Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware upgrade or not?

ninegag
Aspirant

Firmware upgrade or not?

I am wondering if I should upgrade my firmware manually. The current firmware shown is V1.4.0.18.

The introduction says that the system would upgrade its firmware automatically. But it seems that this feature does not work for my system.

I got an email last week introducing a new firmware 2.0. Could anyone tell me if I should upgrade the firmware manually or just wait for the automatically upgrade in the future?

FYI, I got my RBR50+2xRBS50 system from Costco last month. It works perfect for me so far.

Thanks,

Louis

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware upgrade or not?

@Ursa99 wrote:

I too purchased mine from Costco and it had the same firmware.  It worked just fine out of the box.  I upgraded manually to the .72 and then the .74 firmware and it is still working just fine.  Speeds are good and no disconnects.  I have not had any of the myrid of issues I read about here.  Mine setup has been running in both router mode and then access point mode with no issues.  ...

Same experience here - It's been running well for me through the upgrades.

I figured the 1.4 firmware may be too old now to do the auto update. There may be security holes that you expose your network to if you leave it on the old firmware. Being in IT, I've seen what can happen so I would say upgrade for that reason.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Ursa99
Star

I too purchased mine from Costco and it had the same firmware.  It worked just fine out of the box.  I upgraded manually to the .72 and then the .74 firmware and it is still working just fine.  Speeds are good and no disconnects.  I have not had any of the myrid of issues I read about here.  Mine setup has been running in both router mode and then access point mode with no issues.   It is certainly your call as to whether or not you upgrade.  It may happen automatically anyway...

Message 2 of 6
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Ursa99 wrote:

I too purchased mine from Costco and it had the same firmware.  It worked just fine out of the box.  I upgraded manually to the .72 and then the .74 firmware and it is still working just fine.  Speeds are good and no disconnects.  I have not had any of the myrid of issues I read about here.  Mine setup has been running in both router mode and then access point mode with no issues.  ...

Same experience here - It's been running well for me through the upgrades.

I figured the 1.4 firmware may be too old now to do the auto update. There may be security holes that you expose your network to if you leave it on the old firmware. Being in IT, I've seen what can happen so I would say upgrade for that reason.

Message 3 of 6
ninegag
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I am going to upgrade now. Hopefully the 2.0 firmware won't take me down lol.

Message 4 of 6
ninegag
Aspirant

Thanks for both of you folks' quick reply.

I just upgraded my BRK53 system all to the latest 2.0.0.74 firmware version.

I had to upgrade each satalite seperately even if I checked both of them before upgrading.

The whole progress took me about 10 minutes. 

I'll see if it works as perfect as the old version.

Message 5 of 6
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Read the other posts about .74 if you experience issues.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7