Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fooling an Orbi to support a USB drive?

Network42
Aspirant

Fooling an Orbi to support a USB drive?

I posted previously about my consideration of an RBK50.  I currently use a Time Capsule for Time Machine backups.  This setup works well for me, so I am not sure I need to go with an Orbi and a full NAS unless there is no way to get a USB drive to work with the Orbi.  I note that in the Orbi's setup guide it says you can plug the Orbi directly into your modem, or you can plug it into an existing gateway if you turn off the gateway.

This makes me wonder if I could plug an Orbi into my modem, then connect my Time Capsule (unplugged or plugged-in with its WAN port empty) to the Orbi, LAN port to LAN port, and plug a USB drive into the Time Capsule's USB port.  I also have an Airport Express that I could use instead of the Time Capsule.

Since I have always considered a USB drive plugged into an Airport router as a "poor man's NAS", I wonder if the Orbi might actually accept a USB drive connected to one of its LAN ports as a NAS?  Has anyone tried this?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Fooling an Orbi to support a USB drive?

@Network42 wrote:

This makes me wonder if I could plug an Orbi into my modem, then connect my Time Capsule (unplugged or plugged-in with its WAN port empty) to the Orbi, LAN port to LAN port,  

I have this working well for me. I use Orbi to provide wifi coverage and routing, and I use the Time Capsule only for the backups of the household's 4 MacBooks. I have radio switched off in the Time Capsule.

Message 2 of 3
Network42
Aspirant

Re: Fooling an Orbi to support a USB drive?

ekhalil,

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7