Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Force a device to 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

Forsthof
Guide

Force a device to 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

I have a wifi theromstat and an assocated Hub that is connected to the thermostat  - it controls my automated vents.  I am having major issue since switching to ORBI.  I believe it is related to the system automatically picking 2.4 or 5 GHZ....the thermostat can connect to either frequency, however, the hub can only connect to 2.4 GHZ - if they are not on the same network - the connection is lost.  I need to have the ability to force a device to a frequency - is this possible?

I am pretty sure it has to be becuse I when I was connecting my sling box to the wireless network - it picked up separate orbi channels for each frequency, however, this is the time that I have seen them in this manner.

Please help.  My home heating/cooling system is not longer functioning and I need a route to get it working.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

You cannot force a device to a particular band with Orbi.

What you describe shouldn't be happening--once a device connects to WiFi it should be able to communicate with other devices on the same network, regardless of which WiFi band or channel is used to connect.

Can you connect the hub to your network using a wire instead of WiFi?  If so, do that.

Do you have your old router or some other WiFi devices still active, and your thermostat or hub is still connecting to them? If you have any old WiFi APs active, turn them off.

Do you possibly have a guest network acitve, and your thermostat or hub is connecting to that?

Double check to make sure all your devices are actually connected to the Orbi network.

I'm curious what type of HVAC system you have that's dependent upon WiFi for proper operation.  Thermostat adjustments yes, but fundamental operation, no.   I haven't heard of that before.  That's not a very robust design.

Message 2 of 5
Forsthof
Guide

I finally figured out the issue I was experiencing...i had set a device with a fixed IP - not sure how but the ORBI had set another device to the same IP.  This wasn't visible on the orbi app - It doesn't always display devices and on the genie app - sometimes it lists duplicates...anyway, I down loaded a wifi analyzer app and after looking at it close I found two devices with the same IP.  It was my heating vent control hub and my servier...explains the intermittent access to both.

Everything is working fine now.  I seem to experience some issues when walking thru the house - not sure it transitions well but I am still gather data.

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Glad you figured it out. If you manually set a device to a fixed IP, you should create a reserved IP address for the device in Orbi. That will prevent Orbi from using the IP for another device.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Gald to hear that - simply because of all the Orbi (LAN) Ethernet ports, all 2.4 and 5 GHz interface are in the same layer 2 network. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7