Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware v2.1.4.14?

Deckard22
Aspirant

Firmware v2.1.4.14?

Hi there...a support person sent me this version of the firmware via chat...any idea what it is/what it does? It looks more recent than the "current" firmware on my router/satellite. Also, any idea how to tell when different versions of fimware are depolyed?

My Orbi worked perfectly for three weeks, then the satellite started dropping its ethernet (output) periodically (started doing this around May 6). Last night, my Orbi router spontaneously rebooted...while I was using my computer.

Any ideas? If these are merely firmware issues, I can wait for fixes, but if not, I will exchang my Orbi. Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume it was from the homekit fix that was posted. Not sure what else if may or may not fix.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ethernet-ports-on-satellite-disconnects/m-p/1581009#M32418

Did you did a factory reset and set up from scratch after applying the FW update? You might follow up on your original thread....

No router Mfr posts dates on future FW releases...

Message 2 of 11
Deckard22
Aspirant

Hi...for now, I've just rebooted the router and satellites, and was going to see if that alone fixed the issue. Then last night, my ROUTER (which was fine before) spontaneously rebooted, while I was using the computer!

Going to wait and see if the satellite disconnects again (my original issue), and if it does, then apply the new firmware. You think I need to do a factory reset AFTER I apply the firmware? Won't that just wipe out the firmware I applied? As always, thanks for responding!

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I would do a full factory reset and set up from scratch after applying the .14 version.

No, factory reset only erase user configurations is all...

Message 4 of 11
Deckard22
Aspirant

OK, thanks, I'll give that a go...sigh, I love this thing when it works, but now that my router is rebooting randomly...

I do think these problems are all firmware related, because they're sporadic, but only one way to find out! Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 6 of 11
JMU1998
Luminary

Is this the Beta Firmware we have been waiting on with the wired backhaul fix?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing was said about it fixing the wireld back haul problem or not. It was initially intended for users with Apple HomeKit issues. Deckard called in and it was given to him however he's seeing a different problem. You can give it a try if you like and see if it helps any. I would factory reset the router and satellite after applying it and set up from scratch. Add 1 satellite via wireless first and let it get a BLUE LED on top. After that, connect the ethernet cable between the router and satellite and see if you get a BLUE LED on top. Give it 5 minutes for this to reconfigure this...

@JMU1998 wrote:

Is this the Beta Firmware we have been waiting on with the wired backhaul fix?

Message 8 of 11
Deckard22
Aspirant

Yeah, assuming it was just given to me as it's the lastest version (though I believe it's a beta). Not because I have ethernet backhaul issues. Hoping it works!

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out...

Message 10 of 11
KrikkeDR
Tutor

I hope they also include an update for the outdated MD5 encryption to SHA-256 or comparable for the VPN certificates. Since now, the VPN server is pretty useless. Or you have to use an outdated OpenVPN build and compromise on security.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7