Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Force Satellite To Specific Device

ydlazkov
Tutor

Force Satellite To Specific Device

Hi,

I bought additional Orbi Satellite AC2200 to connect to our RBR40 router. Our wifi setup now have 2 satellites. The devices, (laptop, security cameras, and doorbell) nearest to the new satellites are still connecting to either the farthest satellite or to the RBR40 router. 

How can I force the devices to connect to the nearest satellite?

I tried turning off the farthest satellite for a moment, but as soon as I turn it back on, the devices would again connect to it or directly to the router.

I read another post similar to my issue but the suggested option is inconclusive. 

Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ydlazkov wrote:

Hi,

I bought additional Orbi Satellite AC2200 to connect to our RBR40 router. Our wifi setup now have 2 satellites. The devices, (laptop, security cameras, and doorbell) nearest to the new satellites are still connecting to either the farthest satellite or to the RBR40 router. 

I tried turning off the farthest satellite for a moment, but as soon as I turn it back on, the devices would again connect to it or directly to the router.

I read another post similar to my issue but the suggested option is inconclusive. 

Not sure why you want to do this.  The Orbi mesh is suppose to know what's best.  I doubt even if you could,  would you see any increase in speed.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

It is not always possible to get devices to connect where we want them to. You can try the experiment another way: turn off the DEVICE (which implies it no longer has a WiFi MAC address that it is waiting to reappear) then turn the device back on. There is supposed to be a negotiation between the device and APs where the Device chooses which one it will connect to. 

The previous poster is correct. Is it working? Be greatful not to be troubleshooting the damn thing. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@ydlazkov wrote:

Hi,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7