Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fluctuation on speed?

RedBatman89
Guide

Fluctuation on speed?

Hi so I have noticed at times that the speeds for my RBK23 unit will fluctuate. Frome Comcast I have the Blast package which gives me 250 Mbps and up and 10Mbps upload. You see normally for my speeds I get 250-300Mbps down and 11-12Mbps when I'm connected straight to the router (though it gets closer to 290-300). When I'm onnected to one of my sattelites I will get the 250-300 range while at times able to be in the consistant 290 and up range, but I will get lower speeds sometimes. I will sometimes get into the 220-240 range or in the 180-230 range. Now after awhile it will go back up to my Blast speeds. If not I will power cycle and that will usally fix it.

What boggles me is that I have left my Orbi router and sattelities in the same area and have not moved them to differnt rooms. Aside from a few inches moved here and there they have remained in the same place for the past year. My firmware is at 2.3.5.26 and it has always seemed to do this since I first got this unit last year. Any ideas why this happens? Is it just the growing pains of having mesh wifi?

PS. Yes I have daiychain turned off and no MMUMIMO and no Implicit Beamforming either. My units are in the apporpiate range of 20-40 feet distance and they have 5Ghz connection with a blue light when connecting to the router after a powercycle. 

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Fluctuation on speed?

I hope this is intellectual curiosity.  Most of us would be delirious to have 180mb speed.

Seriously, I believe Comcast promises "up to 250mb", not "always at least 250mb".  The actual download speed at any instant is going to be a function of the network load and even the load on the "speed server" that is being used to calculate speed.

So, my question is: "When the speed drops, does it stay down for a long time, until you restart the Orbi?"

A quick experiment would be to sign up for something like this: https://testmy.net/auto   (It's the first thing that popped up on a Google search.  I am sure there are others.)  Another experiment is to "wait it out".  i.e. when a speed drop is detected, do not recycle the Orbi and see if the higher speed returns.

Message 2 of 3
RedBatman89
Guide

Re: Fluctuation on speed?

Yes this is just intellectual curiosity. Like I said the speed does come back after awhile. I'm just more or less curious with why it happens. I mean when I'm connected directly to the main router (rbr20) I will get 290-300 Mbps download and 11-12Mbps upload on both wired and wireless. But when I connect to a  sattleite (rbs20) I will notice that at times when I do a speed test it will get a little slower for me on both wirless and wired. 

I mean its just a little weried to me since I have the placed the sattleities in the optimal places to get great speed. While my main router is technically in the basement, its not a tradiontal basment. Its more like a downstairs office and bedroom. No concrete walls obstructing anthying. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7