Reply
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

The first issue I'm experiencing with firmware 2.5.1.8 is the inability to turn on remote management from the app. I can enable it from the web interface but the app does not allow me to enable it so I can access my Orbi remotely from the app. I did a full restore back to factory settings before applying the update.

 

I receive the following error:

"Some error occured while enabling/disabling remote management"

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 101
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

My community forum page has an orange banner across about "an issue with Remote Management fucntionality."  (That won't go away when I click on the 'x', but that's another issue.)  They say it's fixed, unless it's not fixed.

I love my Orbi.
Message 27 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8


@MikeG63 wrote:

... appears to have resolved the device naming ..


I'm glad it's working for you.  I see it as still broken.

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 28 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

For those that have installed v2.5.1.8 firmware, have you checked to see if the https certificate is updated to be properly signed by a certificate authority?  Does opening https://orbilogin.net/ open as a secure web site in your web browser?  Can you check the certificate for when it will expire again?

RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 29 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@tomschmidt wrote:

For those that have installed v2.5.1.8 firmware, have you checked to see if the https certificate is updated to be properly signed by a certificate authority?  Does opening https://orbilogin.net/ open as a secure web site in your web browser?  Can you check the certificate for when it will expire again?


Chrome complained, so it still appears broken to me.

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 30 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

On the device renaming issue, it appears the icon choices between the browser UI and ios app are not all there.  This will break updating one versus the other.  As an example, I have a TP Link smartplug HS100 which the browser UI identified correctly but the ios app viewed as generic.  I changed the browser side to a light (what's actually controlled by the smart plug), and the change then reflected back to the ios app. 

 

The browser UI also has provisions for changing two fields for descriptors, whereas the ios app only displays and edits one of them.  This is another issue that is causing problems in being able to properly identify devices.

 

So close...

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 31 of 101
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Has anyone seen any release notes form 2.5.1.8?

Message 32 of 101
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

Anyone have a direct link to the download for this firmware? If so... can you post it in here?

 

Thanks

Message 33 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1

@gr8sho, In Chrome, can you click on the red "Not Secure" in the URL line at the top and then select "Certificate" to see the date range that the certificate is valid?  I am curious if it is the expired certificate still as seen with v2.3.5.30 and v2.5.0.38, or if it is the self-signed certificate (thus still not trusted) as seen in the v2.3.5.34 and v2.5.0.40 releases, or if it is yet another certificate...  You can also click the "Details" tab and copy and paste its contents to your reply.

 


@gr8sho wrote:

@tomschmidt wrote:

For those that have installed v2.5.1.8 firmware, have you checked to see if the https certificate is updated to be properly signed by a certificate authority?  Does opening https://orbilogin.net/ open as a secure web site in your web browser?  Can you check the certificate for when it will expire again?


Chrome complained, so it still appears broken to me.


 

RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 34 of 101
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8


@gr8sho wrote:

@MikeG63 wrote:

... appears to have resolved the device naming ..


I'm glad it's working for you.  I see it as still broken.


That's a shame, it's not 100% OK, I have one device that's stuck showing the 'doorbell' icon.  If I change it to an 'extender' icon it works, but if I change it to a 'generic network' icon it reverts back to showing the 'doorbell' icon :-)  Apart from that for all the other devices I can change their names and icons at will.

Message 35 of 101
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware v2.5.1


@tomschmidt wrote:

@gr8sho, In Chrome, can you click on the red "Not Secure" in the URL line at the top and then select "Certificate" to see the date range that the certificate is valid?  I am curious if it is the expired certificate still as seen with v2.3.5.30 and v2.5.0.38, or if it is the self-signed certificate (thus still not trusted) as seen in the v2.3.5.34 and v2.5.0.40 releases, or if it is yet another certificate...  You can also click the "Details" tab and copy and paste its contents to your reply.

