Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Version 2.5.1.8

agneev
Aspirant

I updated from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.18 yesterday and reset to factory settings after the update.

I am able to set Device Model and Icon in the web UI, but this doesn't reflect on the iOS app. Setting this will default to Unknown each time I open Devices in the app.

I thought this issue was fixed in 2.5.18, which was present in the pulled update, 2.5.0.40.

What should I do now?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 51 of 89
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

From what others have reported, it may take 24 hours or more for the iOS app to see the WiFi devices.  It appears that their DHCP lease needs to be renewed before the iOS app will see them.  Wired network devices reportedly are seen after the firmware update, but WiFi devices can take 24 hours to be seen.  The Android app and the web interface both see all devices immediately after the firmware update.  NG has not fixed the iOS app yet to address this issue.

@agneev wrote:

I updated from 2.3.5.30 to 2.5.18 yesterday and reset to factory settings after the update.

I am able to set Device Model and Icon in the web UI, but this doesn't reflect on the iOS app. Setting this will default to Unknown each time I open Devices in the app.

I thought this issue was fixed in 2.5.18, which was present in the pulled update, 2.5.0.40.

What should I do now?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 52 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Good Luck.

@agneev wrote:

What should I do now?

Message 53 of 89
BigRune
Apprentice

I have been running a RBK50v2 system for about a month. The one RBS50 is wired to the RBR50, both on fw 2.3.5.30.

All running well, great speeds and all. About a week ago the WiFi was unreachable so I rebooted. In the Orbi app I noticed that fw

2.5.1.8 was available for update. As I did not have any problems I decided to not update.
Today when I got home the Internet connection was offline, magenta ring showing on router. Wifi working great locally and i rebooted through the app.

Now I notice that the fw update is no longer available through the Orbi app or through the web online update tab.

What is going on?

Is it a coincidence Netgear announcing fw availability messes up my Orbi system?

Do I really benefit in stability from upgrading my 2.3.5.30 system to 2.5.1.8?

Do Netgear want me to upgrade my Orbi system or not?

Displaying devices with wrong images does not bother me. Losing WiFi and/or WAN connection does bother me!

My previous router was a AC3200 Dlink, rock solid for 5 straight years. Never rebooted even once other than with power outs or moving equipment.

Message 54 of 89
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Does the router and/or satellite now show it running v2.5.1.8?  As far as I know, NG has not enabled auto-update to v2.5.1.8 from v2.3.5.x firmware.

I have been running v2.5.1.8 for several weeks and it has been quite stable for me.

@BigRune wrote:

I have been running a RBK50v2 system for about a month. The one RBS50 is wired to the RBR50, both on fw 2.3.5.30.

All running well, great speeds and all. About a week ago the WiFi was unreachable so I rebooted. In the Orbi app I noticed that fw

2.5.1.8 was available for update. As I did not have any problems I decided to not update.
Today when I got home the Internet connection was offline, magenta ring showing on router. Wifi working great locally and i rebooted through the app.

Now I notice that the fw update is no longer available through the Orbi app or through the web online update tab.

What is going on?

Is it a coincidence Netgear announcing fw availability messes up my Orbi system?

Displaying devices with wrong images does not bother me. Losing WiFi and/or WAN connection does bother me!

My previous router was a AC3200 Dlink, rock solid for 5 straight years. Never rebooted even once other than with power outs or moving equipment.

Message 55 of 89
BigRune
Apprentice

@tomschmidt
It was not auto-update. It was an indication on first display in Orbi app. Also available on the web page. Now nothing in app and unavailable in web.

Still running v2.3.5.30
Message 56 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

NG may have pushed notfication to the app and not to the Orbi FW update system. Again, this is not a problem. NG maybe just letting users know about the FW update. This is not a major FW update thus NG is letting users make the choice to update or not. If it was a major update, NG reserves this for auto update and NG would automatically push FW to users Orbi systems. 

You can date FW to v2.5.1.8 or not. It's been stable for me as well as others. However, "If it works currently, don't fix it!" 

Up to you. 

If you happen to see PINK on the top ring LED. It's first recommended to Turn OFF the RBR and ISP Modem/ONT for 1 minute. Power ON the ISP modem/ONT and let it sync with the ISP services. Then power ON the RBR. In most cases this should clear the PINK top ring led and return the system to working order. 

@BigRune wrote:

What is going on?

Message 57 of 89
BigRune
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 Yes, don't fix what's not broken 👍

However two standstills in one week, both times Orbi app displaying changes in announcing firmware availability makes me puzzeled.

I forgot to mention that testing Internet speed (in app) today worked fine though wireless and wired devices had no WAN 🤔

Message 58 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Again it's just notification of FW availability. It's up to you. 

Enjoy. 

Message 59 of 89
radamchak
Guide

Installed v2.5.1.8 "automatically". Wondered why router and satellites did not sync. I ended up reinstalling manually, to be sure it was done correctly, then "factory reset" router and satellites. Network came up after this workflow. Go figure. Upload speed seems to be about 3-4Mb/sec slower, even after changing Speedtest servers.

Message 60 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe NG put it up for auto check update now. I also noticed a slight performance dip. Wasn't anything major. 

