Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Forcing Guest SSID to be 2.4

Re: Forcing Guest SSID to be 2.4

@SW_ wrote:

If Orbi doesn't disable the 5GHz radio and merely hides 5GHz SSID from clients, then it's a hidden 5GHz network and should continue to work normally as you've described.

The clue is in the "button" you have to press.

It says Enable SSID Broadcast.

The manual makes it even clearer:

If you clear this checkbox, that creates a hidden network.

Message 26 of 40
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks @michaelkenward & @CrimpOn!

I'll use this to hide all my IoT devices from the public.  I'll disable SSID broadcast on my Guest Network and see how it goes.

Message 27 of 40
JeriD
Star

Thanks again to all with suggestions. I wasn't able to test further because my network was too busy with family using it (at least during my waking hours). Next time I am home and can take down the network, I will backup my current settings and try to determine the correct interface so that I can determine how to create the separately named Guest network SSID. But honestly at this point, following one of  two suggestions made above may actually be less hassle:

- Buy different bulbs that are easier to configure.

- Buy a cheap 2.4 access point to use just while configuring.

I will still just so I can close this out see if i can get SSID Guest broadcast disabled for 5G network only and report back.

Message 28 of 40
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes - Those two options are definitely simpler and less risky.

Message 29 of 40
CrimpOn
Guru

temporarily stopping the 5G SSID broadcast should not interfere with other users.  Remember, the "key" step is to tell your smartphone to "forget" the Orbi WiFi and then search for nearby WiFi networks.  The Orbi 2.4G will pop up, and the smartphone should connect at 2.4G.

Message 30 of 40
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

Temporarily stopping the 5G SSID broadcast should not affect any 5G devices that are already connected and working. 

True. The SSID broadcast exists to make life easier for wifi clients to find the source. Disabling SSID broadcast does not mean that the SSID is not there for devices to connect to it.

This is easily tested. Disable the SSID broadcast, then connect to the SSID by entering its name and password. Voila!

Some people use this as security feature. That may be why it exists.

The bottom line is that disabling SSID broadcast is not the same as turning off the 5 GHz wifi.

Disabling SSID isn't going to knock off existing wifi clients unless the people who wrote the software for the thing are terminally incompetent. Sadly, the skills of some of these people make this an all too likely event.

I put this theory to test last night with my Orbi setup and disabled SSID broadcast on my Guest Network.  The result is a mixed bag!

After disabling SSID broadcast last night, it has knocked one of my NEST thermostats offline this morning.  Even after a manual rebooting the thermostat, it didn't connect to the hidden network either.  After manually entering the SSID/password info again, it's able to connect and has been back online since.

Message 31 of 40
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I just manually rebooted the other thermostat to see if it'll automatically reeconnect to the hidden SSID, it didn't.  Bummer!

Message 32 of 40
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JeriD wrote:

I will still just so I can close this out see if i can get SSID Guest broadcast disabled for 5G network only and report back.

I can confirm that disabling SSID Guest broadcast will disable SSID broadcast on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Message 33 of 40
STGibson14
Aspirant

@CrimpOn - just curious - did your solution of purchasing an inexpensive WiFi repeater work?  I purchased a set of Feit color changing smart bulbs for use outside.  Three of the 4 connect with no issue; the 4th one will sometimes connect, then goes offline - I can't get it to stay connected to the network.  If your solution worked, I'll likely purchase one myself and install it in the garage, where it will be (much) close to the troublesome bulb.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 34 of 40
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, it did work.You will have to reset the bulb and set it up again becasue the Extender creates a different WiFi SSID ("orbiwifi_EXT")

Whatever router is now assigning IP addresses will continue to do so.  Plus, you will see a new device in the table (the extender).

For a 2.4G light bulb, I would get the cheaper ($20) 2.4G only extender.  Actually, it could be any brand.  I simply purchased Netgear because the forum asked about it.

Message 35 of 40
STGibson14
Aspirant

Awesome - thanks!  I just went out and managed to re-add the bulb, and (for the moment) it is connected to my network.  If it drops out again, I think I'll try your solution.  Appreciate the feedback!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 40
JeriD
Star

I apologize but I realized that I never repllied back on my solution. Turns out my son had an old IPhone 4 which still worked and only supports 2.4. As old as it is, I was able to download and use the Feit app and program all of the light bulbs with no problem at all. So, that's my solution for now. No swapping out routers/repeaters and no change to the Orbi configuration.
Message 37 of 40

@JeriD wrote:

Turns out my son had an old IPhone 4 which still worked and only supports 2.4.

That's good news.

Now you can stop nagging him to clear out that old stuff!

Message 38 of 40
JeriD
Star

Yes. Best use of an Iphone 4 I can think of. Turns out I've discovered he's a hoarder. The other day I needed a 100 foot long ethernet cable for a test, and out he comes from his room with it like it was routine!

Message 39 of 40

@JeriD wrote:

Turns out I've discovered he's a hoarder. The other day I needed a 100 foot long ethernet cable for a test, and out he comes from his room with it like it was routine!

I love it.

Sounds a bit like my stash of old stuff. You never know when you might need it.

Anyone needs some IDE hard-drive cables?

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7