Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware of europe

bearyoung
Aspirant

Firmware of europe

I bought a rbk23 in US, will move to Germany soon, can I use it's newst firmware of Europe? Will I brick the orbi?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware of europe

FW is not region specific. You can select from the drop down box under the log out button on the RBRs web page to select a country listed i n the drop down. 

@bearyoung wrote:
I bought a rbk23 in US, will move to Germany soon, can I use it's newst firmware of Europe? Will I brick the orbi?

Message 2 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FW is not region specific. 

@bearyoung wrote:

That's true. Cumbersome: There is (to my limited Obri-insight) no way top adjust the wireless legislation on the FCC (US) units - these are locked to US/FCC - so no way to operate legally under European (or other legislation - this is only possible on European [xxxxx-n00EUS] or Asia/pacific [xxxxx-n00PAS] models coming with the worldwide [WW] preset). Worse: Depending on the channels configured, region sensitive clients (like mobile phones) might fail to see any connect the wireless radios. 

Message 3 of 12
bearyoung
Aspirant

Is that possible to change the settings to WW via telnet? I saw someone has succesed on a rbk53.
Message 4 of 12
3nwq
Aspirant

US is more restrictive on the 2.4GHz channels, not allowing the channels 12 and 13.

On 5 GHz your Orbi will default different channels that would be used in Europe.

But all those channels that are available in USA are ok to use in Europe.

So don't worry. Just use it.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe this is the post describing how to change the Region

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK53-Region-Change/m-p/1811833#M72806 

Message 6 of 12
bearyoung
Aspirant

My concern is that I am not sure if this works on the rbk23, as you wrote, the method is for rbk53.
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Method is the same for all RBR/RBK systems. Just be sure you load the 20 series FW files. Load the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

@bearyoung wrote:
My concern is that I am not sure if this works on the rbk23, as you wrote, the method is for rbk53.

Message 8 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@3nwq wrote:

But all those channels that are available in USA are ok to use in Europe.

Afraid, this is not longer correct - it was upon a time. Channels 149..165 are no longer allowed to be used in Europe for WiFi - only max. 25 mW for SRD. And this is exactly where Orbi does prefer to run the wireless backhaul in the FCC version - that's why the impact on the client connections is limited.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FW is not region specific. You can select from the drop down box under the log out button on the RBRs web page to select a country listed i n the drop down. 

I may be mistaken, but I think the drop down menu under the Logout button is to select the language rather than the WiFi Region.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, this was my intended understanding and responce. I should have included that as well. 

Thanks. 

Message 11 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@bearyoung wrote:

There is one quick way to find out: telnet into the router, apply the settings, and see what pops up.

The bottom choice is North America, and should already be selected.  If the rest of the world is on the drop down menu, then you are "good to go".  No need to actually select one of the other choices.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7