Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Version 2.5.1.8

bdela
Aspirant

I’ve been having a lot of issues with WiFi handoff between router/satellites since this update. Never had any issues before and now most devices don’t hand off when I’m moving around my home—I end up having to disconnect and reconnect to WiFi. Anyone else having this issue?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 76 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? IF this doesn't resolve anything you can downgrade back to last working FW version. 

@bdela wrote:
I’ve been having a lot of issues with WiFi handoff between router/satellites since this update. Never had any issues before and now most devices don’t hand off when I’m moving around my home—I end up having to disconnect and reconnect to WiFi. Anyone else having this issue?

Message 77 of 89
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@bdela wrote:

What Orbi/firmware on you on?

Message 78 of 89
peteryung
Tutor

Hi dhoplus2,

Good day.  Glad to know it's helpful to you.

My RBK50 V2 (1R+1S) on FW 2.3.5.34AU has been working pretty good for about 4 months.  Have about 12 devices on the network covering around 900 sq meters.  Might consider adding one more satellite to enhance the signal.  However here NZ netgear doesn't offer single satellite (only an outdoor satellite which doesn't have LAN port and a bit pricey)

Message 79 of 89
InvisibleWAN
Aspirant

Everything was good with this firmware until I tried to add an additional device (iPad).

It connects to main router fine with full access BUT the synced satellite will not allow access (my admin setting was to disallow new devices, but I authorized the iPad).

Clearly there is an issue with setting updates reaching the satellite. In fact, I have no logs from the satellite reaching the main router.

Once again Netgear has displayed its ineptitude in maintaining core functionality. Not much different than Apple releasing an iPhone update which breaks the ability to make a call.

Tired of this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 80 of 89
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@InvisibleWAN wrote:

Tired of this.

so why did you upgrade to2.5.1.8?

Message 81 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

You can apply updates to the RBS using its web page to ensure the RBS is updated.

Theres newer FW available aswell...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@InvisibleWAN wrote:

Everything was good with this firmware until I tried to add an additional device (iPad).

It connects to main router fine with full access BUT the synced satellite will not allow access (my admin setting was to disallow new devices, but I authorized the iPad).

Clearly there is an issue with setting updates reaching the satellite. In fact, I have no logs from the satellite reaching the main router.

Once again Netgear has displayed its ineptitude in maintaining core functionality. Not much different than Apple releasing an iPhone update which breaks the ability to make a call.

Tired of this.

Message 82 of 89
InvisibleWAN
Aspirant

Thank you, that is excellent guidance. I will go ahead and try that out now.

Message 83 of 89
DerekWatson
Aspirant

The file downloaded can't be opened, is this a windows only file? Is there a mac version?

I have tried from Orbi app but its says it has updated but then reboots and has same upgrade option indicating it has not worked

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 84 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

.zip files are both Windows and Mac supporting. Both Windows and Mac have built in package file handlers to unpack the .zip file. They may not work if the .zip file was downloaded as corrupt or not fully downloaded correctly. 

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000061838/ if you want to update to v16

Unpack the FW from the .zip files.

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11(Windows), Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again.

I recommend keeping this method, as it's a proven method I and others have been using for years to update router FW.

@DerekWatson wrote:

The file downloaded can't be opened, is this a windows only file? Is there a mac version?

I have tried from Orbi app but its says it has updated but then reboots and has same upgrade option indicating it has not worked

Message 85 of 89
DerekWatson
Aspirant

Hi

I have tried downloading the file again (5 times now) and get this error each time I try to open it. Its is a .img file which is why I queried if it was a windows file in the zip archive?

Message 86 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

What link are you using? The one I included? 

What browser are you using? 

You don't open or extact the .img file. Thats the actual file you send down using the RBS or RBRs web page. 

@DerekWatson wrote:

Hi

I have tried downloading the file again (5 times now) and get this error each time I try to open it. Its is a .img file which is why I queried if it was a windows file in the zip archive?

Message 87 of 89
DerekWatson
Aspirant

It looks like the satellites have updated but not the router... Is this correct or should it have updated too?

Message 88 of 89
FURRYe38
Guru

Try manually updating the RBR now. 

Message 89 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7