 


@gr8sho wrote:

@tomschmidt wrote:

For those that have installed v2.5.1.8 firmware, have you checked to see if the https certificate is updated to be properly signed by a certificate authority?  Does opening https://orbilogin.net/ open as a secure web site in your web browser?  Can you check the certificate for when it will expire again?


Chrome complained, so it still appears broken to me.


 


Still appears to be boken on Safari despite having instlled the fix 

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 16.49.07.png

 

Message 36 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8


@MikeG63 wrote:


That's a shame, it's not 100% OK, I have one device that's stuck showing the 'doorbell' icon.  If I change it to an 'extender' icon it works, but if I change it to a 'generic network' icon it reverts back to showing the 'doorbell' icon :-)  Apart from that for all the other devices I can change their names and icons at will.


I spent quite a bit of time repairing what seems like incorrect tagging from 2.5.0. So far it does seem better and at least usable.  

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 37 of 101
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

Hi, All, 

 

RBR50/RBS50 firmware version 2.5.1.8 is now available on our support site. Please see release notes and download link: 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team
 

Message 38 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

@Blanca_O, the release notes make no mention of fixing the device naming bug introduced by v2.5.0.38 firmware. Does v2.5.1.8 fix the device naming bug of v2.5.0.x?  Users including myself do not want to waste hours of our time beta testing the v2.5.1.8 firmware unless we know that the v2.5.0.x bugs were corrected.

 

 


@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi, All, 

 

RBR50/RBS50 firmware version 2.5.1.8 is now available on our support site. Please see release notes and download link: 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team
 


 

RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 39 of 101
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8


@tomschmidt wrote:

@Blanca_O, the release notes make no mention of fixing the device naming bug introduced by v2.5.0.38 firmware. Does v2.5.1.8 fix the device naming bug of v2.5.0.x?  Users including myself do not want to waste hours of our time beta testing the v2.5.1.8 firmware unless we know that the v2.5.0.x bugs were corrected.

 

 


@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi, All, 

 

RBR50/RBS50 firmware version 2.5.1.8 is now available on our support site. Please see release notes and download link: 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team
 


 



@tomschmidt wrote:

@Blanca_O, the release notes make no mention of fixing the device naming bug introduced by v2.5.0.38 firmware. Does v2.5.1.8 fix the device naming bug of v2.5.0.x?  Users including myself do not want to waste hours of our time beta testing the v2.5.1.8 firmware unless we know that the v2.5.0.x bugs were corrected.

 

 


@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi, All, 

 

RBR50/RBS50 firmware version 2.5.1.8 is now available on our support site. Please see release notes and download link: 

 

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team
 


Couldn't possibly comment on yours or indeed others particular setups and configurations, all I can say is that in my particular case it has resulted in a massive improvement in the ability to rename  / change device icons along with no stability issues and improved overall performance.


 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 40 of 101
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

I can confirm as well, after manually downloading the FW v2.5.1.8 files and applying them manually via web browser, no factory reset. changing device names is now working and sticking. 


Be aware that NG has changed from using specific Icons, i.e. apple and android and IoT sepecific icons to more generic Icons. So ALL apple and android phones will get a generic Smart Phone icon. Same goes for pads and desktop or laptops. NG seem to be using a smaller amount of icons for devices regardless of Apple or Android or otherwise. 

 

Device naming now seems fixed. Thank you NG. Smiley Wink

@Blanca_O 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 41 of 101
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8


@MikeG63 wrote:


Couldn't possibly comment on yours or indeed others particular setups and configurations, all I can say is that in my particular case it has resulted in a massive improvement in the ability to rename  / change device icons along with no stability issues and improved overall performance.

The inclusion of "Fing" might have made the difference. In term of performance, my iPhone 6s Plus was never able to break 300Mbps with v2.5.0.40.  It's able to hit ~400Mbps with v2.5.1.8 sitting next the Orbi.  YMMV.

Message 42 of 101
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

Nice performance boost from the last FW version v2.5.0.40.

 

Take a look at the attached picture!

