Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Version 2.5.1.8

dhoplus2
Guide

I'm curious how you were able to manually downgrade the device?  From my understanding the issue was that when the firmware upgrade happens, the ethernet port stops communicating so there's no way of logging onto the web interface. Is there another way of doing that?

Dan Hostetler

@peteryung wrote:
I encountered the same problem. So I manually downgraded the RBR50 router to 2.3.5.34 but the satellite is still with the 2.5.1.8
The devices map comes back, wait for a solutions or next version firmware.

Regards

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 89
Rob21
Aspirant

Can help me sulotion for mr1100 stc blocked 4g in saudi arabia
Message 27 of 89
Rob21
Aspirant

Netgear company give sulotion for stc blocked mr1100 in saudi arabia
Message 28 of 89
peteryung
Tutor

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30
go to the link above

Download the right version firmware, you can check thru the hot fix 2.3.5.34 or the firmware section for 2.2

Login the router admin page thru web browser (10.0.0.1 or orbilogin.com)

Tab Advanced > Adminstration > Firmware update > Manual Update, browse the downloaded Firmware file > Upload   Wait to complete and done.

Reboot the router.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 29 of 89
CC77
NETGEAR Expert

@RoboPapa wrote:
Since upgrading my RBR50 and RBS50 to firmware v2.5.1.8, I am no longer able to view any connected devices on either router or satellite Using the IOS ORBI app.

Most but not all connected devices are viewable in the Web Interface.

Can anyone advise what I can do to correct this?

Hi there,

Regarding the connected device list not showing anything within the app, could you please help reproduce the issue, and then shake & submit an instabug log?  Please also reply to this thread when its been done.

thanks,

NETGEAR Team

Message 30 of 89
aberg
Tutor

Try to downgrade, but I get a internal error 404 when try to do this.

I also don;t see any device which is connect to the orbi.

Seems to be a big bug in this releas and I don't understand why Netgear this bug did not notice

Message 31 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Why are you trying to downgrade. I and others have not found any major bugs in this release. Mine has been working very well with this version of FW. Please give more details on what your having problems with? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@aberg wrote:

Try to downgrade, but I get a internal error 404 when try to do this.

I also don;t see any device which is connect to the orbi.

Seems to be a big bug in this releas and I don't understand why Netgear this bug did not notice

Message 32 of 89
TehTarikMan
Tutor

I'm also having the same issue - after maunally upgrading to v2.5.1.8 on both the router and satellite unit, the Orbi App on IOS (13.3) is not showing information in the Network Map. The Network Map is still showing the Internet, connected Router (RBR50) and the connected Satellite (RBS50) but when you click on the Router or the Satellite, it comes back with 'No connected Device Found'.

However, in the 'Device Manager', it shows the number devices and when you click on it, it shows the list of device names but NOT their device type. All are listed as unknown. When drilling down onto the individual device, it says ' This computer is not connected to your network' eventhough it is connected and you can ping it.

The Orbi App (v2.4.12.5) was working fine previously with the previous firmware. I've tried deleting the Orbi App and re-install but with the same results. Orbi Router & Satellite have also been rebooted - short of doing a factory reset.

Anyone seeing the same issue?

Message 33 of 89
peteryung
Tutor

You are not alone. I have the same issue and now rolled back to 2.3.5.34. The latest firmware 2.5.1.8 certainly has issues, at least to the users in this thread.
Message 34 of 89
peteryung
Tutor

FURRYe38,

I don’t need to know the info you mentioned.
All I knew is:
After the firmware was updated to 2.5.1.8. No connected devices shown in router nor the satellite inside the network map.

I did the firmware rolled back to 2.3.5.34. The 10 devices are all shown connected with router and the satellite insider the network map as usual.

