Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: First time loss of connection rbr50 after update to 2.0.0.74

Majorninth
Aspirant

First time loss of connection rbr50 after update to 2.0.0.74

System purchased in july. Connected with only defaults. No guest Network. Connected to main netgear router n750. Double NAT. System updated automatically to 1.12.0.18. All worked perfectly.

In August changed to AP mode. System continued to work perfectly. The night before last I manually updated to 2.0.0.74 thru the orbi admin web page. No factory reset. No other settings were changed. Approximately 24 hours later while I was doing very light web browsing the connection to my tablet showed wifi disconnected. I changed my connection to the main router n750. Wifi signals were excellent for both orbi router and satellite. Was unable to bring up orbi login or orbi admin page. Orbi rbr50 was showing magenta ring flashing. Power cycled orbi router (only rbr50, not my main router or my cable modem). System booted and connection was back. Note not running any special fancy settings, do not have any special hardware setups. Running straight AP setup mode with all the netgear factory defaults except AP mode and ssid/password.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 46
LarrR
Tutor

I'm getting the same thing with two PCs which are hardwired to the network (through a netgear 1Gb switch). I'm working along on the first PC then my wife starts to work on the second PC. Then all comes to a halt. I'm not having any such issues with a Netgear Nighthawk X6S (AC4000) in place of the Orbi (RBK50). I've been having such issues with the Orbi since I got it in February 2017. I've updated the firmware for each version since then. This last time (2.0.0.74) I did a factory reset, installed the new firmware, and did minimal configuration using the Netgear app. 

This is very frustrating. I'm going to contact Amazon and see if I can get my money back. This device cost way too much to be needing to spend such time on it. I'm fairly network savvy, so I don't believe that it is me. This last experiment (with the 2.0.0.74 firmware) would seem to prove this.

Message 2 of 46
TexBuck
Aspirant

Me too. My Orbi systems have run flawlessly - love these things.  Since upgrade to 2.0.0.74 have lost router functionallity 2 of 3 days.  I can log on and network speed test directly from Orbi and all test fine but more and more devices on the LAN lose ability to reach the Internet.  I am going to try and roll back to the previous firmware.  

Message 3 of 46
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to factory reset the unit since the 2.0 update? Also make sure beamforming and mumimo are enabled in the advanced wireless settings. If you still have disconnects send me a PM with contact info and will have our support team work with you.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 46
tucsontico
Virtuoso

One of the hints recently mentioned on this forum was to do an NVRAM reset and after that do a factory default reset. When those two are complete, reconfigure your ORBI as you want but do it manually. DO NOT USE any saved configuation files to reconfigure your ORBI. Additionally, after the reset/reconfigure DO NOT USE the built-in Speedtest on the QOS setup page. Apparently, that test mode is causing some users to have slow-downs and other anomolies.

Having said all that, I'm not a WiFi expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely trying to help out with some potential fixes. Overall, I've been pleased with the performance of the ORBI system in my environment. There are still issues in my system too but nowhere near as many as other folks continue to report. Good luck!

Message 5 of 46
Jimrob
Tutor

Following, I have the same issue... I've tried disabling daisy-chain (didn't work) and rolling back firmware (it wouldn't do it).

Message 6 of 46
TexBuck
Aspirant

Some more info.
- I rolled back the firmware on the router and both satellites. Didn’t help
- when I lose Internet connection, I can still logon to the orbi router admin counsel. The status of internet shows good. If I run a speed test from the router, I get very good upload and download.
- I checked the log file and it shows that the ip addresses on the internet can’t be reached.

I will try the reset thing next time I have time when the router dies - should be in the next day
Message 7 of 46
LarrR
Tutor

I have gotten all of these problems. The Orbi WiFi coverage in our house is amazing, so I want to make it work. But, I have about given up. I will try to do what has been suggested here. I'm not sure how to reset the NVRAM, but I'll figure it out if documented somewhere. As I have said, I did a factory reset, updated the firmware to 2.0.0.74, and then did the basic configuration only to have the routing fail for 2 wired PCs. l seem to have a security camera that is probably causing problems with duplicate IP addresses (and thus confusing  the networking problems), but again I can circumvent this. 

I was thinking about putting the Orbi in AP mode and using any of my routers for the routing. However, I saw what I believe was a post from someone who did just this and ran into WiFi problems. Has anyone else done something like this and have it work?

Message 8 of 46
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello LarrR

Have you tried to reserve the Ip address of the camera so no other device tried to pick up that Ip address when connecting to the router? 

DarrenM

Message 9 of 46
dsegel
Tutor

I have a new system, one RBK50 and two RBS50s (all on v2.0.0.74). It's been up for about a week with mostly good results. Tonight the internet connection fully disappeared, although the router itself said Status: GOOD. I rebooted the router and everything was fine again.

This is not only frustrating, but very disapointing. I paid more than $500 for this system. It's 2017 - I've been using WiFi for nearly 15 years now. Why is it so hard to make a reliable system?

