Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update 4.1.16 (& my stupidity?) hosed NV+ v3 SPARC. Stuck on boot, C drive empty.

seezee
Aspirant

Firmware update 4.1.16 (& my stupidity?) hosed NV+ v3 SPARC. Stuck on boot, C drive empty.

NV+ v3 SPARC was OS 4.1.15 but now it's 4.1.16, used on an APPLE environment over Gigabit Ethernet.

I got an email this morning alerting me to the firmware update (why now? this update is months old?). Tried to install this afternoon, first from the remote image, then local. Kept failing the upload & verify. Couldn't shut down from Frontview because it said a background task (the unfinished update? Shouldn't that have stopped due to upload/verification error?), Had to SSH in and run:

shutdown -r now

After reading the forums I determined the OS partition was full. Deleted a bunch of logs, disabled DNLA & iTunes servers, deleted the DNLA caches. Got really clever & moved the log directory to the C drive and symlinked to it from the OS partition. Finally got the firmware update to pass, system dialog (in Frontview) says to reboot, but the shutdown page is still giving me the "can't reboot due to background task" message. I shut it down from the command line again.

Starts up, hangs on "booting up."  I can SSH in and I see the C drive is now empty.  Output of 

df -h

is

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1             1.9G  414M  1.5G  21% /
tmpfs                  16k     0   16k   0% /USB

Since /c/var/log no longer exists, I delete the symlink and create a new empty /var/log directory. Reboot. Still hangs.

Try a USB boot, with a copy of the firmware executable on a thumb drive. Display says "Index Error." Try booting into tech support mode. Start RAID, mount /sysroot/, there's a single log file but since I'm telnetted in I can't open it.

I can see the symlinks to my shares in the root directory, but the shares appear to be gone. And of course, the durned thing won't finish booting anyway.

Am I screwed? I'm afraid to do an OS reset because I've got 4 × 2TB drives & the original factory OS doesn't support big drives (1TB maximum).

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Re: Firmware update 4.1.16 (& my stupidity?) hosed NV+ v3 SPARC. Stuck on boot, C drive empty.

I think you’re in the wrong place. This is the Orbi forum.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Re: Firmware update 4.1.16 (& my stupidity?) hosed NV+ v3 SPARC. Stuck on boot, C drive empty.

I think you’re in the wrong place. This is the Orbi forum.

Message 2 of 3
seezee
Aspirant

Oh crap. The navigation on the boards is terrible & I was tired when I posted. Mea culpa. I've reposted this to the correct forum. Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7