Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware update

ekstam1105
Aspirant

Firmware update

I bought new RBR50 router. Current Firmware version is 2.2.1.210. While setup, it is showing new firmware version 2.3.5.30. Can I upgrade the firmware?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekstam1105 wrote:

I bought new RBR50 router. Current Firmware version is 2.2.1.210. While setup, it is showing new firmware version 2.3.5.30. Can I upgrade the firmware?

Yes.  2.3.5.30 has been out for several months.  Some people report issues and are unhappy.  Many of us updated immediatly and have been quite satisfied.  If it happens that you upgrade the firmware and discover problems, it is possible to "go back".

I would do it before anything else.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekstam1105 wrote:

Yes.  2.3.5.30 has been out for several months.  Some people report issues and are unhappy.  Many of us updated immediatly and have been quite satisfied.  If it happens that you upgrade the firmware and discover problems, it is possible to "go back".

I would do it before anything else.

Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ekstam1105 wrote:

A couple of other thoughts/questions......

Is your system working fine now?  If it is, why upgrade?

Did you read the release notes to the new firmware?  Some updates are fucntional specific.  If what it attemps to fix and you don't use it, why update?

Message 3 of 15
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

Seriously?  Have you heard of Orbi's auto-upgrade feature?  None of the posted ways to block the auto update are bullet proof.  I would love to downgrade to an old Orbi firmware in the V1 series and not have it updated.

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

My memory is not perfect, but I have a distinct impression that the upgrade immediately before 2.3.5.30 was the first to give users the choice of  upgrading (or not), and I did upgrade on purpose to 2.3.5.30.  I believe that going back to 2.2.1.210 will immediately cause an upgrade to (whatever the heck that number was).

Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Seriously?  Have you heard of Orbi's auto-upgrade feature?  None of the posted ways to block the auto update are bullet proof.  I would love to downgrade to an old Orbi firmware in the V1 series and not have it updated.

Yes, I've heard of Orbi's auto-upgrade feature.  

Do you know the history thereof?  Obviously not.  At some point in the past after listening to users constantly whine and complain about forcing auto-update FW on everyone, NG changed their policy to where now the only FW that gets pushed automatically are those with major revisions that they feel would benefit all.

Therefore IF your system is working, leave it alone.  They post release note to each FW which explains what is being covered.  Most of things may not apply to the average user.  So again, if your system is working and the update covers nothing you use, then LEAVE IT ALONE.

Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

My memory is not perfect, but I have a distinct impression that the upgrade immediately before 2.3.5.30 was the first to give users the choice of  upgrading (or not), and I did upgrade on purpose to 2.3.5.30.  I believe that going back to 2.2.1.210 will immediately cause an upgrade to (whatever the heck that number was).

I would think NOT.  If you're able to go back to 2.2.1.210, with the way the updates are pushed now, since 2.3.5.30 does not qualify for a auto push, then it should work.

The ones that may run into a problem are the brand new users, that with a fresh install, 2.3.5.30 is pushed and they end up with problems.  But then again some claim 2.3.5.30 is fine.  The goal is to fine a FW that works for you can leave it alone.

Message 7 of 15
Ragar99
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

@

@Retired_Member wrote:

Do you know the history thereof?  Obviously not.  At some point in the past after listening to users constantly whine and complain about forcing auto-update FW on everyone, NG changed their policy to where now the only FW that gets pushed automatically are those with major revisions that they feel would benefit all.

You don't know what you are talking about.

Message 8 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@

@Retired_Member wrote:

You don't know what you are talking about.

Well then stop wasting your time in here and go contact one of the community managers/moderators:

@Dustin_V 

Message 9 of 15
Ragar99
Luminary

Waste my time?  I am trying to get good information, not someone's opinion on how they think something should work

Have a link that documents how the no longer auto update feature that you cited works?

Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

Waste my time?  I am trying to get good information, not someone's opinion on how they think something should work

Have a link that documents how the no longer auto update feature that you cited works?

Not my opinion, just what I was told in an email from one of the moderators.  I will say that I haven't updated my FW in nearly a year and the AUTO is turned on.  Under the old policy, my system would have updated several times since.

But I have an even better idea, .....ignore what I've said here and go about your way.  You sound like you already have it figured out and understand more than I ever will.  Enjoy!

Message 11 of 15
Ragar99
Luminary

So this was changed months ago and is still undocumented and you don't know how it works.   Right!

Message 12 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

I would appreciate both of you taking this offline.  Assail each other with private messages, please.

Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

I would appreciate both of you taking this offline.  Assail each other with private messages, please.

It was never online.   I did nothing wrong Go crucify someone else 

since you’re acting as a moderator please provide the solution.  I’ve ask the real modulators to post the policy.   Or ask flurry he seems to know all 

Message 14 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ragar99 wrote:

So this was changed months ago and is still undocumented and you don't know how it works.   Right!

I don’t care how it works for I don’t do manual updates.   Byeeeeeeeeeee

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7