@radamchak wrote:

Installed v2.5.1.8 "automatically". Wondered why router and satellites did not sync. I ended up reinstalling manually, to be sure it was done correctly, then "factory reset" router and satellites. Network came up after this workflow. Go figure. Upload speed seems to be about 3-4Mb/sec slower, even after changing Speedtest servers.

Message 61 of 89
FF_NO1
Aspirant

Have the same problem  RBR50  not showing all connected devices in web interface and in app, causes a lot of trouble to me.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 62 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

And you do have v2.5.1.8 FW loaded? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@FF_NO1 wrote:

Have the same problem  RBR50  not showing all connected devices in web interface and in app, causes a lot of trouble to me.

Message 63 of 89
FF_NO1
Aspirant

Yes 2.5.1.8
Message 64 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Just confirming. 

What all devices do you have connected? 

Message 65 of 89
FF_NO1
Aspirant

Network setup 

RBR50 router with two RBS50 Satellites connected via cable 
on averge 15-20 clients, 2-3 via cable (printers and smart home GW) , the rest via WiFi, the ususal mix of mac/Windows computers, iPads, iPhones Android phones, smart TV and so on.

PS would be good to have real tri band if you have cable backhaul, so ou have have two 5GHz bands for clients DS

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 66 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Any LAN switches in the mix after the RBR? 

Let us know if a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch changes anything...

Message 67 of 89
FF_NO1
Aspirant

Dont really want to do a factory rest 

Yes, when asking me I remember ther's actually on switch connected to one of the satellites bu no traffic through it (the bult in ports of the router ond sattelites are enough) 

Most units show up in the list after some time, we run a small business at home and configure some network equipment before shipping them, so the we need to know the IP adress assigned to the unit. Guess we could use network discovery app like Fing instead 

Message 68 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of this switch your using.

At some point, try a factory reset. This should clear this up. I see all my devices listed on my RBK50 system. On same FW. 

Message 69 of 89
FF_NO1
Aspirant

its an old D-Link DES-1000D 10/100 switch but as said not really used anymore just for conecting extras temporarily and not the cause in this case.

worked fine untill the later releases last autumn as other users say (regarding this issue)

Message 70 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Ya, I would not use that switch as long term as it's connection rate is slower. Occasionally is fine. 

v38 and v40 version broke device naming and appearing in the connected clients list. v2.5.1.8 fixed all this. 

Message 71 of 89

Hello,
Can we have more details on « Sonos incompatibility fix » we see since the 2-3 last releases ? Because since around 1-2 month I have big trouble with my Sonos. My Sonos completely lost the connection to my Orbi system and the only way I find to get the connection again is to unplug / plug my Sonos. Restart my Orbi dosen’t work...
I tried many things... Rollback of Netgear firmware to previous version with factory reset -> doesn’t work / install v2.5.1.8 with factory reset -> doesn’t work / again factory rester -> doesn’t work / reset all my Sonos devices -> doesn’t work / split SSID in 2 one for 2,4ghz one for 5ghz -> doesn’t work. I don’t know what happen, my Sonos were working perfectly for years with my Orbi. Now it’s just a nightmare, I have to restart at least one every days.
Regards,
Hugues
Message 72 of 89
dhoplus2
Guide

@peteryung wrote:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30
go to the link above

Download the right version firmware, you can check thru the hot fix 2.3.5.34 or the firmware section for 2.2

Login the router admin page thru web browser (10.0.0.1 or orbilogin.com)

Tab Advanced > Adminstration > Firmware update > Manual Update, browse the downloaded Firmware file > Upload   Wait to complete and done.

Reboot the router.

Peter I never got back to you and thank you for posting the information regarding the ability to manually roll back the firmware.  I did eventually get that part of the issue resolved (way back from December) but I'm still dealing with other complications that arose from the original support. Your information was very helpful and Im sorry it to so long to say thanks

Message 73 of 89
RoboPapa
Guide

Have tried on a second occasion to upgrade both router and satellite to v2.5.1.8 firmware but still getting 'No Devices Found' on latest IOS ORBI App. This time I did a Full Factory Reset and Setup as new but still no good.

I have reverted both devices back to firmware v2.3.5.34 again and all devices are detected in IOS App again and all is good.

The question is, why is this happening to some users and not others and is there anything more drastic that I should try?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 74 of 89
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I do not have the iOS app or an Apple device, so I cannot duplicate the issue reported about it not showing attached devices. I have v2.5.1.8 installed on my RBR50 and RBS50 satellites and the Android app shows the connected devices, but it does have a couple issues. Smart Lock devices (from the web interface) are shown as Network devices in the App.  And the App will not allow me to save the changes of device icons even though it says it does.

There is a separate forum for the App at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app and it has multiple postings regarding the devices missing in the app with v2.5.1.8 firmware. Please send app-related topics to that forum board.

@RoboPapa wrote:

Have tried on a second occasion to upgrade both router and satellite to v2.5.1.8 firmware but still getting 'No Devices Found' on latest IOS ORBI App. This time I did a Full Factory Reset and Setup as new but still no good.

I have reverted both devices back to firmware v2.3.5.34 again and all devices are detected in IOS App again and all is good.

The question is, why is this happening to some users and not others and is there anything more drastic that I should try?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 75 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7