Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: First time loss of connection rbr50 after update to 2.0.0.74

dsegel
Tutor

Mine cut out this morning again for the first time in several days. A reboot fixed it.

I have another 20 days to return it, so for the time being I'm holding on to it. It actually works well, when it works.

I'm also thinking of just running an arduino to monitor it and do a cold power reboot when necessary.

Message 26 of 46
TexBuck
Aspirant

In case this helps anyone else.  My Orbi worked flawlessly for many months through many firmware updates.  2.0.0.74 caused the drop issues as noted above every 1-2 days, so I rolled back the firmware.  

To do this I had to roll back the Router first, then one satellite, and then the last satellite.  Took several tries but finally got the it rolled back on all 3 devices.  This didn't seem to help.  I opened the Orbi app on my phone and it alerted me that new firmware was available (2.0.0.74 again) and I tried to close it before it automatically upgraded (did this before).  It ended up upgrading the firmware back to 2.0.0.74 and it now works fine again.  Haven't had to reboot in almost a week.

Good luck

Message 27 of 46
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've heard another person on here loaded up the update two times and that seems to have fixed his issues. It may be that netgear just doesn't have a good upgrade algorithm for the settings and does something funky the second upgrade that it is not doing for first pass through. It would be good to hear someone else try this re-upgrade to see if it fixes their issues.

Message 28 of 46
Hydro130
Luminary

@aaz wrote:

I've heard another person on here loaded up the update two times and that seems to have fixed his issues. It may be that netgear just doesn't have a good upgrade algorithm for the settings and does something funky the second upgrade that it is not doing for first pass through. It would be good to hear someone else try this re-upgrade to see if it fixes their issues.

Yeah, I think you might me on to something here... I had to do the .74 update a few times back-to-back before I could get it to successfully "stick"... 

As I typically do, I was doing a factory-reset as part of my update, and I ran into some odd hiccups -- I recall that the router got totally stuck in a factory-reset loop [blinking white indefinitely] once, and I had other odd issues too (but don't recall details)...  It was a bit maddening, but at the time, I chalked it up to something I was doing wrong (like going through the setup too fast).  Eventually, it just finally worked as hoped and everything has been great for me since - no wierd LEDs and no disconnects.

Message 29 of 46
dsegel
Tutor

Mine has dropped the wifi internet connection a few more times over the past few days, requiring a reboot to get it back each time. I'm sending it back this weekend, going to try Linksys Velop next. Many complaints about it as well, so we'll see...

Message 30 of 46
ISulaiman
Tutor

4-5 times a day for me in the past 4 days and I've tried many suggestions already. I wish I can still return mine...Spending the whole weekend just dealing with this...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 31 of 46
pathfinderf7
Aspirant

I feel your frustrations. The only firmware that seems to work for me is the following: V1.11.0.20

It seems to be the most recent steady firmware before these updates started occuring and causing loss issues. 

I suggest you manually revert back to this version and try it. You will need to do this again once netgear pushes the newest firmware to your router again. This sucks and unfortanately I cannot return my product due to the length of time I have owned it. I cannot get netgear assistance as well because it has been over the allowable time for free technical support. It seems netgear does not care, they can see all these complaints and issues everyone is having. Good luck. Hopefully this works for you.

Message 32 of 46
ISulaiman
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. At this point I'm just about to head out and get a new router. I'm done dealing with the Orbi for now. Since I can't return it, I'll probably change it to an AP or something. It's really baffling as it was working ok for a few months. Felt like I've been subjected to consumer testing with a product that isn't ready.
Message 33 of 46
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

Got a new router last week. Its unfortunate that not only did Netgear release this betaware on their users, they provided no mechanism to easily allow us to get back to something stable. In addition they've been largely absent for this issue and we're having to rely on each other to get information about status and fixes.

As a company I'm done with Netgear altogether. They have shown marked disdain for their users throughout this whole affair.

Message 34 of 46
TexBuck
Aspirant

I hope I don't sound like a Netgear fanboy here, I am not.  My Orbi has just worked better than anything I tried so far.  Try to make a long story not so long.  

