Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update - disconnection of Orbi router

sabrinamane
Tutor

Firmware update - disconnection of Orbi router

Hello,

I had lot of issues when i have installed Orbi on my Etisalat Modem. I had to disconnect Armor that was creating lot of disconnection (many times per day).

Now it is working properly, however, everytime thereis a Fireware update, this will again disconnect my Orbi router. It can take 20 min when I turn it off and on again to make it work.

This is always happening middle of day, which is not easy when we are working from home, and in a middle of an important call.

Who can help me to fix this issue as it is very annoying?

Thanks,

Sabrina

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
vajim
Master

Re: Firmware update - disconnection of Orbi router

@sabrinamane wrote:

Hello,

I had lot of issues when i have installed Orbi on my Etisalat Modem. I had to disconnect Armor that was creating lot of disconnection (many times per day).

Now it is working properly, however, everytime thereis a Fireware update, this will again disconnect my Orbi router. It can take 20 min when I turn it off and on again to make it work.

This is always happening middle of day, which is not easy when we are working from home, and in a middle of an important call.

Who can help me to fix this issue as it is very annoying?

Thanks,

Sabrina

Stop performing firmware updates 

Message 2 of 7
sabrinamane
Tutor

how to do that?

Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

@sabrinamane wrote:

how to do that?

do what...perform firmware updates?

Most updates are user initiated.  Meaning you have to go looking and then click something.

My advice is IF your Orbi is working good, leave it alone and enjoy it.  That's all

Message 4 of 7
sabrinamane
Tutor

Actually the firmware is installed automatically when there is a new version. if there is an option to stop this automatic refresh, that could be great, so i can update it manually instead at the end of a day when there is a new one. i am not sure how to stop the automatic installation and switch it to manual one instead.

Message 5 of 7
vajim
Master

@sabrinamane wrote:

Actually the firmware is installed automatically when there is a new version. if there is an option to stop this automatic refresh, that could be great, so i can update it manually instead at the end of a day when there is a new one. i am not sure how to stop the automatic installation and switch it to manual one instead.

define "automatically"

I've not seen fully automatic in several years.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@sabrinamane wrote:

Is this a typo ("Fireware" rather than "Firmware")?

How often does this happen?

Orbi firmware goes months and months without updates.

@vajimis correct that most of the time, the user must cause the firmware update to happen by activating an option in the Orbi "app" or in the Orbi web interface Firmware Update.  There have been reports this Spring of some Orbi systems being updated silently without user action, but not frequently.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7