Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update question

Soccerphysio
Aspirant

Firmware update question

I’m a new (3 month) user of my Orbi system (and I’m not tech savvy, so please forgive my basic questions here!), and I’ve have had no problems at all, works great!  I’ve received a few emails stating firmware updates were available, so I went into the app and “Checked for Updates.”  After a few minutes, a message came up saying there was a problem and the process couldn’t continue.  When I returned to the initial screen, above the box for “Check for Updates” there was a “Reboot” option.

Why would the reboot option be offered, despite there being no problems with connectivity right now? Is it “safe” to reboot without crashing my system (I’m not sure what rebooting would do)?

My concern is that I need to install a Rachio WiFi sprinkler controller today, and don’t want to mess up my WiFi!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Yes it's safe to reboot. it maybe not getting a good update check and wants to reboot to be sure. You maybe on older FW which may have already autoupdated. 

Message 2 of 6
Soccerphysio
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply! I cannot find the info on my modem, its the one provided by Charter/Spectrum Cable, there’s no product info located on it.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem info would be helpful. Is there a sticker behind or under the modem giving model# info? 

You can use a wired PC and web browser and navigate to your RBRs web page and log in and look at the Internet status. Do you see a ##.##.###.### address there or a 192.168 or 10.something address listed here. 

Just checking to see if the modem may already have a built in router. 

Message 4 of 6
Soccerphysio
Aspirant

The only info I can see is “MO 2151009228-01L1”, in addition to a “CM MAC” and “MTA MAC” number.

I really appreciate your interest in helping!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any update on this? 

Can you post a picture of the ISP modem?

You can use a wired PC and web browser and navigate to your RBRs web page and log in and look at the Internet status. Do you see a ##.##.###.### address there or a 192.168 or 10.something address listed here. 

Just checking to see if the modem may already have a built in router. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7