- I had an Apple Extreme Router and the signal was weak in some parts of my house and I would get red bars and poor connections on my one or both of my XBOX 1s, but other than that worked fine.

- Ordered Orbi - worked great 99%+ of the time, but every couple of hours would momentarily drop (< 1 sec ) and kick both XBOXs off line.  Great friendly Tech support, but didn't know how to fix it and acknowledged it was an issue.  Returned while in 30 day window.

- Bought upper line Netflix with 2 range extenders.  Never could get the range extenders to work with XBOXs.  But chased a wierd problem that didn't allow one or both XBOXs to host online games. Well after the 30 days finally tracked down the router was setting up NAT to closed.  Linksys said it was impossible to have 2 XBOXs on the same router.  I infomred it sucessfully worked for years on the Apple router, said it was impossible. 

- Went to Micorsoft store, and they said routers are very finicky keep on buying them figuring out what works and return the ones that don't.  My Netgear trial cost was $600+.

- Got my Orbi at Costco, lifetime satisfaction guarantee.  Specifically checked, if a firmware breaks it in a year, can bring it back.  

If you are looking for a company that is perfect, I hope you find it and please email me the answer.  

I do admit I am very surprsied at Netgear for the following reasons:

- I assumed I could roll back firmware and have what I started with and it would still work.  The rolling back firmware doesn't really go back to firmware is surprising

- It seems like these companies would have one person that actually responded to their forums at some point.  If the attitude is we don't care and don't read it, I would think the way to maximize profits for the shareholder would be to shut down the form.  

- Maybe it is cynical, I don't really expect anybody to provide any good answers.  I do hope they are lurking to know what they need to focus on for the next update.

Good luck and let us know if you find a better solution!

Modern 

Message 35 of 46
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you are experiencing disconnects send me a PM with your name,email, and phone number and I will get you in contact with support to troubleshoot the issue.

DarrenM

Message 36 of 46
Majorninth
Aspirant

I started this thread on 9/28. Latest update. This morning my satellite was showing a blue ring. Then it was off. I don't remember if it went white at all. Continued to work fine. Everything has been working fine as far as i knew untill tonight. Tonight while doing light surfing orbi went disconnected. This has been the first failure since I started this thread. There were no ring lights on either the orbi main or satellite. Ssid was 5bars on all bands on both routers. Orbi app and consoles were unavailable. Pressed sync button on orbi main. Blinking white on main no ring lite on satellite. Came back online. App and consoles functional. Back on line. Orbi app now has a red bar displayed that says reboot router.

Message 37 of 46
TexBuck
Aspirant

Saw an error in my original post, and want to clarify that the other mesh system I tried after Apple was the Eero system which could not consistently maintain a XBOX Live connection.

I hope I don't sound like a Netgear fanboy here, I am not.  My Orbi has just worked better than anything I tried so far.  Try to make a long story not so long.  

- I had an Apple Extreme Router and the signal was weak in some parts of my house and I would get red bars and poor connections on my one or both of my XBOX 1s, but other than that worked fine.

- Ordered Eero - worked great 99%+ of the time, but every couple of hours would momentarily drop (< 1 sec ) and kick both XBOXs off line.  Great friendly Tech support, but didn't know how to fix it and acknowledged it was an issue.  Returned while in 30 day window.

- Bought upper line Netflix with 2 range extenders.  Never could get the range extenders to work with XBOXs.  But chased a wierd problem that didn't allow one or both XBOXs to host online games. Well after the 30 days finally tracked down the router was setting up NAT to closed.  Linksys said it was impossible to have 2 XBOXs on the same router.  I infomred it sucessfully worked for years on the Apple router, said it was impossible. 

- Went to Micorsoft store, and they said routers are very finicky keep on buying them figuring out what works and return the ones that don't.  My Netgear trial cost was $600+.

- Got my Orbi at Costco, lifetime satisfaction guarantee.  Specifically checked, if a firmware breaks it in a year, can bring it back.  

