Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update today RBR20

MichelleGi
Aspirant

Firmware update today RBR20

I received an email today saying that my Orbi Satellites and Router had new updates. The new version numbers are not listed in the email and my App is again saying there is no update for firmware (it did this when I bought the thing and I had to do a manual process to get the new firmware.) How do I find out what the new firmware versions should be and get them manually now that I am out of warranty?

Message 1 of 15
GeekNJ
Tutor

I received the same email today (Dec 26 2020) and neither of my Orbi routers (NJ or FL) show any update available when checked via the iOS app. 

My app shows v2.5.1.16 as the firmware on both of the routers. https://kb.netgear.com/000062432/RBR20-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-36 seems to indicate 2.6.1.36 is the latest. Np obvious date other then https://kb.netgear.com/000062432/RBR20-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-36 shows last updated Oct 7 2020. Same date matches the content of the zip file. Not sure if versions in the app are matching the website and if so, it seems the app firmware check isn't working as expected.

Message 2 of 15
plemans
Guru

You can compare them on the website

Orbi RBR20 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

for the satellites, type in the satellite model to compare with the support site

Support | NETGEAR

Message 3 of 15
wfroese
Aspirant

Hi plemans, you read the post incorrectly.

The above people and myself have gone to those exact pages and seen there is a higher version of firmware for the router (2.6.1.36) and sat (2.6.1.38) devices however, both the ORBI app and the router admin screens do not show an update available and report that the current version is v2.5.1.16 and there is no update available.

If we were to download the updates, the installation instructions say to follow your instructions and then link to this:

To check for new firmware and update the firmware (if available):

1. Connect your mobile device to your Orbi router’s WiFi network.
  2. Launch the Orbi app.
  3. Enter your router's admin password and tap SIGN IN.
    The dashboard displays.
  4. In the top-left corner, tap the Menu icon.
  5. Select Settings > Router Settings.
  6. Scroll down and tap Check for Updates. If you see Update Firmware instead, your router has new firmware available. 
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to update your router's firmware.

This doesn't tell us how to solve the problem since this process isn't working: there is a new version and the firmware update methods are not reporting any available.

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

Reason why is many times they rollout the update to the manual server first. That way a small subset of people get the new firmware and they can watch to see if there's issues. It can be several days to several weeks before they roll it out to the automatic update server.

Its not a defect or flaw, its a way to ensure their internal/external testing didn't miss something and cause widespread issues. 

Message 5 of 15
MichelleGi
Aspirant

Wow - it would be nice of them to send it the email only when yours is ready. How many people are having the same problem unneccessarily and spending hours trying to figure it out, when a different notification method would have worked much better?

@plemans wrote:

Reason why is many times they rollout the update to the manual server first. That way a small subset of people get the new firmware and they can watch to see if there's issues. It can be several days to several weeks before they roll it out to the automatic update server.

Its not a defect or flaw, its a way to ensure their internal/external testing didn't miss something and cause widespread issues. 

Message 6 of 15
MichelleGi
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You can compare them on the website

Orbi RBR20 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

for the satellites, type in the satellite model to compare with the support site

Support | NETGEAR

I just followed the link and found the download. It says: 

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports HTTPS on the LAN

SecurityFixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues.

Message 7 of 15
MichelleGi
Aspirant

@MichelleGi wrote:

Wow - it would be nice of them to send it the email only when yours is ready. How many people are having the same problem unneccessarily and spending hours trying to figure it out, when a different notification method would have worked much better?

@plemans wrote:

Also just found it is supposed to be a security fix... That I am not interested in waiting weeks for. I long for the old days of true Beta testing when the end user had a choice in the matter.

Message 8 of 15
GeekNJ
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

That would be like your car dealer sending out a recall notice to bring in your car before they had replacement parts. They made a mistake in either sending the email or enabling the download from the router.  Oops!

Message 9 of 15
MichelleGi
Aspirant

@GeekNJ wrote:

@plemans wrote:

That would be like your car dealer sending out a recall notice to bring in your car before they had replacement parts. They made a mistake in either sending the email or enabling the download from the router.  Oops!

That would take me 5 minutes talking to a service adjuster to figure out, not tons of time on the internet though.

Message 10 of 15
oknach
Initiate

The Orbi app updated in Google Play to V2.8.0.1395 this morning. The app is still reporting that v2.5.1.16 is the current firmware. Is doing a manual firmware update to v2.6.1.36 the prudent thing to do? Or is waiting for the app to update an automatically push the firmware a better choice for less tech-savy users?

Message 11 of 15
GeekNJ
Tutor

I noticed yesterday that they did finally release an update that showed as . I applied to my RBR20 and no issues noticed in 24 hours. I had no issues before the update either.

Message 12 of 15
oknach
Initiate

Thanks @GeekNJ ! Update made. Agree, no issues before or after the update, just want to have the latest and greatest features. 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a new backup configuration to file on the RBR. Helps save time if a reset is needed. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@oknach wrote:

Update made. Agree, no issues before or after the update, just want to have the latest and greatest features. 

Message 14 of 15
vajim
Master

@MichelleGi wrote:

I received an email today saying that my Orbi Satellites and Router had new updates. The new version numbers are not listed in the email and my App is again saying there is no update for firmware (it did this when I bought the thing and I had to do a manual process to get the new firmware.) How do I find out what the new firmware versions should be and get them manually now that I am out of warranty?

Is your system working?

if it is leave it alone 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7