal with, I have one of the Costco systems so I have 2 satellites one at the other end of the house from the router and one out in a detached garage, they swapped positions after the update but I see no reason for concern as it applies to function its only visual. My other issue was that all of my devices attached to the router after the update instead of the satellites, although over time most of them switched to their proper satellite the 2 TrendNet TEW-680MB media converters and my 2 ChromeCasts would not release from the router and attach to the satellite until I cycled their power. I still have the issue where when my wife’s Galaxy Tab 4 connects to a Satellite it shows /OrbiDevName2/ where the MAC address should be as well as it shows a connection type of Wired even through its wireless and it also adds a < after the device name, the device works fine, and if connected to the router it shows as it should. Hopefully they can fix that at some point but since it works I am not too concerned. I do hope they enable the USB soon as I miss my readyshare drive that was connected to the WNDR4500v3 that the Orbi replaced.

Message 15 of 29
dekka007
Apprentice

IOS / MAC OS drops still occuring.

Possibly less frequently but need more time.

Message 16 of 29
Flash008
Luminary

I can confirm guest mode is working and is isolating the internal LAN devices using AP mode. However, they are "most likely" using an ACL method allowing access only to the Orbi configured gateway and DNS IPs. I cannot ping the gateway or DNS servers (I use my own firewall and DNS), but my laptop is getting a DHCP IP from my LAN DHCP server, along with the specified gateway and DNS IP options I have configured. It seems all ICMP traffic is blocked, and I assume they are killing the ARP table too.

So I can only assume an ORBI ACL IS BEING USED that allows access only to the gateway and DNS specified in Orbi, and allows port 53 to the DNS server(s) and all ports to the gateway IP, however I am unable to understand why I am unable to reach my gateway's managment port. How would they block that.

But it works. I wish they gave the user control of the guest network so we could do it OUR WAY....

Message 17 of 29
anschmid
Apprentice

When I do a status update on Dynamic DNS I get this:

something.mynetgear.com updated successfully at 08:00 AM, 01/01/1970

Not sure what clowns are working at Netgear but this is a problem I dealt with 20 years ago when I studied computer science. You'd think by now people programming hardware would know how to probably pull a date from the system without using the default date when the first computer was created?

Amateurs at best but probable less than that!

Message 18 of 29
gfrey
Apprentice

@anschmid wrote:

When I do a status update on Dynamic DNS I get this:

something.mynetgear.com updated successfully at 08:00 AM, 01/01/1970

Not sure what clowns are working at Netgear but this is a problem I dealt with 20 years ago when I studied computer science. You'd think by now people programming hardware would know how to probably pull a date from the system without using the default date when the first computer was created?

Amateurs at best but probable less than that!

I am pretty sure your router hasn't grabbed the Date/Time from the Netgear NTP server.  I have had that problem numerous times.  I have even had to Telnet into the router and set the date/time myself as I use the Block Services per Schedule.  Under Schedule you will see the current Date/Time of the router.  I wish Netgear would allow us to change the NTP server.

Message 19 of 29
Flash008
Luminary

WOW, you are right. I missed that.

What a joke NETGEAR! Do you have any idea the problems this will create? Everything today requires a properly working DNS.

I am done. I have spent months trying to justify what should and could be a great product, but Netgear seems destined to make thier Orbi so STUPID that it should only be sold to poeple who have no idea, and no needs, of how I network should work.

1. They are forcing WPS - Major secirity concern.

2. No ehternet backhaul.

3. No method of stearing clients to specific satelites and/or router (I am sittng 10 feet from my Orbi rotuer, but its connecting to my Satelite 25 feet way and through a wall. My link speedis less than 100Mbps)

4. No method t change you IP in AP mode, must switch back to Router Mode to make any changes to IP.

5. No realtime client connect info to see what clients are doing, and no backhaul WIFI details to see the quality of that backhaul connection. You only get a list of clients and what radio they are connected to.

6. The Orbi app is USELESS. Who cares if it looks pretty. When I use ot to see connected clients I get ZERO.

7. And now this AP Guest Mode joke. Changing clients dns suffix....Are you kidding?

8. And no method to seperate the 2.4 and 5G SSIDs. I had to switch to debug mode to and sarch the itnrnet to find the command. Which will be undone if I make any change to the Orbi settings....Yes, I wnat control of what clients connect to what radio, and preferable which Orbi device.

The FACT every other OEM provides all fo the above abilty (if not half of it) is a major blow to Netgears arguement, "Customers dont want this stuff, they want easy". Yes, and customers also want an easy car to drive, so I guess that means bluetooth, HUD, manual shifting, BMW iDrive, Touchscreen, etc should be removed....it's too complicated...

Netgear, I understand you want simple for very low-tech customers who only know how to plugin to the power outlet. But this is INSANE.

I will give this Orbi one more firmware update. But if this is thier dirrection, well, I guess someone will buy my Orbi at a discount.

Thank God I still have my ASUS. Looks like I may be turing it back on.

Message 20 of 29
dmgibs
Initiate

This update has totally messed up my Orbi setup. Since updating a couple days ago the WAN link won't stay connected at more than 10mbps. If I do a factory reset it will reconnect at 100mbps and stay that way for a few hours, but then the router will reboot and only negotiate at 10mbps. All the other interfaces are fine. The only thing I have found that will get it to negotiate at 100mbps is a factory reset.

Today the router keeps going down hard and has to be unplugged before it will come back up.

Message 21 of 29
dethier1958
Guide

My Orbi did the update overnight. The base station seemed to be working fine. I could get online fine through my desktop computer connected to the base station by ethernet. But the link to the satellite was lost. I restarted the base station and it reconnected. Once that happened, my devices seemed to all connect fine. I hope the smoother updating process takes care of this in the future. 

Until this morning, the Orbi has been very good, no problems at all. Very fast speeds throughout my home. So if the updating can be automatic and without glitches in the future, that would make me quite happy.

Message 22 of 29
djc6
Luminary

@dethier1958 wrote:

My Orbi did the update overnight.

Are you sure? One Orbi complaint is that it does NOT perform automatic updates: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Option-to-Automatically-Update-Firmware/td-p/1191452
Message 23 of 29
dethier1958
Guide

It definitely did update itself. I did not do the update manually, and the firmware version did change. I had been checking for updates from time to time.

Message 24 of 29

Betreff: Firmware Version 1.5.0.12 issues/fixes

updated router and satelite....everthing ok till now...

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7