Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

First no internet connection on my orbi RBR40, now it wont factory reset or setup a new network.

Evert22
Aspirant

First no internet connection on my orbi RBR40, now it wont factory reset or setup a new network.

Hello,

I have a problem. Today my orbi network stopped working out of nowhere. The router ring led is flashing white. It consists of a RBR40 and a RBW30. It has worked perfecty for the last 6 months. Now it stopped working and i tried to do a factory reset en setup a new network. 

After trying for 5 times i succeded in getting the power led to flash amber. But now when i try to setup a new network, there is no network named ORBI11 which there should be.

Can anyone help me? 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: First no internet connection on my orbi RBR40, now it wont factory reset or setup a new network.

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. Does the top ring LED turn on and start blinking then slowly pulsate?

if you connect a wired PC to the RBR, doe it get a IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.something?

Message 2 of 8
Evert22
Aspirant

Re: First no internet connection on my orbi RBR40, now it wont factory reset or setup a new network.

Hi, thanks for your repley.

When i press the restart button for 15 seconds nothing happens.
Also, when connecting a wire nothing comes in.
I have asolutely no idea what could be wrong.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBR is faulty. I would make contact with NG support to see what your options are. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Evert22 wrote:

After trying for 5 times i succeded in getting the power led to flash amber. But now when i try to setup a new network, there is no network named ORBI11 which there should be.

ORBI11 is the SSID printed on the product label?  If you factory reset the Orbi and the SSID printed on the label does not broadcast, I think the Orbi is "dead".  Being six months old with a 12 month product warranty, I think Netgear should replace it.  (Does you absolutely no good in the immediate future.)  This is why every time I replace my WiFi router I keep the old one in a drawer in case of emergencies.

I have never figured out how customers contact Netgear to get a product replaced under warranty, since they stop accepting contacts after 90 days.  What seems to work is to send a private message to one of the forum moderators by clicking on their screen name (such as @Dustin_V - notice the capital "N" after the name). Netgear frowns on customers posting personal information on the public forum, so the private message is where you explain the situation: product, serial number, when purchased, that it no longer is "alive", and how to contact you.

While you struggle with the process, there is no harm in trying to flash the firmware using TFTP:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

Message 5 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

I've experienced the same problem with a couple RBR40 uynits after firmware update. I got them running by turning them off, hold down the reset button and turn on the router. Keep holding the reset button until you see the power light is amber, then let go. If that doesn't help, do it again only this time don't release the reset button until you see power light red.Let go of the reset button and wait. Once white light is pulsating, use the app and reconfigure. I've actually had this same problem on RBR20, RBS20, RBR40, RBS40, RBS40V, RBR50 and RBS50. I'm assuming they are just stuborn to fully reset. 

Message 6 of 8
Evert22
Aspirant

Thank you so much all for your tips.
Unfortunally none of them worked.
The power led did turn to red, but after that it turned to green again and the ring led keeps on blinking white. So i also still cant create a new network.
Message 7 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@Evert22 wrote:
Thank you so much all for your tips.
Unfortunally none of them worked.
The power led did turn to red, but after that it turned to green again and the ring led keeps on blinking white. So i also still cant create a new network.

That is exactly what was supposed to happen, meaning your satellite is fully reset and ready to pair. Now you fire up the app and add a satellite. If you cannot add a satellite, then I suggest you factory reset the Orbi router and start again.

Not to be rude, but setting up these systems is a very easy task, if all instructions are followed. When someone absolutely cannot figure out how to achieve this, the best thing to do is hire someone that knows how to install a wireless mesh system on an existing network.

The only problems I ever see is if the system was used or a return, and not reset when sold, or the system is defective. Because of the possible used / return factor, I reset every system, including wrapped out of the box.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7