Message 10 of 46
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dsegel

Has this only happened once or is it a constant thing? also have you checked the logs of the modem that the router is connected to make sure it did not lose connection at the same time?

DarrenM

Message 11 of 46
pathfinderf7
Aspirant

Unfortanately this issue has been going on for months now. I have had to revert back to firmware version 1.11.0.20 in order for mine to work. This has been an constant issue with losing internet connection to devices. After the version of firmware mentioned above this system has went to crap. We complain constantly on these forums and nothing happens. I see firmware updates coming out, but only to add more features and not focus on fixing the issues users are having. It is frustrating especially when we pay top dollar for a product we expect to peeform up to the advertised standards.
Message 12 of 46
dsegel
Tutor

@DarrenM wrote:

Has this only happened once or is it a constant thing? also have you checked the logs of the modem that the router is connected to make sure it did not lose connection at the same time?

Only happened once so far, but the system is only a week old. Nothing in the modem logs, and it would be suspiciously  coincidental that the connection came back up again as soon as I rebooted the Orbi system.

Message 13 of 46
Majorninth
Aspirant

Same here only happened once. Fixed by just rebooting the orbi router. Did not have to reboot satellite or the main non orbi router or the cable modem. Haven't had the problem since then.

Message 14 of 46
dsegel
Tutor

It happened again tonight, almost exactly 23 hours after the last event. I could connect to internal systems just fine, but nothing on the internet. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do any extensive testing tonight.

Nothing at all in the cable modem logs tonight.
Message 15 of 46
Jimrob
Tutor

My problem seemed to be the same, and it is now solved I think after 48 hours with no further disconnects. I changed the following in advanced wireless settings:-
1. Disables daisy chain topology
2. Enabled implicit beamforming
3. Enables MU-MIMO
4. Left fast roaming unchecked.

Hope this helps someone else
Message 16 of 46
JackH-AZ
Aspirant

Bought my orbi just two months ago and all worked flawlessly until about two weeks ago when we lost all internet access yet devices would connect to the orbi router and satellites.

We use Cox Gigablast and after connecting my PC directly into the modem, I saw we didn't lose internet at all but Orbi just wasn't working at all. It wasn't until reading all the posts that it seems the loss was due to the automatic firmware updates to the router and satellites. Did a factory reset, which still kept 2.0.0.74 firmware and all was working again, except the next day I noticed my download speeds were wicked slow in the 10-20 mbps range, while upload is 300+.

This is most frustrating and will use the suggestions I've read here. If anyone has had the same experience as I described and can offer any other solutions, I am thanking you already!
Message 17 of 46
dsegel
Tutor

Similar to tghe above post, one additional point of interest:

Only wireless connections are unable to reach the internet. Wired connections continue to work fine when this problem ocurrs.

Message 18 of 46
pathfinderf7
Aspirant

The whole purpose of having this system is to use the wireless feature throughout the area you want to access internet at. It is very frustrating to be losing internet every 15-20 seconds and takes up to 5 minutes to establish another connection only to lose it again in a few seconds.
Message 19 of 46
pathfinderf7
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues since August. If you are able to return them, I would. Unfortunately for me I have had them since February and cannot return them or access the help of a netgear represenative without forking over money to receive assistance from one of their help desk personnel. This is getting frustrating and it seems that Netgear does not care to fix the issues we are all having.
Message 20 of 46
pathfinderf7
Aspirant

I tried what you posted on here. It did not fix the connectivity issues. I am still losing connection every few seconds. I hope yours is still working stable.
Message 21 of 46
pathfinderf7
Aspirant

It seems that we cannot rollback to older firmware now. I have attempted at least 10 times and it will not take it. Looks like we are stuck with this crappy firmware update. I now have an Orbi router and Orbi sattelite that does nothing but look nice in my house, but no internet is being pushed to my devices wirelessly.
Message 22 of 46
LarrR
Tutor

Yep! I've seen all of this. In my case (after disabling daisy chain, etc) my wireless connections "seem" to be OK. But, when I'm on my wired PC alone, all is very fast. However, when my wife sits 6 feet away on her PC and accesses the Internet, everything (my PC's Internet connectivvity, her PC's Internet connectivity, and access to the router's control software) slows down to a crawl.

I'm giving up. I'm inserting a router after the modem and before the Orbi, putting the Orbi in AP mode for wireless connections, and making the router run the wired items only. I've read something that leads me to believe that this may fail for wireless connections, but I will see.

Message 23 of 46
LarrR
Tutor

I did what I said I was going to do. I put a router between the cable modem and Orbi, put the Orbi in AP mode, and have the router serving wired devices. All seems to be working well, wired and wireles. This has been a VERY expensive ordeal. I'd choose a different vendor in the future.

Message 24 of 46
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

I've picked up another solution for the moment to see if Netgear can fix the issue before the return period for this other solution expires. I need to have reliable networking. Is that too much to ask of a router? Just reliably route the network traffic?

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7