That logically tells the problem can only be caused by the firmware upgrade.
Message 35 of 89
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

My RBR50 and RBS50 satellites are working good with v2.5.1.8.  I have the Android App (Android 10 on my Pixel 3 phone), and devices on it match the web UI.  I do not have an iOS device to try its app, but others here have reported that it has problems with devices on the app.  I suggest posting this issue on the forum for the iOS app.  Apparently v2.3.5.x was the last release that worked correctly with the iOS app.  There is a thread on it at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-iOS-App-not-working-after-router-upgrade-to-2-5-1-8/m...

Message 36 of 89
peteryung
Tutor

tomSchmidt ,

Thanks for your info.

However, I have also tried Android 8.0 phone with the Orbi App but no luck. So it might not be an universal bug but happens under a specific environment. But I am tired to trial, it is the job of Netgear engineers.

Netgear, are you hearing?
Message 37 of 89
aberg
Tutor

The reason for downgrading is the same as user TehTarikMan wrote.
After maunally upgrading to v2.5.1.8 on both the router and satellite unit, the Orbi App on IOS (13.3) is not showing information in the Network Map. The Network Map is still showing the Internet, connected Router (RBR50) and the connected Satellite (RBS50) but when you click on the Router or the Satellite, it comes back with 'No connected Device Found'.

Reset the Orbi is for me no option because the job to install all devices again.

So please , how can I downgrading without getting the error internal server error 404 when I try to di this?

Message 38 of 89
clammerds
Apprentice

I've been running 2.5.1.8 for over a week and got to say it's the best and most stable I've had. Everything (including Sonos) just works.  No reboots of router or satellites, device manager remembers changes (often takes two attempts) and devices now show up correctly on both the web gui and the iOS Orbi app.

Orbi is funny that things work for one person and not for others.

I'm not using the RBR50 as a DHCP server, this is being managed by another device. Whether this has any bearing on anything, I don't know.  

Anyway, for now and for me personally, 2.5.1.8 is good.

Message 39 of 89
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Likewise for me, v2.5.1.8 on my RBR50 and RBS50 satellites has been very stable, the best firmware so far that I have seen.  I installed it on December 17, 2019, and it has been very solid for 3 weeks.

The only open bug I have with it that NG still needs to resolve is for the self-signed https certificate that they put on it instead of one from a certificate authority.  I have a ticket open for the certificate issue that has been forwarded to their firmware engineering team. For remote management, a means of installing a certificate for your DDNS name also needs ot be provided to give a complete solution to using the https interface (i.e. https://myrouter.mynetgear.com/ ).

Message 40 of 89
RoboPapa
Guide

As suggested by others (peteryung), I have rolled back both Router and Satellite from firmware v2.5.1.8 to firmware v2.3.5.34 and all connected devices reappear correctly again in the IOS App v2.4.12.5.

I suggest that you do the same for now until Netgear address this problem. 
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 41 of 89
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I do not have any Apple devices, so I have not been able to see if the iOS app has issues with v2.5.1.8 as others have reported. I use the web GUI and the Android app on my Android 10 smart phone, and do not have any issues with the device naming.  New devices many times are not accurately identified (i.e. a new IP Camera I added was recognized as an unknown network device), but the Android app and web interface both allow updating the device name and type.

For those that are experiencing issues with the iOS application, I suggest following and posting on this thread for it. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-iOS-App-not-working-after-router-upgrade-to-2-5-1-8/m...

Message 42 of 89
Engineer5150
Initiate

I just recieved this system a couple of days ago and stunned by the horrible quality of the firmware and smartphone apps. The shipped unit had old firmware that was very unstable, but it immeadiately updated. It was still failing to accomplish the very basic initial setup and reporting that no firmware updates were available. I eventually found this version 2.5.1.8 which needed to be manuall updated. After many hours of fiddling with it.....the app and the web interface do not tell the same story. The whole system seems to reboot quite often. Syncing satellites reports a failure, but is still saying it is connected. The web interface reports that ALL connections are to the router so I cannot tell if the satellites are even making connections. Every once in a while, for a brief moment, the web interface will show various devices connected to satellites but after a refresh that dissapears.