If you are looking for a company that is perfect, I hope you find it and please email me the answer.  

I do admit I am very surprsied at Netgear for the following reasons:

- I assumed I could roll back firmware and have what I started with and it would still work.  The rolling back firmware doesn't really go back to firmware is surprising

- It seems like these companies would have one person that actually responded to their forums at some point.  If the attitude is we don't care and don't read it, I would think the way to maximize profits for the shareholder would be to shut down the form.  

- Maybe it is cynical, I don't really expect anybody to provide any good answers.  I do hope they are lurking to know what they need to focus on for the next update.

Good luck and let us know if you find a better solution!

Modern 

Message 38 of 46
TexBuck
Aspirant

Darren,

I don't see a way to PM you with the information you requested.  I went about a week last time before I had to reboot.  Much better than my every 1-2 days and some other experiences.

If you think someone can help me or you want me to try some iterations to see if I can correct, let me know how to get my informaiton with you.  When I had my Eero system, they were having me try different connections/running in bridge mode/DMZ servers etc to trouble shoot.

TexBuck

Message 39 of 46
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You should be able to click my name and in the top left of my profile it says send a private message.

DarrenM

Message 40 of 46

Planning to move myself from 1.12.0.18 to 2.0.0.74 later today.  Confident of my abilities since I do this for a living.  But as a 15 yr Netgear user both Pro-Safe and Consumer products, I have not been "wowed" with the Orbi's performance thusfar.  Have only had it 2 months and purposely waited to buy (a year) believeing this would improve my probability for success avoiding the early adopters hardware/software issues that are cropping up.  I am now strongly questioning my purchase decision.  It doesn't mean I'll never buy Netgear again, but does make you leery after throwing down $400+, for something that appears to only be capable of offering marginal reliability and performance. 

NetGear - Keep the FW updates coming guys... and we'll keep testing it for you. 

Message 41 of 46
dsegel
Tutor

Interestingly enough, I unplugged my two satellites last week in preparation of sending it all back, then decided to wait a few more days.

I haven't had a single problem since then. I'm going to add back one of the satellites this weekend and see what happens.
Message 42 of 46
LarrR
Tutor

I would guess that many of us are fairly knowledgeable of networking, at least when it comes to WiFi and home. The issues that we are encountering are at least firmware problems (or worse, hardware problems). I wouldn't count on your professional knowledge being the descriminator. All that I have done is install network, do a factory reset, install the most recent firmware, and do the simplest configuration following Netgear's app. But, if you find anything significant (like being able to clear out all router memory and starting), please let us know and describe how you did it. Many thanks.

PS, I have installed a router before the Orbi, put the Orbi in AP mode, and connected all wired devices to the router not to the Orbi. This seems to be keeping my wired devices running and the WiFi devices very happy with the Orbi's excellent coverrage of my house.

Message 43 of 46
KDubya
Aspirant

Unfortunately, what's likely to happen is the satellite will foul connectivity for all devices that attempt to connect to it.  My own satellite has been functionally useless and disconnected for several weeks now - I keep checking back hoping the manufacturer will acknowledge the problem and provide a solution.  Nobody wants to spend time maintaining this stuff, even if it is your profession...

Message 44 of 46
ISulaiman
Tutor

Just a quick summary of what I have done:

Tried a few things that have been suggested here (corrected time, disabled daisy chain, disabled UPnP, reset) and it was still dropping internet intermittently. Finally, I hard reset it, loaded the old FW and let it get updated with the latest one. It's been about 20 hours now and it seems to be working. So that might be worth trying. However, I am using it as an AP now as I already bought another router. 

Message 45 of 46
LHZ
Guide
Guide

Congratulations Netgear on the worst software release I have ever experienced. Bug ridden, unstable, unusable wifi firmware. My system had been working fine for 6 months since buying. I cant use the internet if conencted to one of the two satelittes, they loose connection way too frequently. Just roll us all back to version 1.x please. Give us the option - dont force this update on us. This 2.x version is unusable. Even a hardwire connection to the orbi fails.

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7