Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update

nickcage49
Tutor

Firmware update

Since these a**holes don't have support I wanted to know if anyone knows where to download the latest firmware update for this product? All I can find is stupid release notes.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions

Re: Firmware update

@nickcage49 wrote:

Unfortunately I get this error message when I try to open it on my Mac. This may be for a PC and not a mac.

You are trying to open a img file?

That is not how it works.

As @CrimpOn explained, you extract the img file from the zip file and upload the img file you are trying to open to the router.

I gather that even Macs come with a built-in extraction feature.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Manually Update Firmware.

Take a deep breath. Calm down and work through the process a step at a time in the procedure described there. It really is that simple.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 17

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Message 2 of 17
nickcage49
Tutor

Nope. That's my point. There is no update there. Just instructions and a useless file. See the screenshot.

Message 3 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Although I have a different Orbi, the process might be the same.  i.e.

1. Download the file from Netgear.
  2. Extract the .img (image) file from the zip archive to someplace on the hard drive that you can find easily.
  3. Use a web browser to navigate to Orbi's Firmware Update page and select Manual.
  4. When it asks for the file, browse to the location where the .img file is and click on it.

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a problem with your Orbi, if not, you may just want to leave it alone. "if it works, don't fix it!"

Message 5 of 17
nickcage49
Tutor

Unfortunately I get this error message when I try to open it on my Mac. This may be for a PC and not a mac.

Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 6 of 17

@nickcage49 wrote:

You are trying to open a img file?

That is not how it works.

As @CrimpOn explained, you extract the img file from the zip file and upload the img file you are trying to open to the router.

I gather that even Macs come with a built-in extraction feature.

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Manually Update Firmware.

Take a deep breath. Calm down and work through the process a step at a time in the procedure described there. It really is that simple.

Message 7 of 17
nickcage49
Tutor

You know what guys, if it's going to be that complicated I'd prefer to just pass.

Last time I was able to download the firmware automatically and it worked fine.

The router is working. I'm not going to fix what isn't broken.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Message 8 of 17

@nickcage49 wrote:

Last time I was able to download the firmware automatically and it worked fine.

That still works.

Unless you have done something to break the system.

Message 9 of 17
nickcage49
Tutor

How could I do that? LOL

Is there a link I'm missing?

The only link I see to download firmware gives me that image that I can't use.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 17

The automated update is there for all to see. See the bit of the manual Check for Firmware Updates.

If you can't see anything there, there is probably no update for your devices.

Sounds like you should just give up. This stuff seems to be outside your "skillset". Even Mac users, notorious for needing remedial help, have overcome the hurdles involved.

Netgear tries to make the whole Orbi system "idiot proof", much to the regret of many experienced users. But it can go only so far.

Message 11 of 17
nickcage49
Tutor

Don't be rude please.

I can do. Just don't want to at this point.

Message 12 of 17

@nickcage49 wrote:

Don't be rude please.

I was simply picking up on the tone of your first message.

Since these a**holes don't have support I wanted to know if anyone knows where to download the latest firmware update for this product? All I can find is stupid release notes.

You were given sound and accurate advice on what to do and how to go about it. You decided to be obtuse.

@nickcage49 wrote:

I can do.

Not from what has gone before.

Message 13 of 17
nickcage49
Tutor

Dude just f off ok?

You're a f'ing jerk.

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thats enough. Please refrain from using offensive language. Information was given. Users can choose to take it or leave it. "You can lead a horse to water..."

Come back at a later time to try to upgrade FW. FW updates do work and v30 is working well for most. 

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 17
hunniebee1226
Aspirant

I think what the OP is trying to say is that this should be easier to update. With things becoming more and more simplistic, there should be a place to go and click "update firmware" and have it done automatically. Additionally, I am trying to update my RBR50, after just finding out that my Parental Controls that were included in my app when i first downloaded it a month ago have been removed. I have just tried uploading the .img file to update, only to have it tell me that I can't update without going through the upgrade for the previous version first. This is silly.

Message 16 of 17

@hunniebee1226 wrote:

With things becoming more and more simplistic, there should be a place to go and click "update firmware" and have it done automatically.

On most devices, that is exactly what you do, although experienced users prefer to control the process with a manual update.

In Orbi systems it is even easier because the thing can do the update with no user intervention. Again, some users turn that off  because they fear that updates will remove useful features.

@hunniebee1226 wrote:

Additionally, I am trying to update my RBR50, after just finding out that my Parental Controls that were included in my app when i first downloaded it a month ago have been removed. I have just tried uploading the .img file to update, only to have it tell me that I can't update without going through the upgrade for the previous version first.

If you want help with that bit, you would do better to start a separate discussion.

The need for an earlier update is a "one off" thing due to a basic change in the firmware. Something to do with the memory used. After that, you are free to apply whatever firmware you want.

That was all discussed some months ago, when that change happened.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7