 

 

V2.5.1.8 SpeedTest.png

Message 43 of 101
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

Speeds are nice with this version:

SpeedTestRBR50Wired.png


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 44 of 101
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

I upgraded my RBR50/RBS50 today from v2.3.5.34 to v2.5.1.8.  Results thus far:

 

Good: Device naming bug of v2.5.0.x is fixed!

 

Bad: https certificate is still untrusted due to it being self signed, as seen in the image below from Firefox 71.0 from https://orbilogin.com/ which is the same self-signed certificate as seen in the v2.3.5.34 and v2.5.0.40 hot fixes.  Netgear , please get a certificate authority to sign the certificate.  Your previous certificate that expired in August 2019 was signed by a CA.

 

Capture V2.5.1.8 certificate error, Firefox 71.0.jpg

RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 45 of 101
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8


@SW_ wrote:

The inclusion of "Fing" might have made the difference. In term of performance,

Fing is a popular software tool for scanning networks and deducing the manufacturer of the ethernet interfaces.  It has (literally) nothing to do with speed.  Speed improvements have come somewhere else.

I love my Orbi.
Message 46 of 101
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

Been using FING for years how. Nice little app to find out whats connected on your network or find unknown devices. Hopefully won't have to use it as much since the device detection seems way better now. 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 47 of 101
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8




@CrimpOn wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

The inclusion of "Fing" might have made the difference. In term of performance,

Fing is a popular software tool for scanning networks and deducing the manufacturer of the ethernet interfaces.  It has (literally) nothing to do with speed.  Speed improvements have come somewhere else.


Based on the incremental FW change/description, if performance benefit isn't coming from the inclusion of "Fing", i.e., enhanced devices recognition, where is this "somewhere else" exactly?  For references, I don't use DIL, Armor, and Sonos.  CPU uage in v2.5.0.40 is extrememly high due to devices scanning and I don't do speed test while trying to rename devices at the same time.  Take a look at the picture bellow from a previous post regarding performance degradation/issue with v2.5.0.40.

 

Based on your above statement/claim, please share with us what you believe to be the "source" for the improved performance in v2.5.1.8.  I'm ready to listen and learn about your insight.   Thanks!

 

New Features and Enhancements:

  • Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list
  • Add DAL into firmware for several features, like DIL, Armor.
  • Include Fing for device recognition.

Bug Fixes:

  • Fixes the compatibility issue with Sonos devices.
  • Update the web server certification of RBR50/RBS40

 

 

net-scan.cpu.hog.v2.5.0.40.png

 

Message 48 of 101
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

Didn't mean to offend anyone.  I have no idea what Netgear did to improve performance.  What I DO know is that one person has looked at Netgear's code and found ways that he claims makes it run faster:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/ 

 

Things like using the Neon instruction set, changing compiler options, etc. are open to Netgear just like they are to him.  I am also happy to admit that Netgear's home grown device lookup software may have been so terrible that incorporating Fing software made a dramatic improvement in performance.  Maybe Fing is "the answer" all by itself.

I love my Orbi.
Message 49 of 101
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Firmware v2.5.1.8

Curious, are you seeing the same CPU load now with v1.8 loaded? Or is it lower? 

 


@SW_ wrote:



@CrimpOn wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

The inclusion of "Fing" might have made the difference. In term of performance,

Fing is a popular software tool for scanning networks and deducing the manufacturer of the ethernet interfaces.  It has (literally) nothing to do with speed.  Speed improvements have come somewhere else.


Based on the incremental FW change/description, if performance benefit isn't coming from the inclusion of "Fing", i.e., enhanced devices recognition, where is this "somewhere else" exactly?  For references, I don't use DIL, Armor, and Sonos.  CPU uage in v2.5.0.40 is extrememly high due to devices scanning and I don't do speed test while trying to rename devices at the same time.  Take a look at the picture bellow from a previous post regarding performance degradation/issue with v2.5.0.40.

 

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 50 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements