Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update connection now poor

fixmacs
Guide

Firmware update connection now poor

I updated the firmware on the Orbi router and satellitte today. Now the sateliite fails to connect "good." The connection status is now "poor." I restarted the satellite and re-synced the system. Still "Poor."

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBS and RBR...Let us know how it goes. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@fixmacs wrote:

I updated the firmware on the Orbi router and satellitte today. Now the sateliite fails to connect "good." The connection status is now "poor." I restarted the satellite and re-synced the system. Still "Poor."

Message 2 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@fixmacs wrote:

1. Please make a wifi scan and see which channel the backhaul is currently using. In a wifi scan you will see your wifi network and the used channels and also you will see the backhaul channels as "hidden" networks with no SSID. It can be that the channel used by Orbi is being used by your neighbours or has radar interference.
  2. Please follow the following procedure to forget the current backhaul link and create a new one:
    1. Switch off the Satellite
    2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside the Satellite in questions
    3. Turn on the Satellite and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite
    4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite and then on the Router
    5. When the Satellite is added it should behave correctly.
Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@fixmacs wrote:

Message 4 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

How do I perform a wifi scan? I don't see such a tool in the Netgear Orbi utility.  I cannot find the channel information for any Orbi device, satellite, or connected device.

Message 5 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

No luck. I performed a factory reset of both the Orbi base station and the satellite. The connection begins as GOOD, then after five minutes or so it switches to POOR.

Everything was working perfectly until the firmware update.

Message 6 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

No luck. None.

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 8 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@fixmacs wrote:

I updated the firmware on the Orbi router and satellitte today. 

Why?

Message 9 of 21
ekhalil
Master

@fixmacs wrote:

No luck. I performed a factory reset of both the Orbi base station and the satellite. The connection begins as GOOD, then after five minutes or so it switches to POOR.

Everything was working perfectly until the firmware update.

You should NOT factory reset the Router for this purpose. Only the Satellite and strictly following the steps explained in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-update-connection-now-poor/m-p/1788574/highlight/true...

Message 10 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

How do I perform a WiFi Scan? Does the NG Web interface have a tool? As I stated above, I don't find a NG Orbi admin page that shows the channels used and no means to perform a scan.

I appreciate your comments. Maintaining this device is worse than any other I've had. The worst. Why doesnt' Netgear field test these things? Usability testing. Beta testing. I will go through troubleshooting steps, again but I cannot find the information regarding what channels any device is using. The Netgear Orbi admin interface has no such thing that I can find.

Message 11 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@fixmacs wrote:

How do I perform a WiFi Scan? Does the NG Web interface have a tool? As I stated above, I don't find a NG Orbi admin page that shows the channels used and no means to perform a scan.

I appreciate your comments. Maintaining this device is worse than any other I've had. The worst. Why doesnt' Netgear field test these things? Usability testing. Beta testing. I will go through troubleshooting steps, again but I cannot find the information regarding what channels any device is using. The Netgear Orbi admin interface has no such thing that I can find.

was your network ever working?

why do you want to scan your wifi?  your results will change from hour/day to hour/day.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

For mobile Pads there is WiFi Analyser, Net Analyzer and WiFi Sweetspots. Sweetspots gives you connection rates between the mobile device and WiFi AP device. Handy to see how fast the connetion rate is while troubleshooting. 

You can manually set channels on Orbi. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@fixmacs wrote:

Message 13 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For mobile Pads there is WiFi Analyser, Net Analyzer and WiFi Sweetspots. Sweetspots gives you connection rates between the mobile device and WiFi AP device. Handy to see how fast the connetion rate is while troubleshooting. 

You can manually set channels on Orbi. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

these are a waste of time.  without knowing what exactly you're looking at, you're more prone to make things worse (if you can figure out what to change).  

it's best to leave the wifi channel select in AUTO.  Anyone who has performed a wifi scan on channels in use will note it all changes within a matter of minutes.  your neighbors are probably doing the same thing.   chasing you.  unless you're on the moon with no neighbors you're better off to leave the wifi channel select to Orbi.

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets let the OP make that decision for himself. He asked for information and it's been given. They have the ability to learn as they go. Those apps are not complicated. Very easy to use. 

Message 15 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. I have implemented every suggestion to no avail. The Backhaul status of the RBS50 remains POOR after the intial connection declares GOOD, then it goes into SYNC MODE, then displays a POOR backhaul connection. The Orbi and satellite are less than 40 feet apart and recorded GOOD connections prior to the firmware update.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 16 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@fixmacs wrote:

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. I have implemented every suggestion to no avail. The Backhaul status of the RBS50 remains POOR after the intial connection declares GOOD, then it goes into SYNC MODE, then displays a POOR backhaul connection. The Orbi and satellite are less than 40 feet apart and recorded GOOD connections prior to the firmware update.

Never did hear what firmware you have.

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You might revert back to prior working FW and factory reset and setup from scratch and see if this fixes this for you. 

@fixmacs wrote:

Message 18 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

The firmware is V2.3.5.30

Message 19 of 21
fixmacs
Guide

Is this possible, downgrading the firmware? 

Message 20 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@fixmacs wrote:

Is this possible, downgrading the firmware? 

Yes

Look for the download section here and be sure to follow the instructions.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7