The phone app always shows one of the satellites as offline. The satellite that is show online is reported to have nothing connected - even though there are at least a few devices connected.

This is the behahovior of the latest software? Stop adding 'features' like Disney and whatever security services and prioritize the total and complete destruction of low level operational bugs. That is all that matters. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. Stability. 

So, even when the system appears to be working under the hood - there is no reliable way to know what in the world is going on with it. I chose this system partly because it was on the market for a while and I figured Netgear would be able to get software worked out in 3+ years. I was wrong. This system has so much potential, but the firmware / software is a joke. My absolute primary requirment is stability. I love fancy features as much as anyone, but not if they get in the way of reliability. I want to quickly setup a router and forget about it for years. So far....I have been fussing with this crazy system for many hours. While I am not a networking professional - I am a mixed discipline engineer that is immersed in design and implemtation of bleeding edge tech all day / every day. This should be the easiest thing I have ever done.

Message 43 of 89

Hello,
On my side I face a lot of issues with this version (and the previous I had 2.5.0.38) and my Sonos devices: I lost my Sonos one by one and the only way to retrieve them is to unplug/plug them until next loose. I reset my Orbi system without success. I will try to rollback to 2.3.5.30 and see if it stop the troubles with Sonos devices (I had Sonos and Orbi working perfectly for years before these updates).
Have a good day.
Hugues
Message 44 of 89
WN_143
Guide

Just completed the firmware update to v2.5.1.8 for the router and two satellites.  Its been about an hour and everything appears to be working rather nicely.  Updating the device information (attached devces) is working again; changes are holding and the assigned names/details are in place.

This update has gone far smoother than the previous update (v2.3.5.30).

Message 45 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know it works for you. I'm enjoying it. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@WN_143 wrote:

Just completed the firmware update to v2.5.1.8 for the router and two satellites.  Its been about an hour and everything appears to be working rather nicely.  Updating the device information (attached devces) is working again; changes are holding and the assigned names/details are in place.

This update has gone far smoother than the previous update (v2.3.5.30).

Message 46 of 89
rjantigua
Guide

My issue is slightly different.  I successfully updated the two RBS50 satellites to 2.5.1.8 successfully, but have been unable to update the router (RBR50) itself.  Doing the manual update, I point to the downloaded .img file (from .zip) and hit update.  It spins for awhile then comes back with the original version V2.5.0.38.  I've also tried the auto update tab, but the update button is disabled. Trying from the Orbi app has the same results. How do I get this thing to update without doing a factory reset.  I have recommended the Orbi to friends and now I'm embarrassed.  I believe only one or two updates since I purchased the router has worked flawlessly. 

Using Android (Samsung 9+) and Windows 10, both with Chrome browsers.

Update, just tried the same update in Microsoft Edge, and the router upgraded successfully.  WTH?

Message 47 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Please remember for future updates, update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. 

Enjoy. 

@rjantigua wrote:

My issue is slightly different.  I successfully updated the two RBS50 satellites to 2.5.1.8 successfully, but have been unable to update the router (RBR50) itself.  Doing the manual update, I point to the downloaded .img file (from .zip) and hit update.  It spins for awhile then comes back with the original version V2.5.0.38.  I've also tried the auto update tab, but the update button is disabled. Trying from the Orbi app has the same results. How do I get this thing to update without doing a factory reset.  I have recommended the Orbi to friends and now I'm embarrassed.  I believe only one or two updates since I purchased the router has worked flawlessly. 

Using Android (Samsung 9+) and Windows 10, both with Chrome browsers.

Update, just tried the same update in Microsoft Edge, and the router upgraded successfully.  WTH?

Message 48 of 89
rjantigua
Guide

@FURRYe38: Was that a message to me or people in general?? That is exactly what I did and have done since the first updates (see the first part of my post).
Message 49 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

General. 

Thanks. 

Message 50 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7